The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours] Vanek

aGENT

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He could 'stay' here on 1 year deals. Might have to go away for a few months on a playoff run but he'd still be 'here' 3/4 of the year.

yeah right

that provides no security

i'm sure you aware of the indy mess hiring their "new coach"

if it is not written and signed it is not worth much

:P

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I wonder if admitting that he would re-sign in Vancouver again would diminish his trade value as it would almost guarantee he would only be around as a rental.

absolutely, imo.  That said, almost every FA traded at the deadline is a pure rental, so it might nor diminsh the value as much as we might think.  vanek's value won't be that high any way.  

4 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I wonder if admitting that he would re-sign in Vancouver again would diminish his trade value as it would almost guarantee he would only be around as a rental.

Pretty sure this is just his agent keeping options open. Vanek's never been the most sentimental player. He'll go to whichever team offers him the most $$$ next season. 

3 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Why would we need to retain salary? His contract is cheap.

Why would we not retain salary its only for the rest of the season. We have the room it expands the amount of teams that can pick him up at only 1 mil or 300k (ish) trade deadline cap space. It makes him even more valuable  essentially your getting a 50 point guy for entry level money for the remainder of the season. 

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Benning wants his guy Khokhlachev it’s gonna be Hutton for a 2nd and Khokhlachevs rights. I remember hearing Benning loves that guy!

Didn't that kid go back to Russia? I'd want more than just his NHL rights in exchange for Hutton and/or a pick.

Granted, the kid's contract with his Russian team is up this year (IIRC).

regards,  G.

2 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Why would we not retain salary its only for the rest of the season. We have the room it expands the amount of teams that can pick him up at only 1 mil or 300k (ish) trade deadline cap space. It makes him even more valuable  essentially your getting a 50 point guy for entry level money for the remainder of the season. 

Because it is a lot more likely that we would have to retain salary on another move for a player with a higher salary and we only have one contract left we can do it.

If a team can’t affotd a pro-rated Vanek contract, they have bigger problems an we would be more likely not retaining salary but taking back dead salary back from them.

17 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Didn't that kid go back to Russia? I'd want more than just his NHL rights in exchange for Hutton and/or a pick.

Granted, the kid's contract with his Russian team is up this year (IIRC).

regards,  G.

2nd rounder plus his rights is not a bad deal. He leads his team in points and is almost a ppg in the KHL. It’s not the best offer just one I think Benning could pursue if they know he wants to come back. Benning does like older prospects about to break out and he was a big part of drafting Khokhlachev. 

5 hours ago, guntrix said:

Pretty sure this is just his agent keeping options open. Vanek's never been the most sentimental player. He'll go to whichever team offers him the most $$$ next season. 

#fakenews

Actually he's the exact opposite of what you say. 

Vanek could have got a 7 years $50 million from NYI but wanted to go to MIN and left $30 million on the table when he signed $19.5 mill 3 years with the Wild.  

https://www.barstoolsports.com/dont-use/thomas-vanek-left-30-million-on-the-table-to-sign-with-minnesota/

CBS – In a move that surprised absolutely no one in hockey, Thomas Vanek signed a three-year deal with the Minnesota Wild on Tuesday. The contract has a value of $19.5 million, or an annual average salary of $6.5 million for the Wild. That’s a bit of a hometown discount for Minnesota, where he played college hockey and met his wife, at least when talking about the term. Vanek was traded twice last season, first from Buffalo to the Islanders. The Isleswanted to keep him but Vanek rejected their reported seven-year deal for $50 million so the Islanders traded him to Montreal, where he finished out the season. In the end to sign with the Minnesota he had to take a lower term and a bit of a lower price as well. Wild GM Chuck Fletcher was open about not wanting to sign any long-term deals and keep the flexibility for the roster down the line.

Everyone on the planet knew that Thomas Vanek wanted to go back home to Minnesota, so this move doesn’t surprise me. And the annual salary is $6.5 million vs what would have been $7.15 mil from the Islanders. But holy &^@#ing $&!# is it crazy to leave 30 million total on the table. Somehow its the smartest, dumbest, and most honorable free agent move all at the same time.

sounds like he enjoys the city. 

think about it

he played for Buffalo

then Detroit

then Minnesota, doesn't get any crappier then that.

get her done benning.  But wait to see what Nash is going for though, seems like the price for him is sky high, but Vanek is out doing him from 0to 10 this year, we can something good in return for Vanek if garbage Nash can get a high price.

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

then Minnesota, doesn't get any crappier then that.

I've never been so I can't judge, but I've heard that aside from being colder than a witch's teat Minnesota is really nice. There has to be a reason Vanek still goes back to live there.

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I've never been so I can't judge, but I've heard that aside from being colder than a witch's teat Minnesota is really nice. There has to be a reason Vanek still goes back to live there.

Brock is from Minnesota, so it has that going for it 

Archived