The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THIS IS THE DAY, Canucks get #7

TheGuardian_

14 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Even the draft lottery simulators have been compromised by Gary B.  In order to dampen our expectations when we inevitably pick 5th. :ph34r:

At least Chicago is suffering like us.  Boston Bruins situation gets my blood boiling.  So, 7 years later from the infamous 2011 SCF, we look at both teams. One is a favorite to get back to the SCF, and the other one has been in the basement for 3 years and still most see another 2 or 3 years of misery ahead. So the Bruins have re-tooled themselves, in that time and re-emerged as a top team once again, and still with the same core of Bergeron, Marchand, Chara and Rask. Even though many SC winning teams go through a period where players suddenly demand bigger contracts which cannot be met (being a part of a SC winner) or have to let go their rentals. All of which make it hard to repeat. Meanwhile, the Canucks, the bridesmaids, in seven long years, have steadily, for the most part, been declining and declining.  A lot of it must be attributed to bad management, all things weighed, sorry if some don't want to hear that.

Vancouver could have has a similar history if MG didn't have a knee jerk reaction and send the team on a quick downward spiral.  Kesler, Luongo, Schneider, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Hansen and Burrows are either still going strong or with the Sedins ( Chara) and in their twilight.  It is what it is, Boston retooled around Bergeron, Rask, Chara and co, we dismantled a team that went to game seven and followed it up with another presidents trophy.  LA won a cup and missed the playoffs, and barely made them when they won their first cup....we gave up on that core three years too early...too bad too.

40 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Even the draft lottery simulators have been compromised by Gary B.  In order to dampen our expectations when we inevitably pick 5th. :ph34r:

At least Chicago is suffering like us.  Boston Bruins situation gets my blood boiling.  So, 7 years later from the infamous 2011 SCF, we look at both teams. One is a favorite to get back to the SCF, and the other one has been in the basement for 3 years and still most see another 2 or 3 years of misery ahead. So the Bruins have re-tooled themselves, in that time and re-emerged as a top team once again, and still with the same core of Bergeron, Marchand, Chara and Rask. Even though many SC winning teams go through a period where players suddenly demand bigger contracts which cannot be met (being a part of a SC winner) or have to let go their rentals. All of which make it hard to repeat. Meanwhile, the Canucks, the bridesmaids, in seven long years, have steadily, for the most part, been declining and declining.  A lot of it must be attributed to bad management, all things weighed, sorry if some don't want to hear that.

The fact we had zero bar Horvat of value coming through has a lot to do with it.

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

But as you indicated earlier, once you win, it's far easier to stomach those terrible contracts as a fan.  I'm sure Kingsfans can sort of look at the Brown AWFUL contract as a "retirement deal for past services rendered"....

I don't buy that for a minute... Won't be long before they will be up in arms over it, or just drop hockey.

You can rest a few seasons on your laurels, but the hurt of defeat far outweights the joy of winning.... 

And in sport fans have short memories.

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I think  JB has done exceedingly well with those picks though.

Thats why the repetitive “acquisition of picks” posts should not be construed as rigid, narrow-mindedness by the likes of you. 

All JB does exceedingly well, is draft in the later rounds. Why not load him up with picks? 

Its funny that some are unhappy with the amount of picks JB has.... After all, its JB himself, who decides, how many picks he has.

He obviously don't think, he'd be better off with more picks?

13 hours ago, kilgore said:

It didn't hurt them that Burke gifted them two very high 1st rounders for Kessel. lol

But unlike Gillis the B's have been drafting well, before and since that final, so already had some decent young players coming up. In 10/11 Marchand was playing his first full NHL season. Now he's an in his prime top of the league point producer drafted in the 3rd round. Meanwhile Gillis drafted this caliber of skill in the 1st round.....

fail.gif.7e1a221e8587871e58893b8dc368ff98.gif

28 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Yotes lost, Canucks won, still one point out of guaranteed #1, game against Chicago was the tale of two different plans, Chicago diving to re-tool, Canucks just playing. The two worst teams since February, still the two worst.

Buffalo still holds down the last spot. we are now 3 points away from that.

22 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Well, that was a heck of a lot better of a response than you’ve been patronizing the concept with in here. Nice work.

If JB can do one thing well, it’s drafting. Some of us want(ed) to load him up with picks and see if it becomes better than the Vey experience. I would think he would either do as well or better with drafting than he has done, otherwise.

I think he has proven Drafting to be his strength and wish he’d exploit it more, especially during a Tank. Restock with UFAs and repeat as necessary, IMO. The man can draft, let him do it often. If he goes into this draft with a bunch of extra picks, I will be thrilled. 

Well, let's do the devil's advocate thing here. Benning can draft, and there's a guy he likes at the Canucks' 4th round pick (we'll assume that the Sabres slide/slease into the 1st OA and the Canucks are 2nd OA in selecting). The sad part is, the Sabres like this guy too and they pick him with their 4th round pick. Bummer, right?

