The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Craig Button Releases list of Top 50 NHL affiliated prospects (5 Canucks)

Adarsh Sant

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog that wins. 

EP has done enough to warrant a nice long look at camp this year.  It’s not just size that wins games. 

I worry about his back and shoulders. 

Time will tell, but his frame won’t take a crosscheck to the back for 82 games.

I am desperate for him to make it and not get hurt. Love this kid. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I worry about his back and shoulders. 

Time will tell, but his frame won’t take a crosscheck to the back for 82 games.

I am desperate for him to make it and not get hurt. Love this kid. 

I doubt Green would run him 82 games.  He does need to get some serious training in. With his build though, I doubt he plays above 195 ever. 

If time is needed, cool, we just have better odds next year at the draft. 

Just now, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I doubt Green would run him 82 games.  He does need to get some serious training in. With his build though, I doubt he plays above 195 ever. 

If time is needed, cool, we just have better odds next year at the draft. 

This kid is special.

It’s a heck of a pick, as long as that translates against Getzlaf and the NHL. 

He has a chance to play with Dahen and likely one of Zadina, Tkachuk or even Boqvist, in Vancouver. I see a first line in there. Or a killer Pp. 

On 2/10/2018 at 4:39 AM, Isam said:

Never know about that man. Bennings best moves were giving brackett control of the board and moving delorme to whl scout. 

Brackett reports to Weisbrod.  He is the one that implemented the changes to the scouting department.  He had done the same in Calgary.

Delorme to WHL scout was under Gillis - Eric Crawford replaced him but Delorme kept his title.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Brackett reports to Weisbrod.  He is the one that implemented the changes to the scouting department.  He had done the same in Calgary.

Delorme to WHL scout was under Gillis - Eric Crawford replaced him but Delorme kept his title.  

Thanks for heads up. Fogot that the delorme move was under gillis.

18 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

As much as I hope he fast becomes the next #99, EP is scrawny. 

This is his body type. Not just lanky, but skinny. 

He will likely get hurt if he tries to play in North America next year. 

To put him at #1 overall is pretty ballsy, given his physical limitations almost guaranteeing he isn’t NHL-ready. It seems rather flattering to use potential over NHL readiness to score EP at #1. 

Assuming EP maxes out and gains 10lbs a year, in two years he is 185ish, which at that height, is still light for the corners or infront of the net. That would be hard to do, trust me as I was the same. 

Then there is OJ way up in the pack while many good D in the AHL didn’t even make the top 50. Demko, as good as he is, is not a unique talent within his peer group, yet he also scores high.

Enjoy the The list for good morale, but I wouldn’t expect that list to be the same if an American publisher put it out. It is my personal expectation that a team who has had a record number of high draft picks in a row to dominate that list. Especially if there have also been prospects traded for our good players to win-now teams, during a rebuild. It would be more newsworthy if the Canucks’ prospects were not Overly represented on that list. 

I suspect a lot of what TSN has done this year has been partly PR work to appease the persecution-complex, noisy Canucks fans. I’ve noticed several PR attempts since last summer. Has anyone else noticed the theme at TSN? Seems like damage control to me for yesteryears’ Canucks under representations.  

If that is the case it looks like they made a massive own goal by not quoting 'word for word' Markstrom after the Canes game...

Lost a lot of respect for TSN....

On 2/10/2018 at 4:54 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Forsberg was ranked 26th in his draft year despite being a top two talent because he weighted 160lbs at the draft. He was an off the board pick.

Forsberg was a monster once he added weight. Zetterberg was 140 or 150 his draft year. 

I think a good model for bringing along EP is how the Leafs managed Nylander’s development. Give him half a year in the AHL before bringing him up. Nylander was 169 at the draft and is 191 now. That said, 6’2 165 lbs is a lot skinnier than 5’11 169 lbs. An inch of height is roughly 6lbs so at 5’11 EP would be 147lbs. At Johnny Gaudreau’s draft height of 5’6 he would be 117lbs.

For point of comparison at 5’6 172lbs, Palmu would weigh 220 lbs at EP’s 6’2 which seems about right - He has a similar build (albeit way shorter but a bit wider) as Gadjovich who is 210 judging by a pic of them sitting beside each other at training camp.

So in summary, EP could probably stand to gain at least 20lbs to be able to handle the rigours of the NHL and about 50lbs to be any sort of physical presence. 20 lbs isn’t a stretch at all -Kessler gained 40lbs in 5 months after his rookie year when he was told he was too skinny - and he was already starting out at 185.

On a side note, I expected the sedins to have clocked in at around 170 but Henrik was listed at 194 - 11lbs heavier than now. Baby fat perhaps?

I think your calculations are off by just a bit. 6'2 is 74" x 6 is 444 lbs. 2-3 pounds per inch is more likely.

