The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC to raise minimum wage to $15.20 by 2021

goalie13

The British Columbia government will raise the minimum wage to $15.20 an hour by June 2021. Premier John Horgan announced Thursday morning that the province has decided to make increases every year on June 1 after reviewing recommendations from the Fair Wages Commission.

The first increase will come on June 1, 2018, when the current minimum wage will go from $11.25 per hour to $12.65 per hour. The province will then revisit the wage each year before the June increase to ensure it is keeping on target.

The British Columbia government promised to get the minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2021 during the 2017 provincial election campaign. Green Party leader Andrew Weaver criticized the government for putting in a firm deadline for implementation while the Fair Wages Commission was preparing it’s recommendations.

The province is attempting to avoid similar criticism to what the Ontario government received when it jacked up the hourly rate on Jan. 1, 2018 from $11.60 to $14 per hour. At the time of the increase, restaurants in B.C. warned that a sharp increase here would mean either more expensive meals for customers or staff being fired.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4014200/b-c-to-raise-minimum-wage-to-15-20-an-hour-by-june-2021/?utm_source=GlobalBC&utm_medium=Facebook

It seems about right.  It will be interesting to see the reaction that comes out of this announcement.

Literally nothing that wasn't already announced by both parties pre-election.

Not a big deal, at least the increases are gradual.

And for anyone who thinks raising minimum wage is entirely bad, if your business cannot survive unless you're paying people the bare minimum that's not a wage issue, that's a you issue

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

And for anyone who thinks raising minimum wage is entirely bad, if your business cannot survive unless you're paying people the bare minimum that's not a wage issue, that's a you issue

Agreed.  I just thought it was notable that they made it official and laid out a timeline.

As for the wage itself, keep in mind that the raise in minimum wage doesn't just impact the company that's paying minimum wage.  It often also impacts their suppliers and landlords and other services they use.  So they will have more increases to their expenses than just direct wages.  To that end, I think it's good that BC has chosen a more gradual approach than what Ontario did.

At least it's gradual.

I suspect we'll see a price increase in services provided by minimum wage individuals as well, to go along with the cost increase of paying them. Smaller businesses will probably struggle a bit more to keep afloat, but the larger ones will likely just pass those expenses on to the consumer at some point.

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not a bad start but it should be more 

Totally agree the minimum wage should be more.  Why not raise it to 20/hr?

Don't a lot of minimum wage type jobs in northern Alberta pay more than what the minimum wage actually is?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Don't a lot of minimum wage type jobs in northern Alberta pay more than what the minimum wage actually is?

I belive thats true, there's a lot of crazy things going on up there. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

15.20 by 2021 well if the cost of living continues in B.C the way it is than in 2021 that will be like making 10$/hour in 2014

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They do, in some cases significantly more. Couple reasons, can't find employees, cost of trucking goods to those areas and businesses gouging in those areas.

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because it would devalue the currency making a raise that high completely redundant. Venezuela went through the same thing.

minimum eage in australia was 20 a hr in 1999  if u worked weekend it wastime and a half    everyone  has money soo businesses thrive because  people have bank. We pay the most for internet and cells and we get taxed up the ass in bc. Its time we didnt get screwed over living in bc.

7 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

minimum eage in australia was 20 a hr in 1999  if u worked weekend it wastime and a half    everyone  has money soo businesses thrive because  people have bank. We pay the most for internet and cells and we get taxed up the ass in bc. Its time we didnt get screwed over living in bc.

Sounds like a simple plan, that would work too.  Cut Government spending and government.  Raise minimum wage to 20 bucks.  Government workers losing their jobs, who are not qualified to earn private business employment that pays more than minimum wage, can work the minimum wage jobs, and still get paid decent.  There will be a lot more money in peoples' pockets, so everyone will spend more.  It's EASY.  

Easy Button.gif

Get ready to pay more at the till. This will all be passed on to the customer. Paid breaks, employee discounts and some bonuses plans will likely be abolished as companies struggle to keep their variable costs down.

I feel bad for the small business owner operators that bring unique elements to any neighbourhood. I know some people that barely keep a float as it is. So they will close and some on this thread have no problem with that.

Maybe i'm just seeing short term pain for long term gain. Yet I fear a future of...Walmart, Starbucks and Mcbloaters as our only options? 

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Get ready to pay more at the till. This will all be passed on to the customer. Paid breaks, employee discounts and some bonuses plans will likely be abolished as companies struggle to keep their variable costs down.

I feel bad for the small business owner operators that bring unique elements to any neighbourhood. I know some people that barely keep a float as it is. So they will close and some on this thread have no problem with that.

Maybe i'm just seeing short term pain for long term gain. Yet I fear a future of...Walmart, Starbucks and Mcbloaters as our only options? 

Im in the middle myself on if this is a good or bad idea. I think it will hurt the small business owner in the short term. Longer term its hard to say. I see arguments that it will increase spending power and quality of life for those on minimum wage which is great! But I also fear that with the accompanying inflation one really wont be much ahead of where we are today and for those that make more than the minimum wage they most likely will not see an increase all the while paying more for goods due to the inflation, from among a variety of factors, the minimum wage increase.

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like a simple plan, that would work too.  Cut Government spending and government.  Raise minimum wage to 20 bucks.  Government workers losing their jobs, who are not qualified to earn private business employment that pays more than minimum wage, can work the minimum wage jobs, and still get paid decent.  There will be a lot more money in peoples' pockets, so everyone will spend more.  It's EASY.  

Easy Button.gif

Then you run into the government employees union ;P

Pretty sad how so many people are against this. Maybe if they were paid more too, they wouldn't whine about how some pipply faced weasel brewing their coffee makes 15 an hour. Quite frankly most of us should probably be paid more if you look at trends of the cost of everything else increasing and wages have generally stagnated. 

And as cost of living continues to rise with no end in site, the product we pay for also gradually becomes less over time. This idea that if we pay people a few extra bucks an hour the world will come tumbling down after the economy crashes is crap because employers have to raise prices, and yadda yadda. They were doing that anyway. It's greed on their part at this point, don't fool yourself. It wasn't long ago your salary alone could pay for a two car garage, two cars, and a family vacation. Now? Highly unlikely... People have pathetically low expectations where that a considerable portion of the population struggling to get by is somehow their fault and that we cannot ever do better

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Get ready to pay more at the till. This will all be passed on to the customer.

I  am happy to pay more if it means my neighbours kids don't have to eat scraps from the garbage bin on the street.

I care about my neighbours kids.  I am happy to pay more live in a better society.   I care about others. 

Archived