The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers CEO Nicholson hopes team adds top defenceman

Rush17

38 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

But if we tank for a couple of years, all will be roses and cotton tails in a few short years? Like I said before, I will rather take our "not so top 5" draft picks in Bo and Boes any day then be like Edmonton,thanks. ::D

Agree, but that doesn’t mean that the Coilers won’t finally realize their potential at the same time. Hope as we may for the opposite, the Coilers have a real shot of success if they can get their act together. Shouldn’t be a tough position to sell to hockey fans, but here I am. :goat:

Just now, Rush17 said:

Any GM has to take some risk in deal making. I understand where your coming from but he's only like 19-20.  He still has a lot of time to piece it all together.  Tanev will become a declining asset starting in the final year of his contract. If a team gets him now they got 3-4 good strong years before we likely see any dip in his play. He is primed and ready if he can find the right team.

Ahh, so this kid is a bit of a dud, a powerforward to boot, but our OJ, a Dman, is decidedly not, even though they are both from the same draft and the proverbial slow-cooker positional-types that apparently take more time to grow into their games. It may not be your position, but I think this popular opinion would be hypocritical in this sense. Each deserve the benefit of time. 

I also read on here that that someone wouldn’t trade Tanev for Pool party. I would. 

40 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Ahh, so this kid is a bit of a dud, a powerforward to boot, but our OJ, a Dman, is decidedly not, even though they are both from the same draft and the proverbial slow-cooker positional-types that apparently take more time to grow into their games. It may not be your position, but I think this popular opinion would be hypocritical in this sense. Each deserve the benefit of time. 

I also read on here that that someone wouldn’t trade Tanev for Pool party. I would. 

Some have called him a dud. He is more of a stud to me. A bull. One arubly who had his best NHL game vs us to date.  He to me a more of a scorer down low then Virtanen. Virt gets most of his points on the fly it seems.  Pool party has a pretty high IQ.  He likely be as physical as Jake which is fine because their totally different players.

No one here can tell me we wouldn't be infinitely better with pool party, Gaudette, Pettersson, juolevi and who knows maybe mckewan next season take Tanev out and we should still be ok depending how we augment the d. Our goals for and scoring chances would be far higher for sure.  

We really need a left d moved. Myself I'd keep Hutton and Pouliot to camp. Let them Duke it out then. Pouliot can play RHD for now. Flip mdz and do w/e Jim will do with eg.

12 hours ago, Rush17 said:

The former Hockey Canada president said that although the Oilers have some “excellent pieces,” some players have underperformed. He then pointed to the fact Edmonton has the 30th-ranked power play and is dead last in penalty kill and save percentage.

“We get one or two of those [categories] up we’re way better,” Nicholson said before giving a vote of confidence to the team’s starting netminder. “I still really believe in Cam Talbot and he’ll be the first person to say he hasn’t had a good year.”

We get one or two of those up we're way better... 

Sure... I bet if the Canucks could put up 100 or 200 more goals we'd be way better too! Might as well get our save percentage up too... :lol:

Glad this guy didn't sign with Vancouver. There were quite a few rumours.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Agree, but that doesn’t mean that the Coilers won’t finally realize their potential at the same time. Hope as we may for the opposite, the Coilers have a real shot of success if they can get their act together. Shouldn’t be a tough position to sell to hockey fans, but here I am. :goat:

This is true although we haven't had to suck for 10 years or more and intentional "Tank" for a few years to get the core players to date. The only personnel I wished we had from Edmonton would be a good quality Dman like Nurse. However, we still have OJ who still may pan out to be something.

After all is said and done , I believe we are no worse for the ware and still have a chance to build a very good team in the next few years.

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Sure, you could also spin it this way, why not? Have at it. You paint the negatives quite well, but leave out the positives. If I’m being serious, that’s as dishonest of an assessment on the Oilers as I’ve seen, but coming from a fan on a Canucks forum, I take no issue with it. I like your Lindros idea.

It's the same assessment that my Edmonton cousins have, as they don't know how to fix their situation either.

The Coilers are absolutely loaded with movable, quality assets.

Great, and which ones would those be?  Maroon?  Letestu?  Sekera?

I haven’t done too much research but I think they’re best option is to trade RNH to a contender for a 1st round pick and a mid grade prospect, then flip that 1st along with Darnell nurse and one of Ethan bear or Caleb jones or Tyler benson to Arizona for OEL. If you can’t find a trading partner for RNH then maybe replace the 1st round pick with yamamoto. Oilers D after this trade:

OEL - Larsson

Klefbom - Sekera

Russel - Benning/Davidson/whomever

edit: for the record I wouldn’t do this but if ownership is putting on pressure for a top pairing D, this is a good route

Just read an article on Sportsnet, about Lucic. The article is saying that Lucic hasn't scored since mid-December and has been missing passes, behind the play, etc. And he'll turn 30 soon. Lucic is not a fast player and EDM seems to be realizing this now. He's still got 5 years left on his contract lol

I've been saying for a while now.... except for the dynasty teams of the 80's and the Cinderella run of 2006... the Oilers has been a joke of a franchise.  

As bad as the Canucks are... if they somehow got McDavid or Draisaitl, Vancouver would be seen as a lock for the post-season and potential contenders.  Only in Edmonton you can have both and still be bottom dwellers.  

On 2/13/2018 at 11:34 PM, Rush17 said:

Sportsnet Article: Link

Edmonton Oilers CEO Bob Nicholson is “really disappointed” and “shocked” at how the 2017-18 season has unfolded.

Heading into Tuesday’s action, the NHL basement-dwelling Arizona Coyotes were the only Western Conference team with fewer points than the Oilers. The team has lost four straight and with only 27 games remaining on the schedule the playoffs seem out of reach.

“The whole group has to take responsibility,” Nicholson said Tuesday during an appearance on Prime Time Sports. “It starts in the dressing room all the way up to me.

“I’m convinced that with some changes we’ll be a lot better next year, but we got a heck of a lot of work to do.”

With the NHL Trade Deadline less than two weeks away, Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli could be one of the busiest execs in hockey right up until 3 p.m. ET on Feb. 26. Management will need to make decisions on pending unrestricted free agents Patrick Maroon, Mark Letestu and Mike Cammalleri, but it might not stop there.

We will look to do something to try to improve our team, short and long term,” Nicholson said. “We’ve got some assets that we could trade here.”

Nicholson explained that he and team brass will use the remaining games to get a good evaluation on the players that could return for next season.

“If we could add another top defenceman that would be real good,” Nicholson added.

The former Hockey Canada president said that although the Oilers have some “excellent pieces,” some players have underperformed. He then pointed to the fact Edmonton has the 30th-ranked power play and is dead last in penalty kill and save percentage.

“We get one or two of those [categories] up we’re way better,” Nicholson said before giving a vote of confidence to the team’s starting netminder. “I still really believe in Cam Talbot and he’ll be the first person to say he hasn’t had a good year.”

I'd trade Tanev to them for Pool Party and Bear.

Archived