The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumours] Vanek

aGENT

17 hours ago, rekker said:

Lol. Yup. Sounded doeable till the Eriksson bit. 

Is it really? Outside of Salary, there's 2 points difference, and Erikisson has 8 goals to Domi's 3. And as disappointing as Eriksson has been he's at -2 vs. Domi's -21. 

Arizona is the same club that traded Duclair to Chicago as well. Domi is nearing the end of his entry level contract. Maybe it's a matter of putting together and advanced stats pack. ;)

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is it really? Outside of Salary, there's 2 points difference, and Erikisson has 8 goals to Domi's 3. And as disappointing as Eriksson has been he's at -2 vs. Domi's -21. 

Arizona is the same club that traded Duclair to Chicago as well. Domi is nearing the end of his entry level contract. Maybe it's a matter of putting together and advanced stats pack. ;)

A cash poor team like ARZ is not going to take on Eriksson's contract until the last 2 years. If they move a player like Domi because he's underperforming and due a raise, it's for another player on an ELC, picks etc. Not a guy getting paid $7m cash next season.

3 hours ago, amitriptyline said:

Package Hutton with Virtanen.

Do not trade Virtanen only 21.... Come on he is 21 yrs old  speed, size, shot and we have seen how he can use his speed and get to the net.. Have to be super patient and work with this very good prospect...

6 hours ago, rekker said:

No to trading Jake. I see no point to it. Maybe you get a second. I'd rather work with him and see what we can make of him. 

Yeah, I'm not sure that given the risk we would get much back for him. We've seen some improvements with him, and I still feel he will be an ideal 3rd liner for us.

If we do re-sign the Sedins, I say we do deal Vanek.  Even as a rental, his good year should give him some extra value that we can squeeze out there.  Some seemingly playoff-bound teams like Calgary or the Jackets are having scoring issues so I could absolutely see a 2nd being sent back.

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that given the risk we would get much back for him. We've seen some improvements with him, and I still feel he will be an ideal 3rd liner for us.

If we do re-sign the Sedins, I say we do deal Vanek.  Even as a rental, his good year should give him some extra value that we can squeeze out there.  Some seemingly playoff-bound teams like Calgary or the Jackets are having scoring issues so I could absolutely see a 2nd being sent back.

If the return is a 2nd we should move Vanek 100%. Anything less I am pretty much on the fence. 

5 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

If the return is a 2nd we should move Vanek 100%. Anything less I am pretty much on the fence. 

If the return is anything even a 7th round pick I’d take it. What’s the point of him staying on the team as we crash into the bottom of the league. I hoped we’d be a little higher in the standings and thought we’d be better after some injured guys came back but we’re still garbage and Vanek isn’t gonna change that. Who knows maybe we find another gem like Gaudette with a later draft pick that we get from Vanek if that’s all that we get.

18 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

If the return is anything even a 7th round pick I’d take it. What’s the point of him staying on the team as we crash into the bottom of the league. I hoped we’d be a little higher in the standings and thought we’d be better after some injured guys came back but we’re still garbage and Vanek isn’t gonna change that. Who knows maybe we find another gem like Gaudette with a later draft pick that we get from Vanek if that’s all that we get.

He is a good veteran presence for our younger players, scores goals and provides some pushback. I’d like him back next year and let the Sedins retire. 

And even if the return was only a 6th rounder I wouldn’t care either way (hence on the fence). If I hear the return for him sucks and he doesn’t get traded I won’t care either but will be thrilled if we get a 2nd, satisfied with a 3rd or multiple later picks.

20 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Not sure I agree with that. Obviously we aren't a great team, but this same team had a pretty good start to the season and I believe that we have a chance of being at least a mediocre team again next season.  (This one is basically lost already).

So do you bring him back and make the games at least closer and more exciting, and have a vet who can mentor the youth, or do you let him go for a 7th who has 0.001 percent chance of getting in the nhl, lose the mentorship, and force the young guys to both be in an even worse losing culture, as well as being leaned on immediately to try to improve the club?

