The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Craig Button Releases list of Top 50 NHL affiliated prospects (5 Canucks)

Adarsh Sant

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting. I think he's overrating Dahlen, and underrating Demko. Lind could probably be knocking on the door to the top 50 as well.

I'm not so sure about that A.J. Playing on the same team last year and Dahlen had more points than Pettersson........personally, I think some might be underrating Dahlen simply because of the team he plays for.

I know these are not really that big in the grand scheme of thing, but seeing a list like this (with Pettersson at number 1) and Brock winning the MVP at the allstar game are certainly feel good moments.  I'm not "planning the parade route" however I think our future is pretty bright.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I still feel there's room for improvement.  Lind not on the list is questionable, plus we have guys that are in my opinion sleepers.  Brassard, Gadjovich, DiPietro etc.

But if Linden and Aqua man cannot look at this, look at our progress pre injuries at the end of November and decide to not re-sign Benning then they are out to lunch.

IMO we STILL need next year to be a top 10-15 draft and some additional picks between the next two drafts to really start feeling comfortable about having quality prospect depth

Sign the Benning already!!!!

Haven't you heard. It's not Bennings doing, it's all Judd Bracket

Just now, Where's Wellwood said:

A lot of 2017 draftees high on the list. You have to think it's just because they haven't had much of a chance to fall (they're still shiny and new).

It's also guys who haven't made the NHL yet. The further you get from 2017, the more likely the better prospects are already ion the NHL.

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I'm not so sure about that A.J. Playing on the same team last year and Dahlen had more points than Pettersson........personally, I think some might be underrating Dahlen simply because of the team he plays for.

Possibly, but Pettersson is also a year younger. I'm more basing it off this year, where Dahlen has very similar numbers to last year and Pettersson has exploded. I see Dahlen as a great AHL forward, but I'm not sure about his NHL projections, unless he plays a grindy game for a bottom 6 role, but based on his size and 4 PIM in 35 games, I'm gonna guess that's not his style. Pretty hard to tell for now though and I'd love to be wrong. With Horvat, Gaudette, and Pettersson coming up, I'm not sure Dahlen can crack our roster unless both Gaudette and Pettersson play wing.

Fantastic having such a strong prospect group but let's be honest, we desperately need more quality defencemen. Juolevi looks great but after him there's not much, and Juolevi lacks that star quality that guys like Sergachev etc. have. Hutton has been a disappointment so far, Stecher is a serviceable defenceman but not likely to be in our future top-4, Pouliot has potential but again won't be a top-2 defenceman, we need a stud if we want to contend in the playoffs.

Really hope JB picks a star D-man with a likely another top-5 pick because there might be 5 or 6 future top pairing D-men to go in the first 20 of the 2018 draft class.

I think this means Demko should be in next season even if they split the season with the other goalie.Unless our fortunes change in the UFA dman search then Juolevi should get 10 games next season too at least.We'll also have a few forward spots open in the lower lines,give all our decent guys a solid shot..

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Glad we're so well represented, but I can't help but feel that Lind should have made the list, Juolevi should have been lower, and Demko should have been higher.

Also, having Glass above Mittelstadt at this point is absurd.

glass above lind is absurd as well

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Possibly, but Pettersson is also a year younger. I'm more basing it off this year, where Dahlen has very similar numbers to last year and Pettersson has exploded. I see Dahlen as a great AHL forward, but I'm not sure about his NHL projections, unless he plays a grindy game for a bottom 6 role, but based on his size and 4 PIM in 35 games, I'm gonna guess that's not his style. Pretty hard to tell for now though and I'd love to be wrong. With Horvat, Gaudette, and Pettersson coming up, I'm not sure Dahlen can crack our roster unless both Gaudette and Pettersson play wing.

I think Dahlen is the one that will be playing wing as that is where I understand he is playing today. His numbers are similar to last year but I think we need to factor in that his season was delayed due to his bout with mono and the fact he is putting up similar numbers without Pettersson this year. Guess time will tell and Ithought you might be interested in the following from dobberprospects.

January 2018 - Dahlen continues to be the best player in Sweden's second tier - the Allsvenskan. The fiesty and dynamic forward has driven play on a line with 2018 NHL draft eligible players, Filip Hälinder and Jacob Olofsson and leads the league in points-per-game with 1.22. He has recently stated he would play three more contests with Timrä before exploring his out clause to sign with an SHL club or return to North American and join the Utica Comets. Many teams have reported interest in the 2016 second round pick, with Brynas and Farjestad BK appearing to be the front runners. Dahlen should come to the AHL next season and will likely be closer to NHL-ready then many believe. Cam Robinson

Crazy to see Vesalanien, not in the top 50. He should be in the top 10 IMO. Filip Chytil should be in the Top 10 as well.

As for our prospects, Demko too low, he should be up there with those Russian goalies as he's one of the better players in the AHL as a goalie. Juolevi probably too high, and you could make a case for Lind to sneak in there somewhere.

Love seeing Gaudette getting this much love from Button, won't be surprised if Jack Rathbone is on one of these lists down the line.

Very fortunate to have Judd Brackett and Lars Lindgren handling the scouting department. Hoping for big things from the 2018 draft.

41 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Dahlen was 3rd line winger prospect in Ottawa for a reason.  He is good.  Good enough to make the NHL.  That's pretty good.  But not delusional 1st line superstar destiny just because he has played with Pettersson before.

Sidenote, I would like the Canucks and the city of Vancouver to make a 100 year contingency plan for a Stanley Cup Parade and make it public.  Then people could stop saying "plan the parade route" everytime they want to be witty about somebody overvaluing a trade or prospect.  :P

21 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

No Ty Ronning he is going to break the all time WHL record for goals not even a look to funny

What record is he going to beat? Ferraro's single season record of 108 goals? Ferraro's 149 goals in his two seasons in the WHL?

Just for reference, Ronning has 47 goals this season and 104 goals in his WHL career.

Archived