The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Report/Speculation] The Official Erik Karlsson Thread (Keep it all here please)

I wonder if the Canucks or Senators really believe Boqvist is a carbon copy of Karlsson.

Canucks might want a younger version of Karlsson, without the ankle and achilles problems.

Senators might want to replace Karlsson with Boqvist. 

One might throw a wrench into the deal; the other might expedite it.

No on signing Karlsson. This sort of deal would have been something to consider 5 or so years ago, but not now.

He would cost way too much in picks and prospects to acquire. His contract is too rich for the Canucks' cap, now and into the future. He will be too old (30+) by the time the team is ready to compete for the playoffs or even just be considered a contender.

And this assumes that he would even waive to come here, or sign here sign a new deal after his current contract expires next year... at which point his value would be just how much could the Canucks get for him by the 2019 TDL. Maybe he wants to go elsewhere, but he gets a freak injury that would keep him out of the playoffs. The Canucks would have traded assets for nothing.

regards,  G.

7 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

No on signing Karlsson. This sort of deal would have been something to consider 5 or so years ago, but not now.

He would cost way too much in picks and prospects to acquire. His contract is too rich for the Canucks' cap, now and into the future. He will be too old (30+) by the time the team is ready to compete for the playoffs or even just be considered a contender.

And this assumes that he would even waive to come here, or sign here sign a new deal after his current contract expires next year... at which point his value would be just how much could the Canucks get for him by the 2019 TDL. Maybe he wants to go elsewhere, but he gets a freak injury that would keep him out of the playoffs. The Canucks would have traded assets for nothing.

regards,  G.

Don't trade for him until after July 1 and he's agreed to an extension. 

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Don't trade for him until after July 1 and he's agreed to an extension. 

Not even then, nor even after he's become a UFA would I sign him for here.

He's looking for $10 million (or more), and likely long term. Yes, if the Sedins aren't signed then that can happen, but what about the other guys who need to be signed? How far does $4 million go over Horvat, Boeser, etc? And how ready will this team be in two or so  years? Will they be a playoff team let alone a contender? With Karlsson, perhaps.

But he's looking at getting out of a situation where the team he is with is re-building. Why would he accept a trade to the Canucks, or sign here as a UFA?

regards,  G.

8 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Not even then, nor even after he's become a UFA would I sign him for here.

He's looking for $10 million (or more), and likely long term. Yes, if the Sedins aren't signed then that can happen, but what about the other guys who need to be signed? How far does $4 million go over Horvat, Boeser, etc? And how ready will this team be in two or so  years? Will they be a playoff team let alone a contender? With Karlsson, perhaps.

But he's looking at getting out of a situation where the team he is with is re-building. Why would he accept a trade to the Canucks, or sign here as a UFA?

regards,  G.

We have zero cap issues and could easily afford him on a front loaded deal at or around $10m AAV. We have LOADS of cap coming off the next few years (and a rising cap). It's really not a problem. 

Because we're a heck of a lot further along in a rebuild and can afford both the cap and the actual cash to pay him. 

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

We'll offer them Hutton. They can take it or leave it. We have no need for Karlsson right now. 

I mean.... at the right price I’d more than gladly take Karlsson and the contract he’d demand.... and I’d certainly be willing to give up more than Hutton BUT I doubt I’d be willing to give up what Ottawa is going to be asking. 

That being said said if he tells them he’s gonna walk they’ve got to try and get something back.....

On 2018-04-28 at 8:59 PM, J-Dizzle said:

I mean.... at the right price I’d more than gladly take Karlsson and the contract he’d demand.... and I’d certainly be willing to give up more than Hutton BUT I doubt I’d be willing to give up what Ottawa is going to be asking. 

That being said said if he tells them he’s gonna walk they’ve got to try and get something back.....

I don't really think it will be that difficult for Ottawa.

53 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't really think it will be that difficult for Ottawa.

I mostly agree with you on this.  The biggest issues are cap space the expiring contract and the fact that most of the high end teams may not have the commodities or cap space to make it happen.... if the Canucks were wanting to make a move the 7th OA could be a nice peice to work around.... 

EK is 29 next year, is likely 1 of the top 3 defencemen (if not #1) in the world. 

If he becomes a UFA, and he's willing to come to Vancouver, you'd be an idiot not to consider it.  Franchise HOFer defencemen do NOT enter the UFA market often (if at all).  A 6 year deal worth $11M per year is fine by me.  That'll take him to 35 y/o.  Just an FYI, Brent Burns turns 34 next year and is still one of the best dmen in the league... if you believe EK will perform nearly as well as Burns at that age, then he'd be worth it.  The cost of Tanev ($4M+) and one of the Sedins ($7M) in terms of salary cap space is what we would be using up for a franchise defenceman.

The other fact is that EK would solidify and lead the Canucks defence for the next 6 years.  Could you imagine how much pressure is relieved for Juolevi and one of Hughes/Dobson/Bouchard/Boqvist ?  So yes, he's important for the development of one of our very own #1 defencemen.

