The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour - Larry Brooks - Max Domi

Podz92

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

You've given me statements. You've repeated the statement "Virtanen shouldn't be up here" over and over in different statements. I haven't read anything of yours that says "why" other than "he sucks", which is another statement. I have not read anything insightful. I have not read anything with facts. Just your opinion. If you think your opinion is a fact then you clearly don't know what a debate is.

He improved in the AHL too though. The AHL clearly made him work harder in the off season as he came to the camp in better shape than year's past. He improved mentally and came here with a different attitude. He's hit more. He's used his speed more. He's had flashes of good games.

The very fact that he's improving is better than a lot of prospects. Some of the prospects, while improving, are still not ready for the NHL. Should Virtanen be put behind prospects who are clearly not ready? Therefore, it's more about where they are on the spectrum of skill and if they are ready along with improving.

If we based our opinions on whether they are improving a lot or not and ditch the ones who are not, then other players like Juolevi would be long gone as he didn't have the greatest season after being drafted. Yet, he's improved since. If you expect a ton of improvement out of everyone, then you are setting things up for failure as not everyone who will have lucritive careers in the NHL will fall into your category. In fact, I'd argue most players have had times where they've only "slightly improved" throughout their careers. This is what makes your statement ridiculous and shortsighted. It's simply expecting too much of a player who can be potentially lucritive for us in the future.

This isn't about draft position. This is about what will benefit us the most.  If your claim of him not improving in the AHL is true (which really isn't the case), then one can also claim he needs to stay up here to improve.

It feels like Jake's been playing much better as of late. He did have that brutal giveaway in Colorado last night, but he knew it, and Green still threw him out there in overtime. That's saying something! And I hope Jake continues to play well. He's stuck with Dowd, who isn't exactly a point getter. If Jake's playing on the third line, or even second line (once he deserves those spots), I think we see him putting up more points and becoming more offensive. At the fourth line, and with limited minutes, there's really not much offence to produce. He's learning to become a complete player before focusing on the offensive aspect of his game. 

You've given me statements. You've repeated the statement "Virtanen shouldn't be up here" over and over in different statements. I haven't read anything of yours that says "why" other than "he sucks", which is another statement. I have not read anything insightful. I have not read anything with facts. Just your opinion. If you think your opinion is a fact then you clearly don't know what a debate is.

He improved in the AHL too though. The AHL clearly made him work harder in the off season as he came to the camp in better shape than year's past. He improved mentally and came here with a different attitude. He's hit more. He's used his speed more. He's had flashes of good games.

The very fact that he's improving is better than a lot of prospects. Some of the prospects, while improving, are still not ready for the NHL. Should Virtanen be put behind prospects who are clearly not ready? Therefore, it's more about where they are on the spectrum of skill and if they are ready along with improving.

If we based our opinions on whether they are improving a lot or not and ditch the ones who are not, then other players like Juolevi would be long gone as he didn't have the greatest season after being drafted. Yet, he's improved since. If you expect a ton of improvement out of everyone, then you are setting things up for failure as not everyone who will have lucritive careers in the NHL will fall into your category. In fact, I'd argue most players have had times where they've only "slightly improved" throughout their careers. This is what makes your statement ridiculous and shortsighted. It's simply expecting too much of a player who can be potentially lucritive for us in the future.

This isn't about draft position. This is about what will benefit us the most.  If your claim of him not improving in the AHL is true (which really isn't the case), then one can also claim he needs to stay up here to improve.

Couldn't agree more, on top of it all he is here partly due to his outstanding pre-season this year. The kid came out in fantastic shape and flying on the ice like everybody wanted. I believe he earned his spot.

Yea that must be why he was scratched so much and got like 8minutes or less a night because he had improved so much. I have given you plenty of facts that you just simply choose to ignore. Draft position is the sole reason why Virtanen started the year on the roster. 

16 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Yea that must be why he was scratched so much and got like 8minutes or less a night because he had improved so much. I have given you plenty of facts that you just simply choose to ignore. Draft position is the sole reason why Virtanen started the year on the roster. 

Maybe he would have made the team to start the year but no doubt if virtanen was a 5th round pick he would be in the Ahl right now. 

GMs give a bigger chance to their 1st rounders particularly high 1sts. 

