The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

of the 15 remaining refineries only 2 are creating car fuel of any kind from canadian oil.  The rest are processing jet fuel, oil from over seas and items for plastics and petroleum industrial usage.

I 100% agree.  Over the last 30+ years we've seen 20 shut down.  Those 20 were the ones that created our fuel, diesel and jet fuel.    Without a steady supply from Canadian sources we are beholden to OPEC and the US

We need pipelines to tidewater on both coasts but we also need more refineries.  Kinder Morgan might be possibly the safest line and route available in Canada as it is not making new routes nor is it doing more than increasing existing capacity.  Anyone cheering for the shut down or possible stoppage of this must enjoy paying more for everything and traveling less.

Because if there's a necessary evil in this industry, KM is probably the least invasive of all of them

Why I love riding a motorbike as much of the year as I can....  $10-20 a week and that includes all my trail riding :)

1 hour ago, Fateless said:

I do not think it is in Canada's interest to spend billions of dollars developing fossil fuel infrastructure when the end of fossil fuels as we know it is within sight. 

Well then you should be happy to know Canada isn't spending any money on this pipeline.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Oh, should have added Alberta into people that will be declaring economic war on BC......

Ya...see I dunno about that

BC has ports.  Alberta doesn't.  It's the root cause of thoe whole issue.

I don't agree with what Horgan/Weaver are doing as they should have just let the courts decide it

But Alberta declaring a trade war on BC would go badly for Alberta in the long run

Possibly the most shocking thing is Horgans unwillingness to work with Notley.  A pipeline ensures Notley a far better chance at re-election than no pipeline.  Her standing up so hard for Alberta is obviously a good thing optically but results are results.

Horgan and Weaver have to know that a centrist NDP in Alberta is FAR more palatable than the religiously driven corporate friendly idiocy that is the UCP and Kenney

4 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

As I have said before, Horgan and Weaver can join hands and sing kumbaya in front of the bulldozers, and the feds will just override them in the national interest, as is their right, making sure than not only the oil, but even a pipeline, is coming through, now don't you worry, I still am sticking to that.

However, let's just say team Green wins. Watch how fast you see $20/l for gas, if you can find it. Big oil can just turn off the tap. Never, ever, EVER get in a fight with the railroads. They always win, and have the feds in their pocket.

I was wondering how long it would take the NDP to do something stupid. At least this time it's completely inconsequential.

:lol: how do you really feel Ron?

I don't mind the push for better systems for dil bit cleanup, or I suppose we can just let it burn until it sinks like they're doing in the south china sea recently (http://www.dw.com/en/oil-tanker-in-east-china-sea-bursts-into-flames-and-sinks/a-42141830)

It really annoyed me that Harper brushed off R&D around bitumen cleanup, but if this move kicks some more safety development into action that's a good thing. But ultimately you are probably right nothing will stop it, other than a very far reaching and controversial supreme court decision.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is that really the case though? There have been a couple of proposals for a new BC refinery, one of them is actually a group of First Nations investors with the Aqulini's. Personally I love the idea of a First Nations group being the primary beneficiaries of a project like this for economic and historical reasons. 

@Jimmy McGill heres the latest on that , a few hurdles , but  agofundme? is one I don't get, given the 2 players.......theres also a proposal for a refinery between terrace and kitamat ..

Q&A

Indigenous-led energy company plans GoFundMe to legally challenge federal tanker moratorium

Eagle Spirit Energy has launched GoFundMe account to raise funds for legal effort

CBC News Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:49 AM MT Last Updated: Jan 26, 2018 2:21 PM MT

Calvin Helin, shown in an image from the CBC TV series 8th Fire, is chairman and president of Eagle Spirit Energy. He says the company has launched a GoFundMe account to raise funds for a legal campaign challenging the federal oil tanker ban off B.C.'s coast.

Calvin Helin, shown in an image from the CBC TV series 8th Fire, is chairman and president of Eagle Spirit Energy. He says the company has launched a GoFundMe account to raise funds for a legal campaign challenging the federal oil tanker ban off B.C.'s coast. (CBC)

Over the past several years, Indigenous groups have gone to court to try to stop energy projects, arguing they were not adequately consulted.