It doesn't matter.  Vanek is absolutely worth more than a 7th to the right teams.  3rd should be our *minimum* return.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Not sure I agree with that. Obviously we aren't a great team, but this same team had a pretty good start to the season and I believe that we have a chance of being at least a mediocre team again next season.  (This one is basically lost already).

So do you bring him back and make the games at least closer and more exciting, and have a vet who can mentor the youth, or do you let him go for a 7th who has 0.001 percent chance of getting in the nhl, lose the mentorship, and force the young guys to both be in an even worse losing culture, as well as being leaned on immediately to try to improve the club?

It doesn't matter.  Vanek is absolutely worth more than a 7th to the right teams.  3rd should be our *minimum* return.

7th is highly unlikely. What I meant by that is I would take pretty much any pick for him and I’m assuming it’s going to be 3rd or 2nd. There’s also a good chance we can trade and then sign him in FA. Also players like Vanek will be available come FA and we have tons of cap to sorround the young guys with quality players!

5 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

7th is highly unlikely. What I meant by that is I would take pretty much any pick for him and I’m assuming it’s going to be 3rd or 2nd. There’s also a good chance we can trade and then sign him in FA. Also players like Vanek will be available come FA and we have tons of cap to sorround the young guys with quality players!

If I was Linden and Benning I'd be approaching Vanek about resigning here next summer and also talk to him about a potential coaching or development position when he retires. I think he has a real future off the ice and think he could be real valuable in the future in that type of capacity. 

On 2018-02-08 at 3:27 AM, Bitter Melon said:

I've never been so I can't judge, but I've heard that aside from being colder than a witch's teat Minnesota is really nice. There has to be a reason Vanek still goes back to live there.

I lived in the Northwoods of Wisconsin for a few years when I was a kid.  The whole of the Midwest has a draw to it but it’s a whole different world from Vancouver and the rest of the west coast.... was some great deer hunting in those northern midwestern states back in the day :D 

8 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I lived in the Northwoods of Wisconsin for a few years when I was a kid.  The whole of the Midwest has a draw to it but it’s a whole different world from Vancouver and the rest of the west coast.... was some great deer hunting in those northern midwestern states back in the day :D 

Visited there last year. Minnesota is beautiful if you are into the outdoors. Very clean city. Reminded me of Van without the mountains. I'm a hunter, fisherman and could happily live there. 

Do you think he could net us a  prospect or is he worth a pick only?  Here is a blurb from a article on 3 landing spots for Vanek from the Hockey Writers.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-rangers-vanek-grabner-trade-options/

Don’t rule out the Hurricanes in making a bigger splash for Nash or Kane but, failing that, Francis should be able to cause a subtle ripple of some sort, with Vanek or Grabner as candidates. Either of them would give Carolina’s offence a boost and perhaps provide a jolt for Jeff Skinner too.

Peters is right about the Hurricanes having plenty of draft picks, with seven for each of the next three years — including their own first-, second- and third-rounders in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

Carolina also has a deep prospect pool, highlighted by defencemen Jake Bean, Haydn Fleury and Roland McKeown, plus forwards Martin Necas, Janne Kuokkanen, Julien Gauthier, Nicolas Roy, Aleksi Saarela, Valentin Zykov, Sergey Tolchinsky, Warren Foegele, Lucas Wallmark, Phil Di Giuseppe and others still developing in junior, college or overseas.

So if Dundon’s orders are to do what it takes to make the playoffs, Francis should be successful in supplying Peters with some reinforcements for the stretch run.

17 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

If I was Linden and Benning I'd be approaching Vanek about resigning here next summer and also talk to him about a potential coaching or development position when he retires. I think he has a real future off the ice and think he could be real valuable in the future in that type of capacity. 

he's a long way from retiring

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I'd take a 3rd for him at this point.  4th.. sure.. whatever we can get. a 4th and 7th? sure.  We need more picks to make the team deeper.

Rather get an underrated prospect like Dahlen if that's the return.

If Burrows can land a prospect like that I'm sure Vanek can. Just have to find the right dance partner.

Archived