The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which RFA is most important to the team?

JM_

Which RFA is most important to the team?  

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've got 5 RFA's coming up - who do we want to lock up? Who do we not want to take a long-term risk on? Who has more trade value than long term value to us?

Here's an article outlining where we are at with each: https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2018/2/11/16969568/canucks-have-decisions-to-make-on-young-rfas

All things considered, who's the most important piece moving forward? 

EDIT: I realized I forget Boucher (subconscious bias perhaps :P) so put him in as a write in if you think he's more important than the 5 listed. 

IMO Stecher is the one I'd be willing to go long term on. I think we know he's top 6 D material and could likely get him on a very good long term deal. Jake is the most critical bridge deal to me as well, maybe even a 1 year deal to light a fire under him. I wouldn't look to trade any of them just yet, we don't have the depth yet to trade youth and they could all turn out to be solid players. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

IMO Stecher is the one I'd be willing to go long term on. I think we know he's top 6 D material and could likely get him on a very good long term deal. Jake is the most critical bridge deal to me as well, maybe even a 1 year deal to light a fire under him. I wouldn't look to trade any of them just yet, we don't have the depth yet to trade youth and they could all turn out to be solid players. 

I agree ,but I see sven and granlund equal or granlund having a slight edge on long term if only for his consistency kinda yannik hansenish.....

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I listed Baer... but I think I'd have to agree with you on this. He's never going to be a top 3 dman, but I think he is so dedicated to the game that he's not going to suddenly be like Hutton and forget how to stop playing his game. Plus, the Canucks are sooooo thin at D.

11 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I listed Baer... but I think I'd have to agree with you on this. He's never going to be a top 3 dman, but I think he is so dedicated to the game that he's not going to suddenly be like Hutton and forget how to stop playing his game. Plus, the Canucks are sooooo thin at D.

He could turn into an Ellis-light for us. I don't think he'll rise up quite to that level but he'll be a reliable 5/6 I think, and if he comes in at something around 2.5 on a multi-year deal that would be ideal I think. 

15 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I agree ,but I see sven and granlund equal or granlund having a slight edge on long term if only for his consistency kinda yannik hansenish.....

I've had the same thought on Granlund as well, he doesn't get a lot of credit on CDC for his defensive work. I think that wrist is still a problem too, I wouldn't be surprised to hear he has one more procedure in the offseason. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

He could turn into an Ellis-light for us. I don't think he'll rise up quite to that level but he'll be a reliable 5/6 I think, and if he comes in at something around 2.5 on a multi-year deal that would be ideal I think. 

Ryan Ellis is exactly who Jordan Subban needed to emulate to reach the NHL and he never accomplished this. I definitely think the Stetcher can be a poor-man's Ellis. 

You sign Virt to a 3-4 year deal at a low aav right now when his value is about as low as it'll ever get b/c when he breaks out next year he'll cost us double or higher. 

Stecher,  for as solid as he's been,  gets signed for 3yr. 

Bear/Granny/Poully have all been inconsistent at times - that means they're a risk to sign longer-term but still worth it if the aav is reasonable. 

I do feel Stetch is one of solid demen in future Canucks lineup. He plays fast, energy, need a physical player pair with him that will be great.n

Virtanen is young, and much improvement in this season. He has speed, size, and he need time to further development. He will become a valuable forwarder.

The others are not consistency in this season, need not trade until good returns.

I think that all of them are worth keeping with the possible exception of Boucher.  Who knows, the way he's playing since he has been called up, he may have morphed into a player.  That would be great.

As for who to lock up long term, I think that Baertschi is the best player on the list right now.  He's going to be the 2nd line LW imo. 

He's firmly in the top 180 forwards in the league in terms of production last year:  goals 110 (18)  points 165 (35)  and points per game 164 (0.51)

And this year:  goals 138 (12) points 172 (24) and ppg 150 (0.53) despite missing 11 games

But there are good arguments for Stecher and Granlund. 

Virtanen and Pouliot, we're waiting on them to develop still so I guess that makes them the candidates for a bridge deal.  They're worth keeping for sure.

I for one also think that Baer should be locked up. He does a lot of things so well despite not having game breaking skill. He plays a complete game and has gone through a lot to get where he is. The guy can dig it. 

Get Virt for 4+ between 1.5-2.5 mil. He is low risk and definitely shows shades of the player he could become (the way he played against the Stars) if he learns consistency. 

I like Stech out of the bunch but I think Pouliot is also a great piece at the right price. I give Troy the slight edge though. 

Granlund hs has been a true found wallet, but I think he would be a good piece to send the other way in a trade seeing his role can pretty much be whatever a coach asks. 