20 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Bring facts instead of opinions and then we'll talk. Opinions are not facts as you have completely mistaken them for. In all of your opinions that you have presented I've addressed every last one, even why he had 6 minutes a game last year (which is perhaps the one fact you've presented the whole time).

By the way, he now receives 12 minutes a game, as I have also pointed out already but you seem to have forgotten already. By the way, that's also a fact.

25 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Bring facts instead of opinions and then we'll talk. Opinions are not facts as you have completely mistaken them for. In all of your opinions that you have presented I've addressed every last one, even why he had 6 minutes a game last year (which is perhaps the one fact you've presented the whole time).

By the way, he now receives 12 minutes a game, as I have also pointed out already but you seem to have forgotten already. By the way, that's also a fact.

This pretty much sums up your argument. We're already talking, bud. You ignore the fact that Jake Virtanen has sucked apart from the last couple of weeks. Not one but two NHL coaches have called him out, but you ignore that and call it my opinion. 

Your fact is oh Jake has played well these last few weeks so he deserves to be here see, no. The only reason he was given all those opportunities was because of his draft position. He called out WD and whined to management.. you think if someone who isn't drafted 6th overall does that they're still going to be on the team? They're going to be sent down the next day. 

On February 22, 2018 at 12:56 PM, smokes said:

(Baertschi or Granlund) and Hutton for Domi?

We would have to add a pick. 

What about Baertchi + Granlund + Hutton 

for Max Domi 

Arizona would add three quality players to fast forward their rebuild. Hutton is an upgrade over Kevin Connaughton. Baertchi and Granlund bring a quality pro game that will help their overall team. 

Arizona is a better team with those three guys than with Max Domi. 

Canucks add a gritty player with skill and size who has chemistry with Horvat. Helps fill the void of Daniel Sedin when he leaves. 

After the trade the Canucks would have a different feel to it. 

Domi Horvat Boeser 

Sedin Sedin Vanek 

Eriksson Sutter Gagner 

Virtanen Gaudette Goldobin

Gaunce Dowd Archibald 

Edler Stetcher 

Del Zotto Tanev 

Pouliot Gudbranson 

Holm Biega 

And so would Arizona  

6 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

We would have to add a pick. 

What about Baertchi + Granlund + Hutton 

for Max Domi 

Arizona would add three quality players to fast forward their rebuild. Hutton is an upgrade over Kevin Connaughton. Baertchi and Granlund bring a quality pro game that will help their overall team. 

Arizona is a better team with those three guys than with Max Domi. 

Canucks add a gritty player with skill and size who has chemistry with Horvat. Helps fill the void of Daniel Sedin when he leaves. 

After the trade the Canucks would have a different feel to it. 

Domi Horvat Boeser 

Sedin Sedin Vanek 

Eriksson Sutter Gagner 

Virtanen Gaudette Goldobin

Gaunce Dowd Archibald 

Edler Stetcher 

Del Zotto Tanev 

Pouliot Gudbranson 

Holm Biega 

And so would Arizona  

I could see Arizona doing that. But is Hutton better than Connauton? He has 6 goals this year and the best +/- on the team. Duclair and Panik had similar stats and Panik is 5 years older. I could see them giving up Domi with Baertschi being the big piece pack and maybe Gralund or a 2nd

4 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I could see Arizona doing that. But is Hutton better than Connauton? He has 6 goals this year and the best +/- on the team. Duclair and Panik had similar stats and Panik is 5 years older. I could see them giving up Domi with Baertschi being the big piece pack and maybe Gralund or a 2nd

Another way to look at it is maybe Arizona is preparing for an Ekman-Larson trade for picks and Hutton could be the guy who takes the bottom spot.. 

4 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

It would be funny if Domi was approached before tonight's game, and they said, "You've been traded. You're playing for the other team."

He would be so pissed and rip it up. :lol:

I doubt he would be pissed myself. My guess is he would be happier than heck to be reunited with horvat and off of a poorly managed bottom feeder.

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Not saying he won t. Guy mentioned physical issues . That's one that I know about with Max. 

Domi is kind of a Bobby Clarke player too.  I think the trouble with Max is his having to play centre.  It’s very difficult to be defensively responsible all over the ice, and still put up points - especially for a guy learning the position.  I would like to see Domi become a Marchand pest type player, minus the dirty play. 

Archived