TheGuardian_

Would A Statement Like The Rangers Make A Difference?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Well another rich team has basically stated that they are blowing it up.

This is from a team in the hunt, only a few points out of a playoffs spot.

This is a team that has stated they are trading away veteran players that are and may be still in their prime and wanted.

Here is the letter;

 

“As you know, since the 2005-06 season, we have been a highly competitive team. We have played 129 playoff games, won the Presidents’ Trophy, reached the Conference Finals three times, as well as the Stanley Cup Final. While we’re proud of all those accomplishments — we didn’t reach our ultimate foal of bringing the Stanley Cup back to New York.

“So as we do every season, we have been continuously evaluating our team, looking for areas that can be improved to enhance our chances of winning. We began the process of reshaping our team this past sumer, when we traded for assets that we believe will help us in the years to come. As we approach the trade deadline later this month and into the summer, we will be focused on adding young, competitive players that combine speed, skill and character. This may mean we lose some familiar faces, guys we all care about and respect. While this is part of the game, it’s never easy. Our promise to you is that our plans will be guided by our singular commitment: ensuring we are building the foundation for our next Stanley Cup contender.”

 

Instead this market gets statements like "It would be unfair to the Sedins to do a rebuild" or "we knew we needed to do a rebuild when we were hired" or out and out lies like, getting the team younger while the team got older and older for 3 years until the 4th year and the only reason the team looks younger now is the number and age of players not playing. Guance and Gagner are out, the team just got older than 4 years ago, Bouchard comes in and now they are close again.

 

Now after all the mixed messages from Benning and Linden a letter like this would be or could hardly be credible.

 

Toronto a few years ago stated something like this, fans accepted and TO is still doing their rebuild, Edmonton, just prior to the purge there and they are still doing theirs as well.

 

What a letter like this is called, is leadership, what this is, is management doing a management job of at least saying their goal is to win a cup, not be just competitive.

This is a winning team, with a winning environment with management that realizes they aren't good enough and knows how to do the job. Experienced management people.

 

Edited by TheGuardian_
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No...

 

because the writing is on the wall and we're already in our final rock bottom year.  Any statement of the sort would be derided by fans and ugly media in Vancouver alike

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the same folks who needed to actually hear the 'R' word last year maybe.


 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different markets I guess. It is surprising news from their management, and not sure why they wrote the letter. Maybe this is their way of advertising to the rest of the league "we're selling, even though we may make the playoffs".

 

Canucks have been rebuilding for the last couple of years, Canucks fans know this already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your title reads as the Rags being "statements", themselves.

 

Perhaps the statement is being a 'sacred cow' to this corrupt league, as most major US markets seem to be. Van must try to succeed, despite the league's rigged nature.

 

Orgs like the Rags have league blessing, from there where league hindquarter's resides.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Well another rich team has basically stated that they are blowing it up.

This is from a team in the hunt, only a few points out of a playoffs spot.

This is a team that has stated they are trading away veteran players that are and may be still in their prime and wanted.

Here is the letter;

 

“As you know, since the 2005-06 season, we have been a highly competitive team. We have played 129 playoff games, won the Presidents’ Trophy, reached the Conference Finals three times, as well as the Stanley Cup Final. While we’re proud of all those accomplishments — we didn’t reach our ultimate foal of bringing the Stanley Cup back to New York.

“So as we do every season, we have been continuously evaluating our team, looking for areas that can be improved to enhance our chances of winning. We began the process of reshaping our team this past sumer, when we traded for assets that we believe will help us in the years to come. As we approach the trade deadline later this month and into the summer, we will be focused on adding young, competitive players that combine speed, skill and character. This may mean we lose some familiar faces, guys we all care about and respect. While this is part of the game, it’s never easy. Our promise to you is that our plans will be guided by our singular commitment: ensuring we are building the foundation for our next Stanley Cup contender.”

 

Instead this market gets statements like "It would be unfair to the Sedins to do a rebuild" or "we knew we needed to do a rebuild when we were hired" or out and out lies like, getting the team younger while the team got older and older for 3 years until the 4th year and the only reason the team looks younger now is the number and age of players not playing. Guance and Gagner are out, the team just got older than 4 years ago, Bouchard comes in and now they are close again.

 

Now after all the mixed messages from Benning and Linden a letter like this would be or could hardly be credible.

 

Toronto a few years ago stated something like this, fans accepted and TO is still doing their rebuild, Edmonton, just prior to the purge there and they are still doing theirs as well.

 

What a letter like this is called, is leadership, what this is, is management doing a management job of at least saying their goal is to win a cup, not be just competitive.

This is a winning team, with a winning environment with management that realizes they aren't good enough and knows how to do the job. Experienced management people.

 

Why would it even matter if Vancouver's management released a statement like this then? You already said you wouldn't believe them anyway. So your entire post is moot.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Edited by BM24
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No...

 

because the writing is on the wall and we're already in our final rock bottom year.  Any statement of the sort would be derided by fans and ugly media in Vancouver alike

I only wish it was true but rock bottom needs to happen but will not happen as long as this group is in charge. They would sign a bunch of vets or trade for some NYR players, improve by 10 points and declare victory.

This group's goal is to be "competitive", they have stated that probably 100 times over the last 3 1/2+ years.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

For the same folks who needed to actually hear the 'R' word last year maybe.