Baertschi: Re-sign for sure.  We know exactly what he's all about by this point, and regardless of what you may think of his relatively one-dimensional game, he brings needed scoring to our team right now and has good chemistry with Horvat.  Once we have our prospects on the team and able to produce, he becomes expendable.  So no-go on a trade clause.  It can be a bridge if required for 2 years, which still allows us to trade him at the deadline in his last season if we find the forward prospects have progressed as expected.

Granlund: Hasn't had a good showing this season, but is a good utility player and has shown he can play a decent defensive game. Again, useful to us in the short term, but expendable in a couple of years, so same as Baertschi - 2 year bridge, or longer if he's willing.  Might get good value here, since I think he can do far more than he showed this season.

Virtanen: Prime candidate for a bridge contract.  It would serve both him and our team well to do so. I don't mind a clause for him since I feel he would be able to remain a fixture in our bottom 6.

Reid Boucher: So we've seen him for 6 games, and he played really well in one of them. Might as well qualify him and see what he becomes during that time.  He has shown well in the AHL so maybe he is finally coming into his own, but needs a 2-way contract which he probably won't like much but it is what it is.
Pouliot: Again, might as well qualify him but he has some real work to do.  2-way contract here too.

Stecher: Sign him to a contract.  I know he hasn't had a good showing this season, but he's speedy and pretty dynamic, and once Benning rebuilds our D I still see a spot for him on our bottom pairing at minimum.

For me all of these guys could be involved in a trade at some point, and also could be signed with reasonable deals.  None of them could be considered core players yet, but they all have some value and could become core players later or be traded to either add picks or fill a void.  See Burrows thread ..... One of them (Virtanen? Stetcher? Boucher?) may be a diamond in the rough too.

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I for one also think that Baer should be locked up. He does a lot of things so well despite not having game breaking skill. He plays a complete game and has gone through a lot to get where he is. The guy can dig it.

I am going to admit that I have some irrational distaste for Sven, I am not sure why, maybe it is because I am looking for him on the ice most of the time, maybe because I think he gets preferential treatment or is there because he was put on a pedestal by Linden and Benning before he earned it, I believe he is playing as hard as he can, but also think he is riding Horvat's coat tails or his line mates.

I don't know but I admit to having some trouble rating him only without negativity.

Whatever, if he is as good as some poster think, then at his age now he should be moved as he is not a "core" guy and his value may not increase too much more. IMO I think putting Jake with Boeser and Horvat might be a better line.

I think with Baertschi, you go for a 3-4 year deal at $3.5-$4M per year at this point. No extra clauses involved. He's a pretty stable top end 2nd liner/bottom end 1st liner at this point and you know what you're getting.

Stecher would be my second pick for a long deal, but I could see a shorter one too. He hasn't really earned a big paycheque either way though. I don't see him earning more than $3.5M per and should probably be closer to 2.5 or 3.

Granlund has had a pretty poor season, so I wouldn't be crushed to see him go, though his defense is nice. 

Virtanen and Pouliot are two that I really think need short deals. Neither are certainly known quantities. Max $2M per year for each of them, probably closer to $1.5M. Two years max.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I am going to admit that I have some irrational distaste for Sven, I am not sure why, maybe it is because I am looking for him on the ice most of the time, maybe because I think he gets preferential treatment or is there because he was put on a pedestal by Linden and Benning before he earned it, I believe he is playing as hard as he can, but also think he is riding Horvat's coat tails or his line mates.

I don't know but I admit to having some trouble rating him only without negativity.

Whatever, if he is as good as some poster think, then at his age now he should be moved as he is not a "core" guy and his value may not increase too much more. IMO I think putting Jake with Boeser and Horvat might be a better line.

On the flip side, If we develop attachments to these guys it may hurt a little when you see them go....buy the sweater and regret it down the road if you know what I mean.  For me I don't like it when I pick someone in a hockey pool and he underachieves, and can understand how an irrational distaste develops if he ends up in Vancouver. 

Stecher, Baertschi, Virtanen are the ones I'd like to be re-signed. Don't think you can commit to a super long term deal for any of them but I could see ~4 years for Baertschi/Stecher. Two or so for Virtanen. Pouliot I don't really mind either way, but I'd like to see Holm get a shot next year. Granlund is meh, again not a terrible thing if he's re-signed but he's the most expendable in my eyes. Need to somehow clear roster spots for guys like Pettersson, Goldobin, Gaudette, etc to compete over; its clear we can't ice virtually the same lineup next year so the cuts have to come somewhere. 

Archived