The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Craig Button Releases list of Top 50 NHL affiliated prospects (5 Canucks)

Adarsh Sant

4 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

No Ty Ronning he is going to break the all time WHL record for goals not even a look to funny

MOST GOALS:

108    – Ray Ferraro, Brandon Wheat Kings, 1983-84 (72 games).
96     – Bill Derlago, Brandon Wheat Kings, 1976-77 (72 games).
94     – Brian Propp, Brandon Wheat Kings, 1978-79 (71 games).
93     – Jim McGeough, Billings Bighorns, 1981-82 (71 games).
90     – Ron Chipperfield, Brandon Wheat Kings, 1973-74 (66 games).
89     – Kyle Reeves, Tri-City Americans, 1990-91 (63 games).
       – Bill Derlago, Brandon Wheat Kings, 1977-78 (52 games).
       – Doug Wickenheiser, Regina Pats, 1979-80 (71 games).
       – Cliff Ronning, New Westminster Bruins, 1984-85 (71 games).

I am a big Ronning and Giants fan but he's not even on pace to get a goal per game and he's second currently in the WHL also.

8 hours ago, appleboy said:

I want more , lots more.

well, we will get more in this draft hopefully with Dahlin being the first pick. Hope we offload Vanek, Gudbranson, nielsson and Tanev to get more picks and prospects. If they can get Dahlin and another high end center prospect out of this draft, they could very well be done with the rebuild.

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, Benning has done a great job and I hope he gets re-signed, but nothing will fill a prospects cupboard faster than finishing in the bottom year after year. Just saying...

The Foilers finish at the bottom year after year and collected 4 1st picks yet look how bare their prospect cupboard is. I would say it has more to do with scouting then just picking top 5 every year and bombing every other pick after that.

14 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

I guess I'm one of the few who think Button actually knows what he's talking about.

He had Jake at #26 (or thereabouts) on his mid-year ratings while everyone else had Jake in top 10, but moved him up for his final rating. I think Canuck Nation got to him. In hindsight, seems like he had Jake pegged properly to begin with.

Really it's a crap shoot. Button had Horvat 19th the year before. Also in 2013 he had goalie Zachary Fucale ranked 7th overall. The only one with Fucale in the top 10. He was actually drafted 36th overall and has yet to play an NHL game and is bouncing between AHL and ECHL 4 1/2 years later. One would think he'd at least be established in the AHL by now. My point is nobody, including Button, gets them all right.

12 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Ehh, I don't really think so. While I love Lind, Glass is half a year younger than Lind and plays center as opposed to wing.

linds having as good a yr as glass if not better  yes hes a winger and glass is a center you need both  glass is top ten pick got cut by team canada  lind was 33rd pick  cut as well     i say glass  cut looks worse than lind whos torn up whl since  20 game point streak not to shabby

i love how  people on here are so impatient with prospects on here not everyone coming in to league  dominates right away or makes nhl at 18 most do at 21-23 5 yrs after draft soo if virtanen and juolevi arent doing well in 2021-2023 be worried but i think their talent will make them be decent nhlers  stop be so impatient people

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Really it's a crap shoot. Button had Horvat 19th the year before. Also in 2013 he had goalie Zachary Fucale ranked 7th overall. The only one with Fucale in the top 10. He was actually drafted 36th overall and has yet to play an NHL game and is bouncing between AHL and ECHL 4 1/2 years later. One would think he'd at least be established in the AHL by now. My point is nobody, including Button, gets them all right.

Which makes a lot of the arguments here on CDC invalid...

You need luck. Most coaches and scouts can spot the talents, but how far they will evolve, is a guess at best.

What they can do is draw parallels to previous talents, and see how they evolved, and then you play the percentage game.

17 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Which makes a lot of the arguments here on CDC invalid...

You need luck. Most coaches and scouts can spot the talents, but how far they will evolve, is a guess at best.

What they can do is draw parallels to previous talents, and see how they evolved, and then you play the percentage game.

There was an interview with an NHL scout a few years back and he said there's definitely luck involved in drafting. You look for skills, traits, attitude, and consistency. He said some scouts are certainly better at it than others but nobody knows with absolute certainty whose skill set will translate to the NHL. My favorite comment was along the lines of: if we actually knew with any certainty there's a lot of guys getting drafted in the 2nd, 3rd and later rounds that would get picked a lot higher. lol

I'm surprised how many surprised replies there are.  We've been beating the drum that we have a great pool since last year's draft ( before it was average) up and down the threads (we as the sign Benning crew).  Other lists say similar things, his isn't too crazy...NHL.com and THN have Pettersson as the early favorite for next year's Calder so makes sense to see him at #1.   

Lindshould probably be on the list too, but that's ok,  otherwise looks fine..some are probably a bit high, others a bit low, some still won't make it while others not on the list will.

Sign Benning.  Two more years of last year's drafting is what we need.

13 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Nylander was 2nd and 4th on both Button's and Pronman's rankings last year.  He's incredibly talented but can be a bit lazy away from the puck.  His poor/average WJC probably dropped him down the list as Button weighs big tournaments more heavily in his rankings.  To say he shouldn't be on the list though is unfair, the kid is talented. 

You can say the same thing about ANY professionals list.  It's easy to criticise in hindsight and there are always going to be 1 or 2 mistakes.  Button had Virtanen lower than everyone else, Boeser higher than everyone else and has had way more hits than misses.

Perhaps. Just going from what I have seen. And that's limited for sure. What I've seen hasn't impressed me at all with Nylander.

Archived