But this week, an Indigenous-led energy company announced it will sue the federal government for the opposite reason.

Eagle Spirit Energy wants to build a pipeline from Alberta to northern B.C. — with backing from the Vancouver-based Aquilini Investment group — but says a federal oil tanker ban, Bill C-48, is getting in the way.

Eagle Spirit Energy has also launched a GoFundMe account to raise funds for the legal effort, said Calvin Helin, chairman and president of the company.

The GoFundMe campaign is attributed to an organization called the Chiefs Council, which Eagle Spirit Energy says represents 30 First Nations from Alberta to the B.C. Coast. However, Eagle Spirit has not provided a list of who is on the Chiefs Council.

Several First Nations on the proposed pipeline route confirmed to CBC they were not affiliated with the GoFundMe campaign.

Helin is critical of the oil tanker ban, which was set up in part for the protection of the Great Bear Rainforest, which he said is a "fictional idea cooked up by American environmentalists."

However, some local Indigenous voices have expressed concern, too.

Jess Housty, an elected councillor with the Heiltsuk First Nation on B.C.'s coast, has been supportive of the moratorium and other efforts to protect the rainforest and coastal waters.

"If a pipeline were to go through, while the Nations whose territory it passes through might feel that it is positive economic development, we need to be aware that there are other Nations elsewhere whose values are put at risk," she said.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So glad to hear this great news.

Hopefully by keeping more dirty Tar sludge in the ground we can slow down global warming .

The thought of a leaky pipeline leaking more dirty oil into my local environment was pretty stressful  ... not to mention that chances of an oil spill in Vancouver harbour.

Just way to big a risk to take for a city so focused on tourism....

Celebrating tonight.  Fantastic news. 

4 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

The world powers can control oil and nuclear energy.   Cant control the sun and water as of yet but that's in the works

Dyson Sphere!

Read a couple books a few years back by Chuck Palahniuk, Damned and Doomed. Super fun, like the Breakfast Club...only set in Hell. Anyway the underlying theme is that we are killing the earth riding around on 'dinosaur juice'.

Not looking forward to this battle. I need to get up to speed though on both sides of the disagreement. 

Edited by bishopshodan

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Ya...see I dunno about that

BC has ports.  Alberta doesn't.  It's the root cause of thoe whole issue.

I don't agree with what Horgan/Weaver are doing as they should have just let the courts decide it

But Alberta declaring a trade war on BC would go badly for Alberta in the long run

Possibly the most shocking thing is Horgans unwillingness to work with Notley.  A pipeline ensures Notley a far better chance at re-election than no pipeline.  Her standing up so hard for Alberta is obviously a good thing optically but results are results.

Horgan and Weaver have to know that a centrist NDP in Alberta is FAR more palatable than the religiously driven corporate friendly idiocy that is the UCP and Kenney

A trade war between provinces would be brutal period. But Alberta could badly hurt B.C hip. Especially if it comes to blocking pipelines.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

So glad to hear this great news.

Hopefully by keeping more dirty Tar sludge in the ground we can slow down global warming .

The thought of a leaky pipeline leaking more dirty oil into my local environment was pretty stressful  ... not to mention that chances of an oil spill in Vancouver harbour.

Just way to big a risk to take for a city so focused on tourism....

Celebrating tonight.  Fantastic news. 

This keeps you stressed? You know what also leak a lot of oil? All those cars on the road.

You know where it goes? Onto the roadways.

You know where that goes? Well, everything that happens to drain that way, which is a lot of area, into the Vancouver harbor your relieved is saved!

You know how contaminated it already is? VERY!

You know what else goes in there every time there's a heavy rain? Raw sewage!

Don't start celebrating just yet!

Oh, and P.S. it's pretty hard to make bike lanes without bitumen......

Edited by ronthecivil
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

@Jimmy McGill heres the latest on that , a few hurdles , but  agofundme? is one I don't get, given the 2 players.......theres also a proposal for a refinery between terrace and kitamat ..

