The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours] Vanek

aGENT

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Even if he's open to a 1 year and no NTC, we don't have the roster room if we re-sign the twins. It's just not meant to be. I'd welcome him back if they retire but he doesn't sound like he has much interest in returning without them.

i get your message and position

but what team has no room for 3 or it's top 4 point producers?

who will replace all that scoring ?

and if they youth is ready they should be overtaking these veterans

they just are not ready

at least bbb took over the top line duties this year

we have no one ready to take over 2nd line duties

maybe that will happen during the course of the next season

but gutting the team prematurely is a bit unwise in my view

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i get your message and position

but what team has no room for 3 or it's top 4 point producers?

who will replace all that scoring ?

and if they youth is ready they should be overtaking these veterans

they just are not ready

at least bbb took over the top line duties this year

we have no one ready to take over 2nd line duties

maybe that will happen during the course of the next season

but gutting the team prematurely is a bit unwise in my view

Benning's already stated he plans to have kids make the roster and that they plan to sign UFA's. Goldobin requires waivers. Gaudette will almost certainly be on the roster. Pettersson, Dahlen etc will be pushing for spots.

If the twins come back on top of all of that, there's no damn room. If they don't come back, we'd likely have room for a solid vet like Vanek but then he has no interest in returning without the twins, so..... Then there's the issue with him sounding like he wants term + NTC. Everybody here can do basic math, right? The chances Vanek is back next year are slim to none.

24 minutes ago, rekker said:

Bunch of stupid melon heads if they don't sit Vanek. If nothing else it may cause a stir or drive up his price letting teams think their are possible deals imminent. Everyone else sits their players. Why not us.

“Asset management” I swear that’s a term that our management doesn’t comprehend. 

Honestly though there always seems to be a disconnect between our coaches and our GM. It’s so insanely frustrating. 

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Benning's already stated he plans to have kids make the roster and that they plan to sign UFA's. Goldobin requires waivers. Gaudette will almost certainly be on the roster. Pettersson, Dahlen etc will be pushing for spots.

If the twins come back on top of all of that, there's no damn room. If they don't come back, we'd likely have room for a solid vet like Vanek but then he has no interest in returning without the twins, so..... Then there's the issue with him sounding like he wants term + NTC. Everybody here can do basic math, right? The chances Vanek is back next year are slim to none.

gaudette has never piayed in the nhl and you are certain he'll have a spot on the team next season ?

brock having an impact like he had the first 40 or so games of these season is kind of rare

except for the elite high talent early 1st round draft picks

i really do not think any of our young prospects will step in and take a 1st line position like brock

and unless they are able to show that level of readiness

will likely not be added to the canuck roster so easily

do you forget that the plan for brock was to send him to utica

and he did not play the first 2 games of this season

few will make the transition to the nhl as seamlessly as you hope

and that will not happen in the numbers you project

so who will fill out the nhl roster next season ?

any quality nhl free agents will not be signing 1 year contracts

and will end up glogging the youth pipeline a lot more then the sedins and vanek

on 1 year contracts would

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

hmmm vanek  41 points @2mil nash at 28 points  over 7 mil . hmm who would be better .  vanek  at only 3rd or 4th, i say keep him 

He will be a UFA and said he will only come back if the Sedins return and he gets a NMC.  There are only 20 games left in the season and it's an opportunity for him to compete for the Cup.

A draft pick can also be used to leapfrog teams at the draft to get the player they want.

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

Nash can score (less than Vanek) and is serviceable defensively. Rick Nash is not that great, he’s a solid player but he really isn’t THAT much better than Vanek with that contract. People still ride the hypetrain for him because he was a first overall pick and has had a decent career.

He is THAT much better than Vanek because if he isn't scoring he is still playing great defensively.

17 minutes ago, mll said:

He will be a UFA and said he will only come back if the Sedins return and he gets a NMC.  There are only 20 games left in the season and it's an opportunity for him to compete for the Cup.

A draft pick can also be used to leapfrog teams at the draft to get the player they want.

Still gotta play out the rest of the season.  If they don't get a 2nd for him, I'm happy with watching him in blue and green the rest of the year

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Still gotta play out the rest of the season.  If they don't get a 2nd for him, I'm happy with watching him in blue and green the rest of the year

Nashville used a 3rd to go from 46 to 38 and grab Roman Josi - they knew a team a few spots ahead of them were interested in him.

Just now, mll said:

Nashville used a 3rd to go from 46 to 38 and grab Roman Josi - they knew a team a few spots ahead of them were interested in him.

I don't disagree with that necessarily.  That's still a major long shot, and I like Vanek in Van.  That said JB is great at the draft.

Archived