The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THIS IS THE DAY, Canucks get #7

TheGuardian_

Just now, oldnews said:

I don't think a deal involving Gagner  to Columbus is realistic.

I also wouldn't be shopping Granlund as opposed to Baertschi - imo Baertschi is more likely to become a difficult fit than Granlund.  If SB loses his top 6 LW spot to (ie to Leipsic and Pettersson) - then he becomes a more difficult fit than Granlund - who can play center or wing on any of the bottom 3 lines.

Asking Columbus to split assets to move Jenner though - not sure why they would -- they're really just needing to fill a couple bottom six spots and have players like Hannikainen and Sedlak .  They'll probably just to to UFA for a depth forward or two to replace Calvert/Letestu - that is if they don't bring those guys back,   I also think you might be over-stating Jenner's "sizable raise" on 2.9 million - imo part of what makes him attractive is/was the potential 'buy-low' aspect as a result of his role and production changing/decreasing - and suspect that could/will come into effect when it comes to him re-signing.

It's the contingency around re-signing Stastny that could make it interesting in Winnipeg - if they bring him back, their cap gets tighter - whether that would create a window of opportunity who knows, but any team in that situation can always use futures.

You don't think so? He had success there in the past under Torts as Vanek is now. I think they largely let him go because of $ and term but with only 2 years remaining and at 50% discount, I'd wonder if they wouldn't be happy to have him back in that same role? Are they going to be able to fill that role cheaper/with less term in free agency...?

I agree I'd prefer to move Baer vs Granlund, just spitballing on what they might want back for Jenner. Baer's 2 way play has certainly improved but he's no Jenner (or Granlund) and he can't play C (even in a pinch). But by all means, if they had interest in him instead...

Well yes, I was considering the 'buy-low' aspect of his role in relation to that raise. The two are connected along with his soon looming UFA status in a few years. 

Stastny would certainly make things tighter...I suppose we wait and see :lol:

On 4/20/2018 at 10:32 AM, Pete M said:

the Oiler example is more about bad management, then about player development.

Nail Yakupov, Devan Dubnyk (they messed him up so bad, he had to leave to realize he was good), Alex Plante, Riley Nash (see Dubby), Sam Gagner (and people complain about some others at 6th overall), Alexei Mikhnov....... you get the picture - they all say hi.     Even RHN, Taylor Hall and others never hit their stride in Edmonton - RNH could show Taylor Hall reinvention on another team.   Nurse took a step back this year.   They have ruined Reinhart.   

Maybe it's the water.

21 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nail Yakupov, Devan Dubnyk (they messed him up so bad, he had to leave to realize he was good), Alex Plante, Riley Nash (see Dubby), Sam Gagner (and people complain about some others at 6th overall), Alexei Mikhnov....... you get the picture - they all say hi.     Even RHN, Taylor Hall and others never hit their stride in Edmonton - RNH could show Taylor Hall reinvention on another team.   Nurse took a step back this year.   They have ruined Reinhart.   

Maybe it's the water.

One of their really big issues is the goaltending, at best it is so-so. They almost have to out score the opposition nightly.

Their defence isn't right up there either, trading for Larsson was a good idea if he was used as an offensive threat but the overall defence had him trying to be more of a defensive dman, not his strong suit. They have maybe 4 NHL dmen with a couple of young guys asked to play more minutes than they should and combined with mediocre goaltending, every error results in a bad result.

Goalies can be so good that they win the odd game here and there, for Edmonton they were losing more games through poor play than they won with superior play.

On 2018-04-23 at 8:39 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

5 more sleeps until the lottery. April 28.

3 more

On 2018-04-23 at 8:46 AM, Alflives said:

5 more sleeps until we WIN the draft lottery!!!!!

Jimmy is going to do it!!!!  :towel:

Sleeps!

Yayyy

On 4/23/2018 at 2:58 PM, steviewonder20 said:

What time (in BC) and what channel to see this? Yes, I tried Google.

Doesn't look like it's been released yet, but I'd expect @Rush17 to be roughly right (early evening/late afternoon our time).  If memory serves me correctly they held the lottery before a game started (4pm pacific) and it took them a ridiculously long time to actually announce  the results (maybe a start time of 3, but didn't get to it until just before 4?)

3 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Isn't the lottery on Saturday.....? I could be wrong

Lottery or lottery results reveal?

Reveal is on Saturday...the actual lottery took place in a small NY office boardroom shortly after the Rangers were eliminated from playoff contention...

I'm a callin' it right here, right now...with only a 6% chance at the #1 pick, the NY Rangers will pick first...the fix is in...

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

Reveal is on Saturday...the actual lottery took place in a small NY office boardroom shortly after the Rangers were eliminated from playoff contention...

I'm a callin' it right here, right now...with only a 6% chance at the #1 pick, the NY Rangers will pick first...the fix is in...

I never thought about this one... Makes some sense.. I was thinking Chicago or Detroit but NY is probably one of the favorites (ignoring the odds and relying on tinfoil) as well. 

On 4/20/2018 at 11:13 AM, Alflives said:

Why is our big Russian not here anymore?  One could certainly argue bad management, right?  It's frustrating to see a (potentially) very important piece on our blue-line leave because he and his very young and pregnant wife were not cared for properly.  

Garbage. The NHL isn't a babysitting service. He showed up in poor shape after a honeymoon summer and expected to have everything handed to him. Tanev was better defensively and Stecher was better offensively. Where did that leave Tryamkin? Well, needing to earn his ice time. Blaming management for his going home is just an easy cop out. He's a legend in his own mind. I see him as a guy that doesn't want to work for what he gets.

16 hours ago, ABNuck said:

The lottery is overseen by an accounting firm with a rep from each team in the lottery draw watching.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/behind-scenes-2017-nhl-draft-lottery-gary-bettman/

On 20/04/2018 at 7:13 PM, Alflives said:

Why is our big Russian not here anymore?  One could certainly argue bad management, right?  It's frustrating to see a (potentially) very important piece on our blue-line leave because he and his very young and pregnant wife were not cared for properly.  

Give it a rest.

We know exactly why he is not here and it has nothing to do with management. And even if it had been, does every low round, pick dump everything and flee just because he doesn't like the coach or the GM. FFS it's not like they were not playing him. 

The guy has an immaturity/character flaw/arrogance that is spottable from a mile away. It's only media dupes like you that constantly ignore the obvious in order to have something to whine about it seems.

Archived