The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Craig Button Releases list of Top 50 NHL affiliated prospects (5 Canucks)

Adarsh Sant

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I'm surprised how many surprised replies there are.  We've been beating the drum that we have a great pool since last year's draft ( before it was average) up and down the threads (we as the sign Benning crew).  Other lists say similar things, his isn't too crazy...NHL.com and THN have Pettersson as the early favorite for next year's Calder so makes sense to see him at #1.   

Lindshould probably be on the list too, but that's ok,  otherwise looks fine..some are probably a bit high, others a bit low, some still won't make it while others not on the list will.

Sign Benning.  Two more years of last year's drafting is what we need.

Remember when our top prospects were Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Corado? And people were actually excited about them....lol

21 hours ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

Re: Craig Button

You guys make some good points about Virtanen, Boeser and Gaudette.  Perhaps my criticism of Button is based on outdated experience and (admittedly) inaccurate groupthink

Button isn’t infallible and I do question his methods.  We all feel better having Pettersson at number 1, but as some ask, Glass is ranked so high, but no Lind.  OJ is ranked pretty well, Heiskanen is a little high.  But Brannastrom (sp?) from HV71 and Makar seem high too

me. With Makar, Button has committed so much to him, that he has to rank him higher than maybe he should. 

Glad to see Demko and Gaudette listed.  Not bad that we are upset with not having two 2nd rounders on the list along with our 5th rounder. 

Does anyone doubt JB’s drafting now?  Pettersson is already the steal of his draft year at 5.  

Cnat remeber where Boeser was ranked last year, but if it wasn’t number 1 then Button sometimes gets things wrong. 

As for the JV stuff. Button ranked him once outside the top of the draft.  JV was picked where he was ranked. Can we let that go now. I wanted Ehlers, some wanted Nylander (who would have been crushed on our team, because he plays a perimiter game). 

JB saw something in JV that has yet to materialize, it doesn’t yet

mean he will get there.  JB has been right about Trymakin, Forsling, Demko, Boeser, Gaudette, OJ (25 ranked prospect on this list. Looks like Button believes that OJ will make a good player) and Lind. 

I cant wait for people to slag Gadjovich for regressing without factoring in his injuries. 

EmW

20 hours ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Was stoked to meet Butts when we were in Canmore a couple weeks ago with friends on vacation. He was kind enough to talk to my buddy wearing his Stars toque (we live in Dallas/Fort Worth) and me rocking my Nucks toque.  We chatted about scouting and how impressed he is with our cupboard of prospects. He raved about BB and said that EP has the potential to be a more-rounded Zetterberg type player who can play a two-way game while still putting up points. He also said Gaudette is going to be an outstanding 3rd line C who should put up 20/20 if he plays his game and stays healthy. My buddy even left the convo saying he is jealous of our prospect pool and he is a Stars fan. His wife was very sweet and patient as she could tell we were excited lol. 

27721392_10213720160776265_241180035_n.jpg

He looks like a Who from Whoville lol. I can't not think that every time I see him.  I like CB tho good guy.  Sounds like a fun time. His wife seems super chill :D

On 2/6/2018 at 11:48 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Cody Glass #4, yet Kole Lind who's outscoring him with lesser linemates doesn't even make the list...

"Why didn't Button list Kole Lind..."

Kole seems to get the fumes when it comes to recognition...WJC snub and now this...guy has only gotten better and produced...Canucks have a good one here, that's all that matters.

23 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I'm not so sure about that A.J. Playing on the same team last year and Dahlen had more points than Pettersson........personally, I think some might be underrating Dahlen simply because of the team he plays for.

They compare him to Filip Forsberg because he is out producing Forsberg when he played in the same league at the same age.

16 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

The Foilers finish at the bottom year after year and collected 4 1st picks yet look how bare their prospect cupboard is. I would say it has more to do with scouting then just picking top 5 every year and bombing every other pick after that.

that's what happens when they rush their prospects and don't develop for the first three years after the draft.

