The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

"If the Trudeau Liberals can purchase the pipeline, get it built and then sell it on without losing shed-loads of taxpayers’ cash, their gamble will have paid off.

But the prime minister will wear this politically, if money is lost or the pipeline isn’t built – principally because it was the actions taken by his government in cancelling Northern Gateway and raising the regulatory bar on Energy East (not to mention imposing a tanker moratorium off the west coast) that have brought us to this potentially usurious impasse."

"But what can be said with confidence is that Ottawa wouldn’t have been forced to haggle with an 800 lb corporate gorilla, if it hadn’t limited its options to one that is the equivalent of trying to build an airport in a downtown core."

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-ottawa-haggling-over-kinder-morgan-pipeline-purchase-with-800lb-gorilla

Whoa....

Horgan going BIG GUNS today claiming he's asking the feds to look in to price fixing from big oil at the pumps.

Hard to say that they aren't in all honesty.  Even more hard to not get behind this regardless of who you support or don't support.  I think we ALL have argued that their is obvious price fixing going on in the markets in canada.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-premier-calls-for-federal-action-into-pumped-up-gas-prices-in-metro-vancouver-1.3944183

B.C. Premier John Horgan has joined a chorus of consumer advocates and industry experts calling for a federal investigation into pumped up gas prices in Metro Vancouver.

Speaking to reporters in Vancouver on Thursday, Horgan said he was ready to take the issue all the way to the prime minister.

"British Columbians are driving to the pumps and they're outraged that the costs are going up and they can't explain why," he said. "I would certainly welcome the federal government to get into the game here and protect consumers."

The price of gasoline in the region is sitting at a once-unthinkable 161.9 cents per litre, and everyone from academics to fed up drivers is pleading for the government to look into how retailers set fuel prices.

But Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr told CTV News the feds are not currently planning to do anything to lower the price of gas in B.C.

"Well, the government of Canada doesn't set the price of gas and you know that," he said.

But even though the government doesn't set prices, it could still force gas companies to explain them.

Earlier in our Pumped up Prices investigation, CTV asked gasoline retailers like Chevron, Petro Canada, Super Save Gas and Otter Co-op who is responsible for setting fuel prices. Not a single one agreed to talk.

Greater transparency, Horgan said, is something he would like to see.

"I'll be talking to the prime minister I'm sure about oil related issues in the next number of days and I'll bring that up,” he said.

He mentioned when British Columbians saw a previous spike in gas prices in 2008 and 2009 that the price of a barrel of crude oil was headed to $150 USD. But even though a barrel of crude costs about half that now, about $70 USD, gas prices are still higher than ever.

"So it's not a commodity price question," Horgan said. "Is it gouging? Is it collusion among the providers?"

He also asked if it could be retailers taking advantage of political debates around the Trans Mountain pipeline project, which exports diluted bitumen, to make the argument that it's having an effect on refined product.

Lindsay Meredith, an SFU marketing professor, said he expects the government will have to do a formal investigation into the margins being charged for retail wholesale distribution of gasoline in order to get some transparency.

"I believe the government has a much more active role to take," he said.

Horgan said his provincial government is ready. And he wants the feds to be, too.

"Somewhere along the line someone's making a lot of money. And it's not the government and it's not the travelling public," Horgan said.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Whoa....

Horgan going BIG GUNS today claiming he's asking the feds to look in to price fixing from big oil at the pumps.

Hard to say that they aren't in all honesty.  Even more hard to not get behind this regardless of who you support or don't support.  I think we ALL have argued that their is obvious price fixing going on in the markets in canada.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-premier-calls-for-federal-action-into-pumped-up-gas-prices-in-metro-vancouver-1.3944183

B.C. Premier John Horgan has joined a chorus of consumer advocates and industry experts calling for a federal investigation into pumped up gas prices in Metro Vancouver.

Speaking to reporters in Vancouver on Thursday, Horgan said he was ready to take the issue all the way to the prime minister.

"British Columbians are driving to the pumps and they're outraged that the costs are going up and they can't explain why," he said. "I would certainly welcome the federal government to get into the game here and protect consumers."

The price of gasoline in the region is sitting at a once-unthinkable 161.9 cents per litre, and everyone from academics to fed up drivers is pleading for the government to look into how retailers set fuel prices.

But Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr told CTV News the feds are not currently planning to do anything to lower the price of gas in B.C.

