The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans direct racist taunts at Devante Smith-Pelly

Toews

What a bunch of degenerates. You know they wouldn't have the balls to do this if they were face to face with DSP. 

Earlier in the year JT Brown got death threats for a peaceful protest. Trotz said it well, no place for this kind of behaviour. 

4 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

Are you referring to their parents on the night they were conceived?

Look I'm not going to say they're bad people; but they did something stupid.

I don't think their names should be disclosed and have their lives destroyed by SJW keyboard warriors like others are suggesting, but they definitely should feel stupid.

Just now, on the cycle said:

I don't think their names should be disclosed and has their lives destroyed by SJW keyboard warriors like others are suggesting, but they definitely should feel stupid.

I sincerely doubt they feel stupid, those type of people never do.  I'm betting they feel hard done by security and think they've done nothing wrong.

2 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

I sincerely doubt they feel stupid, those type of people never do.  I'm betting they feel hard done by security and think they've done nothing wrong.

It's my belief that when you go out you should act in a mannerly order. I do think that people should stop being indecent, which also includes the people online overreacting to these incidents.

3 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

It's my belief that when you go out you should act in a mannerly order. I do think that people should stop being indecent, which also includes the people online overreacting to these incidents.

Racism goes well beyond the scope of mere public impropriety and decency.  If society does not respond with outrage to racism, then the message is that racism is acceptable to society.

23 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

ok......kinda of a weird thing to say as a taunt. Not sure it's super racist, more so dumb. 

There is no such thing as "super racist". Either something is racist or it is not. Shouting "basketball" at a black hockey player is just a way of saying 'hockey is not a sport for minorities'. 

20 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

Still think the PK Boston situation was worse because they were calling him an N word.

Maybe so but I am not sure why you are trying to minimize what happened here. It was "dumb" what these people did but it was also blatantly racist. 

16 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

I don't think their names should be disclosed and have their lives destroyed by SJW keyboard warriors like others are suggesting, but they definitely should feel stupid.

The vast majority of people don't feel the need to racially taunt players. So yes these are indeed "bad people" and they need to do a heck of a lot of self-reflection if they ever want to be decent human beings.

I agree that online mobs aren't the right means of addressing such matters but I think such individuals should be banned from all NHL games until they apologize to the player and show remorse for their actions. Of course this would be very difficult to enforce but at the very least these people should be banned from the arena where this incident occurred. 

7 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

Racism goes well beyond the scope of mere public impropriety and decency.  If society does not respond with outrage to racism, then the message is that racism is acceptable to society.

I totally disagree, most people aren't actually racist and I don't think destroying peoples lives over dumb remarks is correct.  Trust me most people will say racism is unacceptable.

Archived