The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Work life blanace

otherwise

Nope.  My work life balance is great.  I even get to work from home, so there's no commute.  I have friends that spend hours a day commuting back and forth.  What a waste.

Not only that, my company only really cares about my results.  Generally, in order to achieve my results I need to put in a solid 35 hours a week.  But if I feel like taking some time off in the afternoon and making up for it in the evening, they have no problem with that.  Granted, I only have this freedom due to being successful at this job for several years.  You don't just walk into a gig like this.

I never really thought about that.  I go to work to make money.  And if they need me other than my work hours, I am there and dedicated, and I am a do do do get things done kind of person, so it does not matter to me if I come in early, leave late, or get something done in the evening.  I do schedule time to go to places like Vancouver, Montreal, and other places, so when thinking about it now, that is a balance. 

19 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

Trying hard to find that balance right now, but it's tough. 

Having a work phone is basically a death sentence to days off. 

yeah I have a work phone, it's the worst. Not only do I have clients calling me, but also my boss. I never feel like I'm ever free from work.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Work my 40 and punch out physically and mentally on Friday at 3pm.

Not the most glorious job but decent pay and great hours.

Same.  Thank goodness for set work hours and no option to take work home.

"I'm not being lazy, i can't bring work back home"

I am home at 4pm daily so cannot complain.  Work on Annacis Island and live in White Rock, as long as the Alex Fraser bridge is ok that's a 20min commute, that's pretty good for the lower mainland.  I don't have much motivation for working OT though, 8hrs is enough for what I do and I am pretty smart with my money. 

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I am home at 4pm daily so cannot complain.  Work on Annacis Island and live in White Rock, as long as the Alex Fraser bridge is ok that's a 20min commute, that's pretty good for the lower mainland.  I don't have much motivation for working OT though, 8hrs is enough for what I do and I am pretty smart with my money. 

This part is key. At some point in my life I realised that there is nothing more true than a penny saved is a penny earned. I still enjoy life to the fullest. I have a nice new house a nice new truck I travel and take whatever time off I want. 

I don't eat out often (I do enjoy cooking quality meals), if I want something I wait 2 weeks before I buy it to make sure I still want it. I don't gamble. I don't waste hydro. 

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

This part is key. At some point in my life I realised that there is nothing more true than a penny saved is a penny earned. I still enjoy life to the fullest. I have a nice new house a nice new truck I travel and take whatever time off I want. 

I don't eat out often (I do enjoy cooking quality meals), if I want something I wait 2 weeks before I buy it to make sure I still want it. I don't gamble. I don't waste hydro. 

Yup I agree with all that.  It sucks because I do more work in 8hrs than my co-workers do in 10 hrs, but at the end of the day I am just gassed. 

On 2/4/2018 at 2:46 PM, Psylocke said:

Yep, calls and emails all the time, so you can't really leave work at work. <_<

On 2/4/2018 at 3:41 PM, riffraff said:

When your boss emails you on your time off.....

IMG_2323.GIF

yeah, I don't understand why emails can't be left for work hours...

It's nice to hear that some people don't have to deal with this and makes me think I should  start looking for a different job. More structured hours, no one contacting me after those hours, sounds lovely.

13 minutes ago, otherwise said:

yeah, I don't understand why emails can't be left for work hours...

It's nice to hear that some people don't have to deal with this and makes me think I should  start looking for a different job. More structured hours, no one contacting me after those hours, sounds lovely.

I haven't had a completely defined set schedule in my entire adult working life.  With that being said maybe my comment is not quite valid but here it is:

it it seems like the once clear line of work time and not work time has been blurred.  Gadgetry has made it easier for co-workers and bosses to communicate. bosses/employers have taken advantage of/ abused this option to encroach on an employees personal time.  Some or

most employees may be apprehensive in speaking out for fear of loss of job, loss of promotion etc.

at the end of the day bosses are paid to max out what they can get from a worker and they will push and push to do so.  An employee either needs to stand up during,  or establish the boundaries during the hiring process.

having said that I would think in some careers "extra" company time may go with the job and prospective employees are aware of what they are getting into.

sadly I doubt there are many jobs out there for the average person to make a living/support a family that start in a Monday and end on a Friday (40 hours).

for me, Ive become used to it.  It's part of my work, (many consecutive long days) and in a way I've made my own decisions to be involved with a hectic work load.  Im my own boss so I have only myself to blame.

but, when I'm not working I certainly make a point t of filling that time with activities i and my family enjoy.

i don't have any complaints.  It's all in the hopes for a better future for me as a my own person and for my kids.

Archived