The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ottawa trades Dion Phaneuf and Nate Thompson to LAK for Marian Gaborik and Nick Shore

Dombrova22

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

Pierre Dorion is into making other teams better.

the Sens saved 5.4 million so I suppose this is to make more room for an EK extension. Ottawa probably doesn't really care if Gaborik pans out or not, his buyout from this point forward isn't all that bad either: https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/marian-gaborik#results

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the Sens saved 5.4 million so I suppose this is to make more room for an EK extension. Ottawa probably doesn't really care if Gaborik pans out or not, his buyout from this point forward isn't all that bad either: https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/marian-gaborik#results

Annnnnnd Karlsson leaves.

I dont really get this trade tbh. I think otttawa could have moved Phaneuf for someone else doing less crappy with the retained salary. Phaneuf for 5 and change isn't that bad and you would think they could get something with value back at that point. Like at least LA should have thrown in a couple lower picks. Like a 3rd or some B prospect or something. Otherwise you would think they wouldn't retain any salary. They basically just got a cap dump back? Or did I miss something?

Phaneuf had a NMC with a LNTC, so there were a limited number of teams out there they could deal with. But they can turn around and flip Gaborik wherever they can if a deal presents itself.

Not to mention, because of the NMC, now LA is likely stuck protecting Dion in the Seattle expansion draft. Ottawa definitely didn't want to do THAT again.

I don’t get all the Phaneuf hate (aside from the fact he used to play for Toronto).

He is just not a #1 D, just like Edler isn’t.  It doesn’t mean they are crap.

He got signed to a huge contract, above what he was worth.  Should he have turned down the money?

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dion-phaneuf-check.gif?w=630&h=355

LOL.  Keep your head up Van Reimsdyk!  Duh.

Any Leaf should know that.

That may have been even funnier if JVR had not been there.  Phaneuf woulda flat out whiffed - and Marleau scarcely even changes direction. 

These never get old.

Image result for lupul hits kadri

some of the greatest hits in Laffs history.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Phaneuf is a better player than people make him out to be, this is a good trade for LA.

Phaneuf is ok - he's just a bit of a hockey Rodney D.

He'll proably help L.A. - who just upgraded on Folin and added some depth toughness for their bit to make the playoffs.

LA doesn't have a lot of choice - they need to make the best of it before what seems like an inevitable cycle to the bottom.

Phaneuf though - he's been traded for a couple steaming piles in a row.

Archived