 

 

 

"I am only saying the word rebuild to satisfy the fans", I other words if will say it to the fans just to keep their mouths shut, I will say anything even if we don't do it.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Different markets I guess. It is surprising news from their management, and not sure why they wrote the letter. Maybe this is their way of advertising to the rest of the league "we're selling, even though we may make the playoffs".

 

Canucks have been rebuilding for the last couple of years, Canucks fans know this already.

The Canucks have signed 7 veterans to play on the team, they have 2 draft picks on the team. The team is 0.25 yrs younger than when they got here and still older than the average age in the NHL . A rebuilding team that signs more vets over playing young prospects and draft picks. A rebuilding team that is still in the basement for 5 years?

 

Canuck fans know they rebuilding, sure, and Benning talked to the Sedins about their plans but Linden says they didn't.

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Perhaps the statement is being a 'sacred cow' to this corrupt league, as most major US markets seem to be. Van must try to succeed, despite the league's rigged nature.

Definitely don't go to a gun fight with a knife. NYR get #1, because it would be good for the league? Not happening, the league would not be that stupid.

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Why would it even matter if Vancouver's management released a statement like this then? You already said you wouldn't believe them anyway. So your entire post is moot.

Not if the subtle or maybe not so subtle message of the post is something other than stated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I only wish it was true but rock bottom needs to happen but will not happen as long as this group is in charge. They would sign a bunch of vets or trade for some NYR players, improve by 10 points and declare victory.

This group's goal is to be "competitive", they have stated that probably 100 times over the last 3 1/2+ years.

 

"I am only saying the word rebuild to satisfy the fans", I other words if will say it to the fans just to keep their mouths shut, I will say anything even if we don't do it.

The Canucks have signed 7 veterans to play on the team, they have 2 draft picks on the team. The team is 0.25 yrs younger than when they got here and still older than the average age in the NHL . A rebuilding team that signs more vets over playing young prospects and draft picks. A rebuilding team that is still in the basement for 5 years?

 

Canuck fans know they rebuilding, sure, and Benning talked to the Sedins about their plans but Linden says they didn't.

Definitely don't go to a gun fight with a knife. NYR get #1, because it would be good for the league? Not happening, the league would not be that stupid.

Not if the subtle or maybe not so subtle message of the post is something other than stated.

 

photo1-1024x1024(pp_w614_h614).jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

The Canucks have already publicly admitted they are rebuilding.  What would the point of a letter be now?

 

Dear Fans,

 

If you haven't noticed yet, we've been rebuilding for the past several years.

4 years, what has been accomplished? Lots of possible NHL players not in the NHL? Younger, nope. More goals, nope. Fewer scored against, nope. First round picks playing meaningful roles in the NHL or AHL, one out of 5,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

4 years, what has been accomplished? Lots of possible NHL players not in the NHL? Younger, nope. More goals, nope. Fewer scored against, nope. First round picks playing meaningful roles in the NHL or AHL, one out of 5,

I thought the topic was about admitting they are rebuilding as opposed to whether the rebuild has been successful.  There's plenty of topics about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck..could take this back to '94 even. Bure gets tossed, Messier gets a free pass(same kind of hit).

 

Just go run over our team leader, at the end of game 6? Oh ya..league giggles about that. Media will avoid it.

 

I'll never forgive what the Yanks did to what I felt was the best league in the world.

League HQ's SHOULD be in Canada. A true player like Dryden or Orr SHOULD have overseen league interests/direction.

The BOG gave priority to US markets..NYR is epicentre of that B*lls**t!

 

I'll be damned, if the Van market should draw pointers from Gotham. May's well compare a poker table in Whalley to The Bellagio.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

4 years, what has been accomplished? Lots of possible NHL players not in the NHL? Younger, nope. More goals, nope. Fewer scored against, nope. First round picks playing meaningful roles in the NHL or AHL, one out of 5,

Except they are younger and if you expect more goals and fewer goals scored after only 4 years given our starting situation then you might as well go take a ride with Peter Pan.

 

The same could also be said when it comes to expecting 1st round picks to show up in the NHL right away. Boeser only came in this year pretty much. If you're expecting Juolevi and Pettersson to do the same in a shorter amount of time than that (even if they take an extra year), then you sound more like someone blowing illogical steam off and would be the last person I'd want in a management role on this team.

 

This isn't some magical carpet ride people where we should expect the "perfect transition". This is reality and rebuilds take time, usually more than 4 years.

Edited by The Lock
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes because their are people like me that think the owners are impatient and are meddling in the decisions that JB/TL make.  From the get go this has never felt that owners/management/coaching have all been on the same page and some of the moves that been made have been questionable at best.  I want ownership to come out and say that they support both TL and JB and that this 'rebuild' is being fully implemented and on schedule.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

This is pretty much why I've refrained from commenting on this thread until now. Basically like talking to a brick wall.

Pretty much this. It's one thing to have a sound logical discussion with someone with both sides listening (I like those discussions). It's another thing to argue with a drunkard throwing random temper tantrums about everything because they are not getting their way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

4 years, what has been accomplished? Lots of possible NHL players not in the NHL? Younger, nope. More goals, nope. Fewer scored against, nope. First round picks playing meaningful roles in the NHL or AHL, one out of 5,

4 years ago the Canucks never had a prospect pool. It was more of a prospect puddle. Benning has slowly filled up that pool with very good prospects who are developing. So far, Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen are on the team. Next year maybe we see Gaudette, Pettersson and Demko. The year after that maybe we see Dahlen, Lind and Juolevi. It takes time to rebuild a team. 

 

What does this have to do with NYR writing a letter to their fans?

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.