The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Mikael Backlund for 6 years, 32.1 million

Adarsh Sant

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

EDIT: I misread. Maybe he does; I don't follow Calgary closely. I just assumed that since Horvat has those in droves that it would be unlikely for many players to have them at the same level.

He actually does. I live in Calgary and my company allows me to see many games and he is very under rated outside of Calgary. Like I said to old news he was one of their best players last year. 

I do think Bo will be the better player as he is a lot younger but any team would happily give that deal to Backlund.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Should be in the Selke conversations but for whatever reason Backlund doesn't get the respect or recognition he deserves.

Great two way player.

(He and Frolik make Tkachuk look better than he actually is).

I agree with the first part, he is very underrate but that doesn't take away how good Tkachuk is,  Even when you take him off that line he still shines, 

Great signing for the Flames.  I watch all the Flames games.  He is a very underrated player.  

Not in Calgary...they know they got a great deal.  Their forums are mostly very excited about this extension.  

Calgary is going to be in great shape capwise over the next few years.  

6 hours ago, Violator said:

I think hes topped out points wise 5 million for a 2/3 line center is kind of expensive.fllames still dont have a true number on centre

:huh:

They currently have a 23 year old who’s second in team scoring with 52 points in 57 games.

If they don’t have a number one center, then the Canucks are in desperate need of a number one and number two center.

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Interesting. At first I thought it was too much, but I suppose maybe it's just on the high end of acceptable. He's got about Bo's level of skill but doesn't have the intangibles. Then, he is signed for a bit less than Bo, but Bo is younger and doesn't have any trade clauses. Maybe it's unfair to compare it to Horvat's contract since his was such a steal.

He's extremely underrated. I thought it was high at first glance but it's completely in line. Good player, good contract. 

1 hour ago, Monty said:

:huh:

They currently have a 23 year old who’s second in team scoring with 52 points in 57 games.

If they don’t have a number one center, then the Canucks are in desperate need of a number one and number two center.

2014 called, they want to know what took you so long.

9 hours ago, guntrix said:

5.35 is AAV amazing for Backlund. Not only is he a great two-way player but his production is steadily rising to boot. 

If/when the cap continues to go up, this could be a steal of a contract for the flames. Good for them.

I think he is their most complete player, plays well in all zone and he gets most of their tough d zone assignments.  Tkachuk is a very good player but it doesnt hurt that he has been paired up with a Selke calibre centre.  Its a very good contract for them.  I dont know what their numbers will look like when Tkachuk needs to be signed...

He also offers some  Canucks fans a lesson in patience (*cough*).  He did not break 40 points until about his 8th or 9th year post draft.  To be fair there were some shortened seasons in there and it looks like he took some injuries but I remember plenty of times reading Flames forums in years past where they basically thought the guy was a run of the mill middle 6 player that was expendable.

11 hours ago, Violator said:

I think hes topped out points wise 5 million for a 2/3 line center is kind of expensive.fllames still dont have a true number on centre

Monahan is at worst an average top line centre. Leads his draft class in goals by a wide margin & scoring.

Most teams would be thrilled to have a top line player tracking to 75 points. 

No sense loathing that he's not Crosby. Most are not?

Archived