"Well, the government of Canada doesn't set the price of gas and you know that," he said.

But even though the government doesn't set prices, it could still force gas companies to explain them.

Earlier in our Pumped up Prices investigation, CTV asked gasoline retailers like Chevron, Petro Canada, Super Save Gas and Otter Co-op who is responsible for setting fuel prices. Not a single one agreed to talk.

"I'll be talking to the prime minister I'm sure about oil related issues in the next number of days and I'll bring that up,” he said.

He mentioned when British Columbians saw a previous spike in gas prices in 2008 and 2009 that the price of a barrel of crude oil was headed to $150 USD. But even though a barrel of crude costs about half that now, about $70 USD, gas prices are still higher than ever.

"So it's not a commodity price question," Horgan said. "Is it gouging? Is it collusion among the providers?"

He also asked if it could be retailers taking advantage of political debates around the Trans Mountain pipeline project, which exports diluted bitumen, to make the argument that it's having an effect on refined product.

Lindsay Meredith, an SFU marketing professor, said he expects the government will have to do a formal investigation into the margins being charged for retail wholesale distribution of gasoline in order to get some transparency.

Horgan said his provincial government is ready. And he wants the feds to be, too.

"Somewhere along the line someone's making a lot of money. And it's not the government and it's not the travelling public," Horgan said.

I worked at a gas station in high school. There was a company called Viper that would call and ask your price. Any gas station could call in and get the competitors pricing. It was a large part of the price fixing structure. One day a coworker said we were charging 45.9 cents per liter when it was actually 49.5...  This set off a 5 hour gas war where it got to 28 cents....I filled up every jerry can we had at the station..   

I paid $1.58 the other day....   28 cents....

46 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Whoa....

A bunch of red herring by Horgan.   The reason we have such high gas prices is because of taxes.

Metro Vancouver drivers pay more than 43 cents of tax per litre on gasoline.

Ten cents of that is federal excise tax, while an additional 33.28 cents is levelled provincially. According to the province, 17 cents of that is a special, regional TransLink fuel tax. Then there’s GST

From: https://globalnews.ca/news/4227675/gas-tax-mobility-pricing/

So actually the government  is making a lot of money.  The more the gas retailers raise the price of gas  the more money the government rakes in.

55 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I worked at a gas station in high school. There was a company called Viper that would call and ask your price. Any gas station could call in and get the competitors pricing. It was a large part of the price fixing structure. One day a coworker said we were charging 45.9 cents per liter when it was actually 49.5...  This set off a 5 hour gas war where it got to 28 cents....I filled up every jerry can we had at the station..   

I paid $1.58 the other day....   28 cents....

We used to have a small chain of local gas stations here in Victoria called Payless Gas.  They used to launch gas wars all the time.  The best one I remember, would have been almost 30 years ago.  Gas was typically about 50 or 60 cents a litre.  Payless dropped it to 16.9 for a weekend and then 0.9 for a couple of hours.  Those gas wars earned them lots of loyal companies.

Eventually, Payless got bought up by Shell and we have never seen a real gas war around here since.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, DonLever said:

A bunch of red herring by Horgan.   The reason we have such high gas prices is because of taxes.

From: https://globalnews.ca/news/4227675/gas-tax-mobility-pricing/

So actually the government  is making a lot of money.  The more the gas retailers raise the price of gas  the more money the government rakes in.

No...no it isn't  taxes and I don't give a randy shart what BS link or argument people keep posting to justify that claim

In 2008 the taxes on fuel outside of the lower mainland were only 5 cents lower than they are now.  oil was $142 a barrel.  $1.25 at the pumps

In 2017 oil was $46 a barrel.  $1.55 at the pumps.

Taxes don't change overnight.  Production costs don't all of a sudden sky rocket.  Having every major refinery magically need maintenance at the exact same time is wondrous.  Labour costs are cheaper now than they were in 2008.  We have more actual supply over the last 4 years than at any other time in modern history.    We have more refining capacity as well.

There is no justification for the high costs of fuel at the pumps other than corporate greed and the knowledge that people NEED to drive, that without fuel people will starve

When you say red herring what you really mean is that you know that there is in fact something going in regards to price fixing on but that we all know the government makes money hand over fist on taxation so much like when they say tobacco is bad and people shouldn't smoke, they're still gonna sell it because $$$$$$$$

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 3

Of course the federal government won't do anything to help people at the pumps. What a joke. I wish the people of BC had the wherewithal to pull off a general strike and boycott gas stations for a day or two.