A few years go by, and the Sabres decide to move this prospect (for w/e reason, but he's healthy, he's got good hockey IQ can play and skate, has a good attitude etc and projects to be a 4th liner with perhaps a 3rd line ceiling, but might be able to go higher in the right situation) and the Canucks are interested in a getting him. They offer a 4th for this guy, and the Sabres accept the offer. 

Who wouldn't do this trade, and why?

regards,  G.

29 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, let's do the devil's advocate thing here. Benning can draft, and there's a guy he likes at the Canucks' 4th round pick (we'll assume that the Sabres slide/slease into the 1st OA and the Canucks are 2nd OA in selecting). The sad part is, the Sabres like this guy too and they pick him with their 4th round pick. Bummer, right?

A few years go by, and the Sabres decide to move this prospect (for w/e reason, but he's healthy, he's got good hockey IQ can play and skate, has a good attitude etc and projects to be a 4th liner with perhaps a 3rd line ceiling, but might be able to go higher in the right situation) and the Canucks are interested in a getting him. They offer a 4th for this guy, and the Sabres accept the offer. 

Who wouldn't do this trade, and why?

regards,  G.

Making those moves has paid off for JB as often as not.

I think Drafting is his strength, more than finding mediocre, small forwards, as he has been doing at a 0.500 clip, I will guesstimate. 

Flip it the other way.

If JB had 5 extra picks after the 2nd round, how many do you think would make it to the NHL? (It’s not as if he has been drafting smurfs either)

I think the argument about defending the need to fill purposeless age-gaps on the team with reclamation projects is over. Sure, Baer and Granny are doing ok for the Canucks, but those roles could have been filled by FAs from all over the map, IMO. The whole adventure has been a moot cause anyways.

The team has continued to get progressively worse despite a lack of picks, prospects, etc.

The supposed age gap was a moot point and spending the future on a few placeholders seemed like a poorly planned way to find support players, knowing that they can be bought through free agency. 

JBs Drafting seems to level off the odds against prospects turning pro. Maybe back then, he wasn’t trusted enough to use the draft as well as he has? I think that he could have collected a better prospect pool by keeping his picks and that filling the supposed age-gap did nothing to stop the Tank. The Baers of the world did not need to be here over FAs this whole time to fill any perceived gap that I can see. 

On 2018-03-22 at 1:29 PM, kilgore said:

The Canucks tried to retool... but didn’t have the balls for a full retool

you have to trade away players other teams actually want... and that you still see value in.

jb isn’t willing to do that.

what did Linden say?  How can I tell the sedins we are rebuilding?....  wtf?  

On 2018-03-22 at 10:16 AM, Vanuckles said:

Hoping we either take a Dman or Tkachuk. Hoping we do not select Zadina or Svechnikov with our pick. I don't see them bringing anything to the table that isn't already a part of one of our forward prospects game.

It would be awesome to pick Tkachuk if we miss out on Dahlen.

Well the loss didn't change how many points but it did change the standings, a little concerned that Detroit is now 4 points away from the Nucks and on a monumental losing streak.

Did two different simulators this morning and for a change the first spins got #2 and #1, that hasn't happened before.

20 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

The Canucks tried to retool... but didn’t have the balls for a full retool

you have to trade away players other teams actually want... and that you still see value in.

jb isn’t willing to do that.

what did Linden say?  How can I tell the sedins we are rebuilding?....  wtf?  

He said how do I tell them them we're tearing it down. As in tanking the team. The Sedins have said repeatedly since Linden took over they're fine with going through a rebuild. And they have been rebuilding. They've simply tried to remain competitive while doing it rather than intentionally making the team as bad as possible.

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

He said how do I tell them them we're tearing it down. As in tanking the team. The Sedins have said repeatedly since Linden took over they're fine with going through a rebuild. And they have been rebuilding. They've simply tried to remain competitive while doing it rather than intentionally making the team as bad as possible.

Well if the last few years is trying to be competitive they are incompetent.

you don’t intentionally try to make the team as bad as possible... especially with the lottery - there is no point.  What you do is have a plan for the team coming together at a certain year or time frame.  And you develop players over anything to do with the standings.

or you tell everyone the team will be competitive, and sign older players to ty to do that.  It just failed miserably.... 

19 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Well if the last few years is trying to be competitive they are incompetent.

Just continue to ignore the number and length of injuries to key players. Unlike a contender, we don't have the depth to overcome that many lengthy injuries.

22 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

I mean... do you honestly trust JB and Linden in free agency’s?  You know they will spend to the cap, and do so without a plan beyond the coming year.... or so it appears!!! I’d love to be wrong

Don't worry, you are. Just because they're not following your plan, intentionally tank the team, doesn't mean they haven't had a plan all along. Seems to me they've been consistent since they took over. Supplement the roster with veteran ufa's to give prospects time to develop and acquire partially developed prospects from contenders that don't have room for them.

Archived