The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC to raise minimum wage to $15.20 by 2021

goalie13

25 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I  am happy to pay more if it means my neighbours kids don't have to eat scraps from the garbage bin on the street.

I care about my neighbours kids.  I am happy to pay more live in a better society.   I care about others. 

Are you implying I don't? but congratulations for being so proud of yourself, you seem like a very conscientious poster.

One of the businesses I run is in the DTES, you may have heard of it? poorest neighbourhood in Canada? Our group has done a lot for the suffering demographic in that area. I take the responsibilities of the business community down there very seriously. 

However, I get you're trying to be dramatic. The point i'm wondering about is that if the goods go up, the increase in the min wage is cancelled out to some degree, no?

And i never said I'm against it, just not sure if it's being done the right way.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Are you implying I don't? but congratulations for being so proud of yourself, you seem like a very conscientious poster.

One of the businesses I run is in the DTES, you may have heard of it? poorest neighbourhood in Canada? Our group has done a lot for the suffering demographic in that area. I take the responsibilities of the business community down there very seriously. 

However, I get you're trying to be dramatic. The point i'm wondering about is that if the goods go up, the increase in the min wage is cancelled out to some degree, no?

And i never said I'm against it, just not sure if it's being done the right way.

Awesome you run a business in the DTES.  Yes, i know the area well as i am often there.

So important for businesses to not give up on the DTES , Kudos for you for supporting the area.

Yes, my post was being dramatic. 

I am very much a huge supporter of reducing child poverty.   I have spent many years worked with disadvantaged youth.  I have seen the damage that to often occurs when a child is raised in poverty.  Our children in Canada deserve so much better than we provide them.  So many of our  kids have so many barriers in front of them at such an early age.   Canada needs to address child poverty....  and BC is especially guilty of neglecting our children. 

24 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

And as cost of living continues to rise with no end in site, the product we pay for also gradually becomes less over time. This idea that if we pay people a few extra bucks an hour the world will come tumbling down after the economy crashes is crap because employers have to raise prices, and yadda yadda. They were doing that anyway. It's greed on their part at this point, don't fool yourself. It wasn't long ago your salary alone could pay for a two car garage, two cars, and a family vacation. Now? Highly unlikely... People have pathetically low expectations where that a considerable portion of the population struggling to get by is somehow their fault and that we cannot ever do better

It wasn't too long ago we didn't have computers, smart phones, internet connections, as well as numerous products and services that didn't exist 10-20 years ago, many of which we can't feel we can live without.  So, on top of housing, food, transport, and other basic needs, we have piled these things onto our lives.  Our money doesn't seem to go as far as it used to, because we are trying to do more with it.

Since the majority of people who make minimum wage are not living in poverty, because they are not the primary breadwinner in the household, how much do people really think this will help combat poverty, when prices rise and impact everyone, especially those who are already struggling?  Sure, some small percentage of people living in poverty will benefit from this, but most of these increases will go to teens, college students, and retirees.  Years down the road, the impact on poverty rates will be negligible.  

When you adjust for inflation, minimum wage growth in Canada mirrors average wage growth (Source).  Given that, wouldn't you think the cause for any suffering lies elsewhere?

I think it’s awful for my personal situation unless they cap how much big businesses can inflate their prices to compensate. I think it’s good for the people who are going to get a raise. 

But I doubt my industry has seen a 20%+ raise in the last 20 years combined. I’d be happy if our wages increased 10% in the next 3 years.

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

These employers are all fools.

Screw minimum wage and just hire women.

You don’t have to pay them as much, I hear. 

Why don't we just bring in a million foreign workers.. deny them human rights......     threaten to send them home the minute they complain.....

This should keep CDN wages down for another decade.....

The 1%ers in Canada can then make even more sick profits and instead of millions can make billions......

More money... more money .... more money..... yummmmmmm

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why don't we just bring in a million foreign workers.. deny them human rights......     threaten to send them home the minute they complain.....

This should keep CDN wages down for another decade.....

The 1%ers in Canada can then make even more sick profits and instead of millions can make billions......

More money... more money .... more money..... yummmmmmm

No man.

Only bring women and that unicorn-riding wage gap. 

Nothing beats a good sci-fi story about inequality in Canada in 2018. 

1 hour ago, Dittohead said:

I think the people at the drive thru should make $100k a year. seems worth it. That'll be $150  for your big mac. thanlks

I think the drive through working  people should make so little money they have to sleep on sheets of  cardboard  in the park......  beg for food in front of  Tim's ..... and their kids should be so hungry / tired  that they can't learn at school......

That's a great BC isn't it ?   At least i can get my garbage fast food meal for under 5 bucks that way.....

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think the drive through working  people should make so little money they have to sleep on sheets of  cardboard  in the park......  beg for food in front of  Tim's ..... and their kids should be so hungry / tired  that they can't learn at school......

That's a great BC isn't it ?   At least i can get my garbage fast food meal for under 5 bucks that way.....

I don't eat fast food.

6 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I think it’s awful for my personal situation unless they cap how much big businesses can inflate their prices to compensate. I think it’s good for the people who are going to get a raise. 

But I doubt my industry has seen a 20%+ raise in the last 20 years combined. I’d be happy if our wages increased 10% in the next 3 years.

My rates have been

more or less the same since 2009......meanwhile.......

good thing I'm really good at what I do and work my ass off.

8 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Awesome you run a business in the DTES.  Yes, i know the area well as i am often there.

So important for businesses to not give up on the DTES , Kudos for you for supporting the area.

Yes, my post was being dramatic. 

I am very much a huge supporter of reducing child poverty.   I have spent many years worked with disadvantaged youth.  I have seen the damage that to often occurs when a child is raised in poverty.  Our children in Canada deserve so much better than we provide them.  So many of our  kids have so many barriers in front of them at such an early age.   Canada needs to address child poverty....  and BC is especially guilty of neglecting our children. 

Who do you mean by BC?

me?

other hardworking families?

i respect your efforts with your youth believe me.  But I've seen parents living at or below the poverty line and somehow they manage to have cigarettes, phones, iPads, alcohol and a lot of spare time.

time for a lot of people to start making better decisions with money, lifestyle choices and family planning.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree the minimum wage should be more.  Why not raise it to 20/hr?

Don't a lot of minimum wage type jobs in northern Alberta pay more than what the minimum wage actually is?

Totally.  I hear Alberta is the promised land.  Everyone should go there. 

Right now!

10 hours ago, canuktravella said:

minimum eage in australia was 20 a hr in 1999  if u worked weekend it wastime and a half    everyone  has money soo businesses thrive because  people have bank. We pay the most for internet and cells and we get taxed up the ass in bc. Its time we didnt get screwed over living in bc.

Sure about that?  I was there in 97 and was paid 12$/hr

At that time it was also the easiest welfare system to cheat.

i know people that collected from multiple addresses.

A party was thrown for a 28 year old guy (at the time) who got a job for the first time in ten years. A huge laugh for all.

totally messed up.

Archived