EK would jump start the offence, boost our PP, relieve the pressure on our D-prospects, play a leadership role on the team, and simply bring a calming influence throughout the entire lineup.  He's worth it.  Simple as that.

Now if we had to trade for him... that's a different matter altogether.  It would hinge on whether or not an extension could be negotiated prior to the trade.

I agree with those that say there is no way we should try and trade for Erik Karlsson. We are just barely starting to fill the prospect cupboards and we would need to give away the best pieces to get him.  Not a chance we should do this. 

The smart move is to try to lure a D like Carlson here with big bucks along with Tavares. All that costs is Aquaman's money. And if they can't get those players we just let the young players develop this year while we are bottom of the league again and get another high pick.  

Just my two cents.

I wholeheartedly agree with those that say try to get him as a UFA.

Oh jeeze everyone. First off, Karlsson is not gonna make it to free agency. Sens will try to sign him or the team who trades for him will sign him to an extension as soon as legally possible. Sens said they would offer him a contract extension. In fact, I believe he likely already "unofficially" has the number and has told the Sens no. If he doesn't, have it, he will before the draft. The Sens would be silly not to trade him at the draft. Best place to get max value.

Canucks would be silly not to trade for him though. Our high pick, Olli Juolevi, and Chris Tanev would get it done. No question.

Fact is, our scouting has an incredible blind spot when it comes to drafting high end defensemen. I do not trust them to draft a top d-man with our pick and a bit skeptical about how good Juolevi is going to be.

5-8 years of Karlsson on our back end. I would not lose any sleep over losing Juolevi or that pick. Or Tanev for that matter! Karlsson's brain hasn't stopped working. Even if he has had the injuries. His hockey sense is top notch. He'll figure out how to keep his career going. He obviously has the intelligence to figure it out and I would bet on that over our scouting staff drafting the right Dman in the top 10 any day of the week.

On 2018-04-30 at 7:27 PM, Noseforthenet said:

Oh jeeze everyone. First off, Karlsson is not gonna make it to free agency. Sens will try to sign him or the team who trades for him will sign him to an extension as soon as legally possible. Sens said they would offer him a contract extension. In fact, I believe he likely already "unofficially" has the number and has told the Sens no. If he doesn't, have it, he will before the draft. The Sens would be silly not to trade him at the draft. Best place to get max value.

Canucks would be silly not to trade for him though. Our high pick, Olli Juolevi, and Chris Tanev would get it done. No question.

Fact is, our scouting has an incredible blind spot when it comes to drafting high end defensemen. I do not trust them to draft a top d-man with our pick and a bit skeptical about how good Juolevi is going to be.

5-8 years of Karlsson on our back end. I would not lose any sleep over losing Juolevi or that pick. Or Tanev for that matter! Karlsson's brain hasn't stopped working. Even if he has had the injuries. His hockey sense is top notch. He'll figure out how to keep his career going. He obviously has the intelligence to figure it out and I would bet on that over our scouting staff drafting the right Dman in the top 10 any day of the week.

So true, never has this franchise had a true #1 D,  Ohlund was close, and Luc Bordon an unknown truth .. Karlsson would be a fantastic grab for us, especially where we are in our build and what the next 5 years look like. Karlsson would be a fantastic mentor for our young D core.. and leadership for the entire team

To be honest, seeing so many people calling for "rebuild" and a hard no for any possibilities of trading for someone like Karlsson. I really hope you guys do see both side of the story here. Going full force rebuild for 5 to 10 years do not automatically get you a championship team. Take the Coiler for example, even the 100 point McJesus couldn't save their season and how many years of #1 draft they got during that so call full rebuild period? Building team from only young prospects is basically partially the ability the GM/Scouts can foresee the growth of that player but also depend on luck. It  depends on luck if the prospect end up like Brock and Bo or Elias but you also need luck that these player can play well with their line mates as  well as the coaching system. Look at Hall, lots people say Hall was a bust when he couldn't lift Edm from hell. However, when he get to Jersey, he is one of the key guy to get that team to playoff this season. There are lots factors to tip the situation from one end to another and that is what the GM should do. The GM should take the right move when the opportunity comes. He needs to try his best to lower the % of luck in this equation of rebuild and surround his future stars with the right crews. There is no way you are going to make it to the top with nothing but bunch of  19 or 20 years old regardless how talented they are. This is because winning championship require a winning culture and that doesn't just happen over night or after losing 80% of the regular season every year like the Oilers did.

On 4/30/2018 at 7:27 PM, Noseforthenet said:

So, we potentially give up three defensemen for one? Screw that! Hate to break it to you, but Karlsson doesn't fix our problems. In fact, we kind of make our problems worse on defense.

No, it isn't a fact that we have a blindspot for drafting defensemen. That's just a stupid opinion on your part. The disrespect people have on Juolevi is f**king pathetic. He is developing just fine.

Archived