15 hours ago, thrago said:

I think your calculations are off by just a bit. 6'2 is 74" x 6 is 444 lbs. 2-3 pounds per inch is more likely.

That is not how it works - a baseline height weight is taken. https://www.livestrong.com/article/353578-ideal-weight-and-height-ratios/

It is typically between 5-8lbs depending on body type. BMI charts go up 5lbs per inch. 

Shaq for example is 7’1” 370lbs. At 2-3 lbs that puts him at  334-346lbs at 6’1. Thick dude but no way.

5-8lbs is 274lbs-310lbs. Based on his body type he would be at the 8lb mark - 274lb for a 6’1” guy of his build looks right.

When he came into the league he was 294lbs and looked lean - that would be 198lbs for a 6’1” which is a lean weight for someone 6’1” if they have muscle.

On 2/11/2018 at 2:21 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

As much as I hope he fast becomes the next #99, EP is scrawny. 

This is his body type. Not just lanky, but skinny. 

He will likely get hurt if he tries to play in North America next year. 

To put him at #1 overall is pretty ballsy, given his physical limitations almost guaranteeing he isn’t NHL-ready. It seems rather flattering to use potential over NHL readiness to score EP at #1. 

Assuming EP maxes out and gains 10lbs a year, in two years he is 185ish, which at that height, is still light for the corners or infront of the net. That would be hard to do, trust me as I was the same. 

Then there is OJ way up in the pack while many good D in the AHL didn’t even make the top 50. Demko, as good as he is, is not a unique talent within his peer group, yet he also scores high.

Enjoy the The list for good morale, but I wouldn’t expect that list to be the same if an American publisher put it out. It is my personal expectation that a team who has had a record number of high draft picks in a row to dominate that list. Especially if there have also been prospects traded for our good players to win-now teams, during a rebuild. It would be more newsworthy if the Canucks’ prospects were not Overly represented on that list. 

I suspect a lot of what TSN has done this year has been partly PR work to appease the persecution-complex, noisy Canucks fans. I’ve noticed several PR attempts since last summer. Has anyone else noticed the theme at TSN? Seems like damage control to me for yesteryears’ Canucks under representations.  

The majority of them haven't played in the NHL yet, how the hell else do you rank them if not by potential?  Do you actually process what you type?

Maxes out and gains 10lbs per year?  You can gain a hell of a lot more than 10lbs in a year.  You can gain 10lbs in 6 months easy.

So was it more newsworthy the past 5 years when little to no Canucks were on it?  And now that the Canucks have one of the best prospect pools in the league it doesn't count?

I suspect you like to "see" whatever suits your narrative as you're so clueless it's unbelievable.

17 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

The majority of them haven't played in the NHL yet, how the hell else do you rank them if not by potential?  Do you actually process what you type?

Maxes out and gains 10lbs per year?  You can gain a hell of a lot more than 10lbs in a year.  You can gain 10lbs in 6 months easy.

So was it more newsworthy the past 5 years when little to no Canucks were on it?  And now that the Canucks have one of the best prospect pools in the league it doesn't count?

I suspect you like to "see" whatever suits your narrative as you're so clueless it's unbelievable.

I guess he missed my comment about Kesler gaining 40 lbs in 5 months. 

Mats Sundin was a monster (6’5 240lbs) and was 187lbs at the draft. 

If Pettersson gains the same he would be 218lbs. 

Not concerned at all, especially given how far sport science has come since the early 90s.

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I guess he missed my comment about Kesler gaining 40 lbs in 5 months. 

Mats Sundin was a monster (6’5 240lbs) and was 187lbs at the draft. 

If Pettersson gains the same he would be 218lbs. 

Not concerned at all, especially given how far sport science has come since the early 90s.

Kesler gained 40lbs in 5 months?

It sure wasn’t between October and March, I’d assume. 

EP is skinny. You don’t just grow muscle like you do a beard when you are an ectomorph. I had the same body type and I don’t think that kid will ever play at 218. We’ll see.

3 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Ever see a depth chart? 

They seem to “suit my narrative” just fine. 

Go eat a Snickers bar. 

12 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Kesler gained 40lbs in 5 months?

It sure wasn’t between October and March, I’d assume. 

EP is skinny. You don’t just grow muscle like you do a beard when you are an ectomorph. I had the same body type and I don’t think that kid will ever play at 218. We’ll see.

He doesn't have to play at 218lbs.  Just because YOU can't put on more than 10lbs per year or YOU are an ectomorph doesn't mean every else's body works like yours.  These guys have the best personal trainers and dietitians available to them.

Also, you can change from ecto to mesomorph.  To use your personal analogies I was skinny as a rail as a teen and am an mesomorph now.  Lifting heavy weights increases bone mass, or simply put bone size.

Archived