31 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

List like this are pointless. It doesn’t represent scouting or a teams future promise. 

Or it does represent a clubs scouting ability, and the teams future promise.  Isn't that part of it? We've got a reasonable chance to have two Calder candidates in a row, a very rare occurrence, and neither of these guys were backed up by first overall franchise hooblah, which is low hanging fruit.   Experts love their lists, International Scouting Services, THN, Bob McKenzie....all of them do it and I think the fans that care about stuff like that are grateful.

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

List like this are pointless. It doesn’t represent scouting or a teams future promise. 

Though understanding your point, I find it hard to understand the negativity... 

And while its true, lists like these don't land cups in the cupboards, at least they represent a reason for us to be excited about the future.

Will the prospects be as good, as we're hoping for? Time will tell, but the confirmation by 'prospects experts' that our prospects are class ,should surely make us happy.

57 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Or it does represent a clubs scouting ability, and the teams future promise.  Isn't that part of it? We've got a reasonable chance to have two Calder candidates in a row, a very rare occurrence, and neither of these guys were backed up by first overall franchise hooblah, which is low hanging fruit.   Experts love their lists, International Scouting Services, THN, Bob McKenzie....all of them do it and I think the fans that care about stuff like that are grateful.

No. This list does nothing at showing teams scouting because it ignores all the players currently in the nhl. Players that are the same age an younger. 

Next year when canucks only have one player on this list (because demko, pettersson, gaudette and Juolevi) could all be in the nhl does that mean our scouting sucks. 

This list needs to be taken with a grain of salt. If you really wanted to compare scouting records then you have to compare apples to apples and rank all players in the same age range. Regardless of them being in the nhl or not 

Despite being younger then a lot of players on this list Brock doesn’t make this list because he’s in the nhl. But Brock is our most important piece towards future promise. Same thing with Matthews in TO, or Barzal in NYI. That’s why you can use this list as a sign for good/bad scouting.  Does Donato being 22 and not in the nhl make him more promising that horvat who’s 22 and ripping up the nhl.  

16 minutes ago, Lastresort318 said:

This is showing that Benning has been picking prospects that are looking good. People thought picking Petterson was a mistake and look at him now. Canucks future is looking super good. Need a few defense men and we should be cup contenders very soon.

It's very likely Judd Brackett along with our Swedish scouts had to do a lot of swaying in order to actually pick Pettersson and not screw up the 2017 pick like Benning did in 2014 with picking Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers.

Remember the scouting philosophy has changed with them incorporating analytics into their approach and Brackett had most of the authority running the 2017 draft. Linden was raving about his work after the draft.

5 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

It's very likely Judd Brackett along with our Swedish scouts had to do a lot of swaying in order to actually pick Pettersson and not screw up the 2017 pick like Benning did in 2014 with picking Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers.

Remember the scouting philosophy has changed with them incorporating analytics into their approach and Brackett had most of the authority running the 2017 draft. Linden was raving about his work after the draft.

The Jake Virtanen pick was also based of a lot of pressure to pick the hometown kid who also had grit and size which we had sorely needed. Also, let's not act like Virtanen was not projected to be a top 10 pick that draft.

1 minute ago, Lastresort318 said:

The Jake Virtanen pick was also based of a lot of pressure to pick the hometown kid who also had grit and size which we had sorely needed. Also, let's not act like Virtanen was not projected to be a top 10 pick that draft.

I can look I up, he wasn't top 10 on all lists.

Still drafting a kid with shoulder surgery was chancy at best anyway.

2 minutes ago, Lastresort318 said:

Regardless it was a bad pick with the elite skill Benning passed up on.

I feel comfortable now with Brackett running the show. And hopefully, Linden stays with the organization as I think he realizes the positive impact Brackett has had on the franchise and convinces the new GM to let him stay as director of amateur scouting.

Watch out for this Rathbone kid, drafted in the 4th this past draft, as I believe he could be the defenceman version of Gaudette.

Archived