The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks shopping G Anders Nilsson (Friedman)

Rush17

Just now, canucklehead80 said:

Does it really matter? Tells me that Demko has earned a shot at a promotion and management is ready to try and make some room.

Exactly.  To me It's not a "Nilsson has value, lets see what we can get", but "we have better options from within so let's get what value we can from the redundant parts".  I hope that's what the case is.  I'm in no hurry to rush Demko, but if he's ready for a shot, then why wait.

2 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Does it really matter? Tells me that Demko has earned a shot at a promotion and management is ready to try and make some room.

Sure he has earned a shot, but is it the right thing to do right now?  Utica is in a playoff spot.  Demko is likely better off playing the rest of the season there instead of playing meaningless games in the NHL.

Maybe they are looking to make room for next year.  Nilsson has one more year on his contract.  If they can trade him now then they wouldn't have to worry about what to do with him next year.

2 minutes ago, smokes said:

looks like Demko is going to be called up. Would be suprised if Nilsson gets picked up.

why? relatively cheap contract, he's middle of the pack in sv%. We could easily retain a bit of it and/or take back an expiring contract. I think we'll have something like 4 mil+ in deadline day cap space and with his 2 mil we could take back a fairly large expiring contract if someone wants to drop a player. 

9 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Sure he has earned a shot, but is it the right thing to do right now?  Utica is in a playoff spot.  Demko is likely better off playing the rest of the season there instead of playing meaningless games in the NHL.

Maybe they are looking to make room for next year.  Nilsson has one more year on his contract.  If they can trade him now then they wouldn't have to worry about what to do with him next year.

While I can agree that Demko playing during a playoff push with Utica would probably be more beneficial to his development, making room and bringing him up is much more exciting as a fan. That is probably what upper management could be looking at. Trying to drive interest in the team. Keep in mind that Demko may get a call, even if it is just for a game or two, to at least allow management and Demko to gauge how close he truly is. At least it looks as though Demko has sped up his timeline.

1 minute ago, canucklehead80 said:

While I can agree that Demko playing during a playoff push with Utica would probably be more beneficial to his development, making room and bringing him up is much more exciting as a fan. That is probably what upper management could be looking at. Trying to drive interest in the team. Keep in mind that Demko may get a call, even if it is just for a game or two, to at least allow management and Demko to gauge how close he truly is. At least it looks as though Demko has sped up his timeline.

At the same time, I kinda feel for the Utica fans.  They have a good team.  To rip Demko out just for the sake of showing him off and selling some jerseys would be disheartening.

I agree Demko is forcing them to speed up their timeline.  He's ready for the NHL, but DiPietro isn't old enough to take over in Utica yet.  If they don't find a trading partner for Nilsson we may see him in Utica next year instead.

32 minutes ago, riffraff said:

what could he possibly return?

I don't think they want much of a return.

Remember a month ago when we lost a player to injury - and they went out and immediately got us Nic Dowd (an NHL player)?  Then, what happened this week when we lost a player to injury?  They called up a career AHL'er instead.  They surely don't want to replace Nilsson with an NHL player.

It appears our management has started the tank!  It looks like it's going to take 96 points to make the post-season this year.  Which means we'd have to win 24 of our last 29 games.  Not.  Going.  To.  Happen.  So, why not create a spot for our AHL goalie?

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why? relatively cheap contract, he's middle of the pack in sv%. We could easily retain a bit of it and/or take back an expiring contract. I think we'll have something like 4 mil+ in deadline day cap space and with his 2 mil we could take back a fairly large expiring contract if someone wants to drop a player. 

Barring injury, I just don't see Nilsson as an upgrade in the backup position. At least not enough to trade for.

Archived