Q&A

Indigenous-led energy company plans GoFundMe to legally challenge federal tanker moratorium

Eagle Spirit Energy has launched GoFundMe account to raise funds for legal effort

CBC News Posted: Jan 26, 2018 11:49 AM MT Last Updated: Jan 26, 2018 2:21 PM MT

Calvin Helin, shown in an image from the CBC TV series 8th Fire, is chairman and president of Eagle Spirit Energy. He says the company has launched a GoFundMe account to raise funds for a legal campaign challenging the federal oil tanker ban off B.C.'s coast.

Calvin Helin, shown in an image from the CBC TV series 8th Fire, is chairman and president of Eagle Spirit Energy. He says the company has launched a GoFundMe account to raise funds for a legal campaign challenging the federal oil tanker ban off B.C.'s coast. (CBC)

Over the past several years, Indigenous groups have gone to court to try to stop energy projects, arguing they were not adequately consulted.

But this week, an Indigenous-led energy company announced it will sue the federal government for the opposite reason.

Eagle Spirit Energy wants to build a pipeline from Alberta to northern B.C. — with backing from the Vancouver-based Aquilini Investment group — but says a federal oil tanker ban, Bill C-48, is getting in the way.

Eagle Spirit Energy has also launched a GoFundMe account to raise funds for the legal effort, said Calvin Helin, chairman and president of the company.

The GoFundMe campaign is attributed to an organization called the Chiefs Council, which Eagle Spirit Energy says represents 30 First Nations from Alberta to the B.C. Coast. However, Eagle Spirit has not provided a list of who is on the Chiefs Council.

Several First Nations on the proposed pipeline route confirmed to CBC they were not affiliated with the GoFundMe campaign.

Helin is critical of the oil tanker ban, which was set up in part for the protection of the Great Bear Rainforest, which he said is a "fictional idea cooked up by American environmentalists."

However, some local Indigenous voices have expressed concern, too.

Jess Housty, an elected councillor with the Heiltsuk First Nation on B.C.'s coast, has been supportive of the moratorium and other efforts to protect the rainforest and coastal waters.

"If a pipeline were to go through, while the Nations whose territory it passes through might feel that it is positive economic development, we need to be aware that there are other Nations elsewhere whose values are put at risk," she said.

well thats interesting.... it would probably be more effective if it was against tanker traffic but things just keep getting weirder don't they on this issue. 

2 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

This keeps you stressed? You know what also leak a lot of oil? All those cars on the road.

You know where it goes? Onto the roadways.

You know where that goes? Well, everything that happens to drain that way, which is a lot of area, into the Vancouver harbor your relieved is saved!

You know how contaminated it already is? VERY!

You know what else goes in there every time there's a heavy rain? Raw sewage!

Don't start celebrating just yet!

Oh, and P.S. it's pretty hard to make bike lanes without bitumen......

Love BC

So PROUD of my province...

The B.C. government claims it has the legal authority to restrict the bitumen travelling through the province via pipeline.

The province’s Environmental Management Act gives it the right to take action that would protect B.C.’s coastline and environment, said Environment Minister George Heyman.

beautiful-BC.jpg

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

A trade war between provinces would be brutal period. But Alberta could badly hurt B.C hip. Especially if it comes to blocking pipelines.

Trade wars are never a good thing.

But protecting the earth from global warming has to be our first priority.

The more dirty bitumen that stays in the ground the better......

21 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Canada needs to be in control of our own resources. Selling raw resources is always cheaper in the short term however it's bad for the long term. We need more refineries and  pipelines to both the Atlantic and the Pacific. 

Some here would protect the environment under all cost.

All that pristine nature won’t do much, if you are dependent on another nation or even worse if you lose your sovereignty.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

I am starting to wonder of some of you anti oil folk are sure of what exactly is the use of oil. While I can agree the need to reduce "emissions" we still need oil. Unless you want to keep chatting about this on cave wall drawings. 

I wonder if some of you pro oil folk even care about global warming and dirty tar sands contribution to climate change.