The complicit and complacent Canadian population must be like a wet dream to the career politicians that slither in Ottawa. "We can do literally anything to these dopes, and they just keep on taking it! Let's raise the federal excise tax a couple of cents! I need a new Mercedes."

31 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

We used to have a small chain of local gas stations here in Victoria called Payless Gas.  They used to launch gas wars all the time.  The best one I remember, would have been almost 30 years ago.  Gas was typically about 50 or 60 cents a litre.  Payless dropped it to 16.9 for a weekend and then 0.9 for a couple of hours.  Those gas wars earned them lots of loyal companies.

Eventually, Payless got bought up by Shell and we have never seen a real gas war around here since.

Payless was in a few places on the island. We had one in CR.  They started huge multi-day gas war in the mid 80s where is it got below as low as 5 cents.  

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No...no it isn't  taxes and I don't give a randy shart what BS link or argument people keep posting to justify that claim

In 2008 the taxes on fuel outside of the lower mainland were only 5 cents lower than they are now.  oil was $142 a barrel.  $1.25 at the pumps

In 2017 oil was $46 a barrel.  $1.55 at the pumps.

Taxes don't change overnight.  Production costs don't all of a sudden sky rocket.  Having every major refinery magically need maintenance at the exact same time is wondrous.  Labour costs are cheaper now than they were in 2008.  We have more actual supply over the last 4 years than at any other time in modern history.    We have more refining capacity as well.

There is no justification for the high costs of fuel at the pumps other than corporate greed and the knowledge that people NEED to drive, that without fuel people will starve

When you say red herring what you really mean is that you know that there is in fact something going in regards to price fixing on but that we all know the government makes money hand over fist on taxation so much like when they say tobacco is bad and people shouldn't smoke, they're still gonna sell it because $$$$$$$$

Like I said previously, these retailers know they’ve got close to a million customers (BCAA lower mainland numbers), is it any wonder that they can’t help but look a gift horse in the mouth?

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Payless was in a few places on the island. We had one in CR.  They started huge multi-day gas war in the mid 80s where is it got below as low as 5 cents.  

I didn't realize they made it that far up the island.  I had only just started driving back then and Mom wouldn't let me take the family car over the Malahat.  :D

4 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I didn't realize they made it that far up the island.  I had only just started driving back then and Mom wouldn't let me take the family car over the Malahat.  :D

hah!  I was a kid then but clearly remember it because we didn't have a ton of money then and mom was stoked we could visit family in Duncan for like $15 for the weekend :)

Edited by Gnarcore

So many heroes....

UPDATE: Anglican priest arrested after chaining herself to tree at Burnaby Trans Mountain terminal

The two women began their protest around 7:30 a.m. They were identified by a friend as Rev. Laurel Dykstra and Lini Hutchings, both members of Salal and Cedar, an Anglican church part of the Diocese of New Westminster. Around the same time, a group of protesters from Protect the Inlet began blocking trucks from leaving Kinder Morgan’s Westridge marine terminal in North Burnaby. Some thirty people had gathered on site that morning. Burnaby RCMP arrived at both locations around 8:30 a.m.

As of Friday afternoon, two other demonstrators had been arrested at the marine terminal.

Officers were seen approaching Dykstra and Hutchings to inform them they were violating an injunction from the Supreme Court of B.C. that prevents people from coming within five metres of the two Trans Mountain terminals and from blocking work from being completed.

Patti Powell, who is Hutchings’ sister, said the two women were compelled by their beliefs to protest.

“They’re both principled women who know and believe this is a degradation against the safety and the integrity of this part of the world,” she told the NOW. “Both Laurel and Lini are not grandstanders at all. They’re both quite quiet and introverted people, and they don’t seek attention a lot. When they come out and do an action like this, they do it with a lot of thought and consideration and conviction.”

Rev. Emelie Smith, the parish priest at St. Barnabas Anglican Church in New Westminster, said the two women were protesting because of their religious beliefs.

“I think it’s an act of faith. I think people should know they are doing this out of their deep Christian faith and need to protect the planet,” she said.

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/update-anglican-priest-arrested-after-chaining-herself-to-tree-at-burnaby-trans-mountain-terminal-1.23314258

• Upvote 1