The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Chris Tanev's future as a Canuck, and Adam Gaudette

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Recap:

• In Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts, and on radio - he heard that Gaudette liked an article last year when Boeser had contemplated to stay at North Dakota an extra year, and that was the start of where people doubted whether Adam Gaudette might hold on signing with the Canucks.  He feels that too many people latched onto it as it being him not wanting to play in Vancouver.
    • Elliotte is very confident that Gaudette will sign with the Canucks once the NCAA season is finished.
    • However he doesn't have a strong sense that Sikura is a lock to sign with the Blackhawks.

• Chris Tanev piece
    • http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-no-shortage-rick-nash-suitors-ahead-deadline/

It is extremely unlikely Vancouver would want to trade Chris Tanev. But should the Canucks think about it simply because he takes so much abuse and at some point it may affect his value?

Elliotte elaborates on Sportsnet 650 - Because of the injuries, he speculates that Canucks should look to move him.

• Doesn't believe Canucks want to trade him, but with being 1 year from being a UFA next season, and the reckless style of game that he plays, he thinks Canucks management should start to look at redeeming assets on Tanev.

• Stresses that the cap will start to become an issue with some of the young players will eventually need to sign/resign in the future, and whether having an often injured Tanev could eventually hinder them going forward especially if you are looking to resign him after his next contract is up.  

• Says that lots of teams will be interested because of how good he is possession wise, and ability to get the puck out of the zone, believes that Canucks should capitalize on this interest and get as much as they can get and start a fresh. 

Just now, riffraff said:

Hurt at the perfect time.:picard:

I mean he's expected back a week or so after the TDL IIRC. That's still a very useful window to a contender, particularly one that could likely shelter him a bit more.

Debatable how much it would hurt it but it's sure not going to help his trade value though.

He is our best Defensive Dman and tbh it would suck not having him. However, he is injury prone and his value only goes down from here. We aren't competitive and we would be best now selling him at a great price. If we can get a RHD  we would be best off, and we shouldn't sell him for less than a 1st rd pick.

I been wanting to trade Tanev for a while now.  He is a good dman no question but lets be honest, he is 28 and the most games he has played in a season were 70, he makes Salo look like an ironman.  He should be traded before his stock plummets more.  He is in his prime and should be dealt but it sucks he is now injured.  Seems to always be the case when we have a decent available asset at the deadline...

5 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

That's an awful trade

It wasn't actually a 'trade (proposal)' FWIW.

Those are the main pieces I'd want back. I don't really care what the periphery pieces are. We'd likely need to take some salary/a warm body back (Coburn?) as well.

The main parts I'd want back though are Foot and their late 1st. Which is a perfectly good start to a package IMO. YMMV.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Problem being that Tanev is likely out past the TDL. (Though someone could trade for him while injured).

I suppose there's always the draft and after free agency to move him (see who misses out on Carlson, Green etc).

TDL is Feb 26th and Tanev is out until the 23rd:

I really like Tanev, but he is one of the least elusive top-4 dmen I've ever seen. Him and Hjarmalsson are perfectly fine skaters, but they always seem to find ways to get demolished.

If you can't manage to play 80% of your team's game on a regular basis, you're really not as valuable as your skill level makes you appear. It is hard to point fingers at a guy like Tanev because he is such a warrior for his team, but part of the value in a player is their ability to remain healthy. Tanev can't do this, and the result is that this team is consistently needing to ask other players to fill roles that are beyond their ability. 

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

P.S.

I'll take Foote and TBL's likely 31st OA.

might be a couple more pieces to add to that  it I would be ok with that.  Foote would be a great addition to our prospect pool. 

gaudette will burn a year off his elc to play here, and he will impress just like boeser did.

13 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

TDL is Feb 26th and Tanev is out until the 23rd:

I really like Tanev, but he is one of the least elusive top-4 dmen I've ever seen. Him and Hjarmalsson are perfectly fine skaters, but they always seem to find ways to get demolished.

If you can't manage to play 80% of your team's game on a regular basis, you're really not as valuable as your skill level makes you appear. It is hard to point fingers at a guy like Tanev because he is such a warrior for his team, but part of the value in a player is their ability to remain healthy. Tanev can't do this, and the result is that this team is consistently needing to ask other players to fill roles that are beyond their ability. 

That rather limits what we can expect as far as return go, assuming all NHL GM's feel the same way. If we made it known that he was going to be available I'm sure we'd get something beyond a last of the round first and a meh prospect. 

Archived