The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks shopping G Anders Nilsson (Friedman)

Rush17

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

How do you figure Nilsson is worth more than Montoya? Montoya is a much more reliable backup. 

Well not really. Last year Nilsson’s statistics were much better than Montoya’s. This year montoya’s Are a bit better than Nilsson’s. Biggest difference is Nilsson is 5 years younger a 4 inches taller. More likely to turn into a long term piece for a team than Montoya. That ups his value , but only by a little bit which is why I added a 7th. 

3 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Well not really. Last year Nilsson’s statistics were much better than Montoya’s. This year montoya’s Are a bit better than Nilsson’s. Biggest difference is Nilsson is 5 years younger a 4 inches taller. More likely to turn into a long term piece for a team than Montoya. That ups his value , but only by a little bit which is why I added a 7th. 

Career wise Montoya has a better GAA, and is 20 games over .500 as a winning goalie.  Nilsson -5 games as a losing goaltender.  

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Snow said yesterday that they’re not trading high picks for rental players. 

To that end, Snow said he will not make moves out of panic as the Islanders remain close to a berth. “We have obviously two first-round picks, two second-round picks . . . We’re a team that’s right on the edge of getting in the playoffs and not being in the playoffs.

“So, are we going to at this point in time, be giving first round picks and high picks for rental players? I don’t think we’re in that position. Just doesn’t make sense.’’

who said anything about high picks for rentals?

did you read the post you responded to?

Why is everyone thinking Demko will be brought up? I could just as easily see Bachman called up while Demko takes over Utica for the remainder of the year and playoffs (Garteig gets a few regular season games). I don't know the NCAA market, but is there a goalie that they could be interested in?

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Some interesting comments on Nilsson towards the end of this that seem counter to this thread.

"I love his attitude right now, I like his work ethic.  Has been phenomenal the past few weeks.  He's been dialed in at practice and staying sharp.  Can't say enough about how he's been preparing himself lately."
- Green

Like all of Canucks management, clearly he's just lying.  As always.

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, canucklehead80 said:

Does it really matter? Tells me that Demko has earned a shot at a promotion and management is ready to try and make some room.

My first thought was this but then I go back to what Linden said about a month ago and he said their intentions with Demko is to not bring him up at all this year, they supposedly wanted him to spend the whole year in Utica being the #1 since he was a backup last year. Obviously if they do trade Nilsson it only makes sense they will be forced to bring him up unless they aquire another goalie via trade, but who knows what they're thinking anymore tbh.

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Career wise Montoya has a better GAA, and is 20 games over .500 as a winning goalie.  Nilsson -5 games as a losing goaltender.  

Winning percentage of a back up means very little imo. Save percentage should be most important stat

2 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Winning percentage of a back up means very little imo. Save percentage should be most important stat

What?  Coaches want a back-up they can trust.  a guy with a winning record is going to be more attractive than a guy with a losing record.  also, Montoya's save percentage is slightly better than Nillson's.  I didn't  bother mentioning it before because they're practically the same

Just now, qwijibo said:

What?  Coaches want a back-up they can trust.  a guy with a winning record is going to be more attractive than a guy with a losing record.  also, Montoya's save percentage is slightly better than Nillson's.  I didn't  bother mentioning it before because they're practically the same

HIGHLY team dependent.

Not a very good stat to look at when judging the quality of the individual goalie.

2 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

yes, winning percentage of a goaltender should be looked at relative to the winning percentages of the teams they play on - and is a mere cherry pick otherwise. 

And even then, backups tend to play in less predictable circumstances - the second of back to backs (when their team is fatigued), etc- no team would assume a goaltender is better than another based on small samples of unreliable winning percentages.

56 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Snow said yesterday that they’re not trading high picks for rental players. 

To that end, Snow said he will not make moves out of panic as the Islanders remain close to a berth. “We have obviously two first-round picks, two second-round picks . . . We’re a team that’s right on the edge of getting in the playoffs and not being in the playoffs.

“So, are we going to at this point in time, be giving first round picks and high picks for rental players? I don’t think we’re in that position. Just doesn’t make sense.’’

A double double says one single 3 game skid or the jackets/Canes and Panthers winning out on those games at hand or no talk with Tavares pre deadline means they start moving pieces fast

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was that comment meant to be public?  

It was a video clip of practice just after Christmas.  Said 2 things. That sentence was part of it.  Think the other part was "get in f'ing shape". 

How many vets do we have in Utica? Regardless, we could swap 1 for 1 and possibly solve the whole issue...Nilsson down, that goalie that plays guitar for the Guess Who comes up, Demko gets the majority of stops in Uti...and they get a decent backup going into the playoffs. Bachman holds down Demko's spot til next year. If Nilsson doesn't clear and gets nabbed, same solution to the problem...no biggy.

EDIT: Just realized Nilsson is on a 1 way...so maybe 3.000mil is a bit steep for Utica to absorb (or at least Aquaman to dump on a goalie riding the pine in the A)...

Archived