The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours] Vanek

aGENT

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

I wonder if admitting that he would re-sign in Vancouver again would diminish his trade value as it would almost guarantee he would only be around as a rental.

for  a top end contender i don't think so, especially if Van eats 50% cap for the remaining year. 

3 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I wonder if admitting that he would re-sign in Vancouver again would diminish his trade value as it would almost guarantee he would only be around as a rental.

I think most teams he'd be going to would prefer and expect a rental.

1 minute ago, CanuckinEdm said:

for  a top end contender i don't think so, especially if Van eats 50% cap for the remaining year. 

Can they even do that?  They are retaining on Luongo and Hansen right now.  I thought the limit was two?

ZACKALLY what should happen, as has been said.  Cash in your chips, then re-sign if need be later.  Mid-round pick is fine, it gives opportunity for Goldy or another yute to come in and gain experience.   Same goes for moving a dman like Hutton, so we can bring up a Holm, Sautner, etc. -- roster spots are one of the main things we need to consider right now.

Just now, goalie13 said:

But it closes the door on the possibility of an extension.  I always figured it's better to keep the cards close to the chest in these cases.

His agent isn't closing anything. They said they be open to anything including possibly be moved and re-signing. The other team (or all 29 other teams) would all have the ability to try to woo him July 1.

6 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

But it closes the door on the possibility of an extension.  I always figured it's better to keep the cards close to the chest in these cases.

The Rangers are doing the same with Nash.  They see the TDL as an opportunity to get assets for him but they are apparently interested in bringing him back.

Archived