The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Josh Leivo has asked for a trade

Just having a quick look at his stats. He scored 10 points in 13 games last year. 21 in 53 overall in the NHL. Not sure what he's like away from the puck but he's been a + player. He'll be 25 years old in May. Sounds like they're version of Reid Boucher, although, he's more of a set up man. He might be worth a waiver claim but I wouldn't give up any assets for him. 

Depends how crazy our deadline gets. If Benning sells off a guy like Baertschi or Granlund then Leivo wouldn’t be a bad guy to have as a trade sweetener in a potential Gudbranson deal to Toronto. As long as it didn’t steal a spot from Goldobin for the remainder of the year. Picking up more waiver eligible guys to play before rolling the dice on Goldy may be the nail in his coffin.

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Depends how crazy our deadline gets. If Benning sells off a guy like Baertschi or Granlund then Leivo wouldn’t be a bad guy to have as a trade sweetener in a potential Gudbranson deal to Toronto. As long as it didn’t steal a spot from Goldobin for the remainder of the year. Picking up more waiver eligible guys to play before rolling the dice on Goldy may be the nail in his coffin.

If goldobin can't beat out leivofor a spot thats his problem. 

9 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Just having a quick look at his stats. He scored 10 points in 13 games last year. 21 in 53 overall in the NHL. Not sure what he's like away from the puck but he's been a + player. He'll be 25 years old in May. Sounds like they're version of Reid Boucher, although, he's more of a set up man. He might be worth a waiver claim but I wouldn't give up any assets for him. 

He's a good defensive forward - Boucher is not really a good comparable imo.

But the Canucks have already acquired Dowd - I dowd they'd spend another asset on Leivo - no real organizational need or opening - and the team is relatively healthy.'  And even waivers - would mean preferring him to players like Virtanen, Dowd, Gaunce in the lineup - I'd be surprised if they claimed him off waivers tbh - which is not to say I don't think Leivo is a good depth forward, but is he good enough to push those guys out of the lineup.

I think Dowd has a few advantages over him, and is versatile enough to use as a center or winger.

It's not that surprising though - get the impression the Leaffs have been one of the least respectful 'asset managing' teams in the NHL under LouLam.

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Hutton for Leivo

Defensive depth is much more important than a 13th forward. Having said that, Hutton is definitely overpaid for what he brings and I wouldn't be opposed to trading him. But we'd be selling rock botton on him, so I think we keep him around for another year to see if he improves at all. 

17 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Arizona bound then? they like the analytical crap dont they?

I don't know.

They bought out Vermette - which was downright bizarro - essentially gifting him to the Ducks....and then did things like sign Luke Schenn.

So who knows what kind of analytics they use, where the balance lies - or if it's as simple as some of the popular ideas about what informs analytics.

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't know.

They bought out Vermette - which was downright bizarro - essentially gifting him to the Ducks....and then did things like sign Luke Schenn.

So who knows what kind of analytics they use, where the balance lies - or if it's as simple as some of the popular ideas about what informs analytics.

Yup buyout a quality 3c who played top 6 for you and liked playing for your team. It was a messed up thing. Team sucks so bad yet top prospect Strome cant even play regular NHL minutes for them still at C, supposedly forcing coyotes to play Domi at C at times this year?

14 minutes ago, billabong said:

Leivo is like the corrado of forwards

thinks he’s an nhl player but he’s just a glorified first line ahl’er

this is so wrong.

I really think Leivo would be a great fit here. 

He's a better player than Goldobin and Boucher and some of the wingers who are at the NHL level for us now.

He has great possession metrics and in a simpler form, everytime the leafs gave him good ice time, he performed like a top six forward. 

He's a good player to acquire for cheap. Not like Pouliot the ECHL defenseman.

31 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I like Leivo hard working player just don’t see an organizational need for him with Dowd and Gaunce here already. 

Leivo is definitely an offensive upgrade on both Dowd and Gaunce. Dowd plays C though, so I don't think we can compare the 2 and Green seems to really like Gaunce, so I don't see Leivo bumping him out of the lineup. The only way I could see a fit is if we traded Granlund or Baertschi and even then, I think we'd be better served playing Goldobin. We need to be 100% sure what we have in him before he bolts to the KHL. 

Archived