The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours] Vanek

aGENT

56 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Might be in the minority, but if we don't get at least A 2nd or A decent package I would just keep him and resign him. I say that only because I doubt A high pick will not decide the outcome of our rebuild. Gaudette is like finding A needle in A Haystack. I think  Vaneck has played well comes cheap and this would go a long way in deciding if he comes back. I think A package of him and maybe Tanev or Hutton is more feasible then him by himself. Unless we get A Grabner type offer. Cheers.

He's only coming back if we re-sign the twins. If we re-sign the twins, we don't have room for Vanek. Also sounds like he wants term and an NTC. All that adds up to us not likely re-signing Vanek FWIW. 

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's only coming back if we re-sign the twins. If we re-sign the twins, we don't have room for Vanek. Also sounds like he wants term and an NTC. All that adds up to us not likely re-signing Vanek FWIW. 

I know about the twins angle. I think its highly likely they come back next year. Unless JB is confident that all the young kids will step right in and play like Brock. I doubt that he is willing to bank on that. The twins are still contributing as second line players, as is Vaneck. The young kids I think to make it. Just don't see JB leaving them to be the sole contributors right away. As for Vanecks demands. I have heard zero about that. Given he keeps signing one-year deals with clubs, I think you might be wrong on that. Just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I know about the twins angle. I think its highly likely they come back next year. Unless JB is confident that all the young kids will step right in and play like Brock. I doubt that he is willing to bank on that. The twins are still contributing as second line players, as is Vaneck. The young kids I think to make it. Just don't see JB leaving them to be the sole contributors right away. As for Vanecks demands. I have heard zero about that. Given he keeps signing one-year deals with clubs, I think you might be wrong on that. Just my opinion.

Even if he's open to a 1 year and no NTC, we don't have the roster room if we re-sign the twins. It's just not meant to be. I'd welcome him back if they retire but he doesn't sound like he has much interest in returning without them.

12 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Even if we got 24 yr old Welinski a rhd for Vanek that might be worth it if offered to us. Putting up good points in the A

He would be better than nothing. Don't know a lot about him. Maybe buries behind a deep D corps? Slow? Good numbers though. Him and a fourth. To recoup our fourth for the year. Done.

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

He would be better than nothing. Don't know a lot about him. Maybe buries behind a deep D corps? Slow? Good numbers though. Him and a fourth. To recoup our fourth for the year. Done.

Was passed by Montour, Anaheim has drafted a lot of good young D over the years. This is his 2nd full year out of College, so hard to say why he hasn't cracked the NHL. Sounds like Carlyle likes Bieksa where as Duck fans would rather see Welinski or another D over Bieksa.

If we were offered Welinski and a pick we have to take it

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Even if he's open to a 1 year and no NTC, we don't have the roster room if we re-sign the twins. It's just not meant to be. I'd welcome him back if they retire but he doesn't sound like he has much interest in returning without them.

I think he said along the lines of he would love to come back if the twins come back because the team will not be competitive without them. As for roster space. I would rather see guys like dowd gags Gaunce gone before those 3, as long as they all do not have any type of NTC. I think Gaudette, Petterson Dhalen, have A better shot of filling those 3 spots. freeing up room to keep Vaneck and the twins. It's A real pickle. We might end up with one of the top 3 forwards in the draft, who I assume would all be NHL ready for next year. as may Lind.And JB might even acquire or sign Kane at some point. Thing is JB won't know what rooks will make it until they actually play next year, so if he lets the twins and Vaneck go and the rooks need time in Utica, our depth will be shot. We will see the like of Chaput's and Megnas again, and nobody wants that. 

Check out this Germany vs Russia game folks!  Germany takes the lead with 3 minutes left in the 3rd.  Russia ties it on the pk with a minute left. Germany nearly scores on a drive to the net with 10 seconds left.  Heading to OT baby!

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Check out this Germany vs Russia game folks!  Germany takes the lead with 3 minutes left in the 3rd.  Russia ties it on the pk with a minute left. Germany nearly scores on a drive to the net with 10 seconds left.  Heading to OT baby!

Been watching. Pretty cool. Gonna be tough for Germany to overcome that disappointment. 

Either one of the gms is trying to use media as a negotiating tactic or that benning is being lowballed. If this is the case that team can kiss their playoff run good bye.  I am expecting a trade similar to grabner trade the very least, if not I will be happy if jb kept Vanek.  

Vankek been an offensive force for us despite 13 minutes of ice time , expierence playing against top lines, an offensive weapon for any team wishing for a playoff push.   Rick Nash my ass, that is one guy that vanishes in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Yotes said:

I like what 1 poster mentioned about Anaheim and Maxime Comtois. I wonder how they value him? Who has more value Comtois or Max Jones? Could we get a prospect like that back from Vanek vs a pick? Probably not eh!?

I’d be willing to sweeten the pot to land one of those two guys. Maybe throwing in a mid to late round draft and pick and/or a B prospect

3 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

So with Nash getting far more than he's worth for the Rangers I wonder if Jim's price for Vanek just went up? ;) 

Im sure Benning wants quite a bit, but teams have cheaper options for later picks if JB wants too much. Take the first reasonable offer and be done with it. He was a 1 yr rental a mid round pick or prospect is a return, better than him walking for nothing.

Look how good that NYR GM is at getting value though....damn!

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Either one of the gms is trying to use media as a negotiating tactic or that benning is being lowballed. If this is the case that team can kiss their playoff run good bye.  I am expecting a trade similar to grabner trade the very least, if not I will be happy if jb kept Vanek.  

Vankek been an offensive force for us despite 13 minutes of ice time , expierence playing against top lines, an offensive weapon for any team wishing for a playoff push.   Rick Nash my ass, that is one guy that vanishes in the playoffs.

Nash's career playoff ppg is .532, Vanek's is .539

9 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Nash's career playoff ppg is .532, Vanek's is .539

Yup, he is going to get points as the wingman on one of their top 2 lines but he wont be the man doing all the work.

Think it was a bad trade for Boston, but it is Boston so I am kind of happy they overpaid

Archived