The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Amazon Alexa or google home

Tony Romo

25 minutes ago, Tony Romo said:

Hey guys and girls,

Im looking at purchasing one of these, any recommendations? What one is better and why?

I have both. They both are pretty good gadgets, but differ in some ways. The amazon echo's mic (I have the echo dot) is a lot more sensitive and has a farther range, but the google home seems to be more responsive when it comes to executing commands, its just a split second more responsive than the Echo dot. Overall though, I'd lean towards the Amazon Echo or Echo dot since they have way way way more compatibility with upcoming applicances and gadgets (almost 5 to 1 ratio), Amazon having a growing presence up here in Canada so grocery ordering through Alexa is not that far off, and probably the big thing for me is the Amazon Echo can output music to an external blutooth speaker, while the Google Home cannot out of the box ( you'll need to buy a chromecast)

I heard that Alexa was pretty snooty when asked who would win the Super Bowl.  She was wrong too :) 

I have neither, so don't know one from the other.  Just had to share the above, as the person who told me is a huge Pats fan who was strutting around just fine on Friday before .

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I heard that Alexa was pretty snooty when asked who would win the Super Bowl.  She was wrong too :) 

I have neither, so don't know one from the other.  Just had to share the above, as the person who told me is a huge Pats fan who was strutting around just fine on Friday before .

I hope you gave that bandwagoner a proper verbal beat-down after the game!  I marginally dislike the Pats, but the majority of their fans, especially the bandwagoners who are going to jump ship once they start losing again, are so much worse than the actual team.

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I hope you gave that bandwagoner a proper verbal beat-down after the game!  I marginally dislike the Pats, but the majority of their fans, especially the bandwagoners who are going to jump ship once they start losing again, are so much worse than the actual team.

Part of me wanted to, but she's the admin for our floor, so someone good to keep on your side, and I sit very close by.  I still gave her a hard time as did some others, and I think deep down she knew she had it coming.  I did ask her thoughts about the two (supposedly) questionable TDs, and then helped her remove her Pats-glasses and see the light.  She listened, and I think it sunk in.  That might be more fulfilling than anything else :) 

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I don’t recall any Pats fans from 20 plus years ago.

Every single person that I have come across has become a Pats fan around y2k. 

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t recall any Pats fans from 20 plus years ago.

Every single person that I have come across has become a Pats fan around y2k. 

Since the Bills have been playing against them twice a year for as long as I can remember, I still remember the times when they were a sad sack of an organization.  The stadium there was quiet and half empty most years.  Robert Kraft actually had to rescue them from moving out of Boston in the early 90's.  Their support for the team was so bad that they almost lost the franchise.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Since the Bills have been playing against them twice a year for as long as I can remember, I still remember the times when they were a sad sack of an organization.  The stadium there was quiet and half empty most years.  Robert Kraft actually had to rescue them from moving out of Boston in the early 90's.  Their support for the team was so bad that they almost lost the franchise.

Agree, no one cared about that team back in the 90’s.

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

Part of me wanted to, but she's the admin for our floor, so someone good to keep on your side, and I sit very close by.  I still gave her a hard time as did some others, and I think deep down she knew she had it coming.  I did ask her thoughts about the two (supposedly) questionable TDs, and then helped her remove her Pats-glasses and see the light.  She listened, and I think it sunk in.  That might be more fulfilling than anything else :) 

Clements TD was more questionable than the Ertz TD considering Ertz had already established himself as a runner when he took two steps. Don't know why Collinsworth kept ragging on about how that was questionable and was similar to Jesse James when Ertz was what James should have done.

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I have both.  Which one being better depends on what you plan on doing with it.  What do you plan on using an AI for?  Are you looking for the cheapest version or are you planning on one of the bigger versions?

Need more information from you.

Hahah Honestly I was compensated 1600 dollar pre paid online Visa card by delta airlines for being bumped back to back flights. And just thought hey these look cool, I should use some of my visa to get this. So I have no need for it at all just want the coolest one. 

44 minutes ago, Tony Romo said:

Hahah Honestly I was compensated 1600 dollar pre paid online Visa card by delta airlines for being bumped back to back flights. And just thought hey these look cool, I should use some of my visa to get this. So I have no need for it at all just want the coolest one. 

In that case, if you don't mind being stuck completely in the crApple eco-system you may as well get the $350 Apple Homepod.  It sounds the best and is the most technically advanced.  If you go that route, you'll only be able to set it up with an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch and you'll only be able to use Apple music services and whatnot. 

I don't like Apple so I'm staying away from the Homepod, but it's supposed to be the best AI speaker out there.

If I were you though I'd grab an Amazon echo dot and a Google Home Mini.  Right now they are both on sale for $40.  Use them both for a month and decide which AI you like better then upgrade to the bigger speakers.

13 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Clements TD was more questionable than the Ertz TD considering Ertz had already established himself as a runner when he took two steps. Don't know why Collinsworth kept ragging on about how that was questionable and was similar to Jesse James when Ertz was what James should have done.

To avoid further derailment, I'll PM you my thoughts.

Archived