The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans direct racist taunts at Devante Smith-Pelly

Toews

On 2/18/2018 at 8:12 PM, canuck2288 said:

Busted 

Just as I thought. You can’t and won’t answer a straightforward question....,wonder why 

you my friend are a racist

oh and if you would ever like to “meet” in person feel free to pm me. I will gladly meet you any place and any time to finish this discussion in person 

On 2/18/2018 at 8:43 PM, canuck2288 said:

One day you may come to accept you are a racist and try to actually deal with your bias 

Education is the key to opening your small mind. You should try to gain some higher level education? High school level may be a good start 

On 2/18/2018 at 8:49 PM, canuck2288 said:

Yes you may go back and put your white hood on and do your rounds 

After having read through this thread your comments really stand out, and maybe not in the best way. I do applaud and support what you're trying to do in terms of raise awareness and combat intolerance, but I really do think you're going about it in completely the wrong way. Nowhere in @riffraff's posts did he/she state anything to warrant this kind of response, and you come off as looking quite foolish, to be honest.

Taking a stand on racism is one thing, but when you come across as hyper-vigilant and take the attitude that anyone not seeing things 100% your way must be "super racist" you marginalize and actually hurt your cause rather than help it.

It seems like you were having a bad day on Sunday...

To the thread, I'm glad the "fans" that made the insults have been dealt with.

5 hours ago, smokes said:

Future generations need thicker skin sometimes. No matter how PC we want to make people, it will still not get rid of the hate. Racism will never go away. Why do you think when people go to jail, they naturally gravitate to their own colour. Me personally, I am all for equality but right now this has skewed in a way where anything a caucasian person says that offends is racist even when the comment itself is not, but yet anything a colored person says is ok and not called out. That to me also isn't right.

So you think clearly insinuating that black people shouldn't play hockey at the NHL level (if at all) isn't racist or offensive? 

Edit: sometimes, it's not just about being 'thick-skinned' or not; it's about the principle of the thing.

30 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

So you think clearly insinuating that black people shouldn't play hockey at the NHL level (if at all) isn't racist or offensive? 

Edit: sometimes, it's not just about being 'thick-skinned' or not; it's about the principle of the thing.

What? So if the fan said go play golf would be better? Tiger Woods plays golf. What? Only black people play basketball? What about Jeremy Lin? What about Kevin Love? Maybe he sucks at hockey so bad he should try a different sport. 

6 hours ago, smokes said:

Future generations need thicker skin sometimes. No matter how PC we want to make people, it will still not get rid of the hate. Racism will never go away.

We are making progress against racism, so yes it can be eradicated. Your defeatist attitude is part of the problem, people like MLK and Rosa Parks fought for what they believed in and it resulted in meaningful change. They passed on the torch to future generations. Progress is incremental, we may not see racism eradicated in our lifetime but that doesn't mean there is not hope for future generations

Why do you think when people go to jail, they naturally gravitate to their own colour.

Yeah, lets judge the state of racism by putting the dregs of society in a cage and seeing how they divide themselves. :rolleyes:

Me personally, I am all for equality but right now this has skewed in a way where anything a caucasian person says that offends is racist even when the comment itself is not, but yet anything a colored person says is ok and not called out. That to me also isn't right.

In this case the comment was racist, literally everyone with half a brain can see it is racist.

14 minutes ago, Toews said:

We are making progress against racism, so yes it can be eradicated. Your defeatist attitude is part of the problem, people like MLK and Rosa Parks fought for what they believed in and it resulted in meaningful change. They passed on the torch to future generations. Progress is incremental, we may not see racism eradicated in our lifetime but that doesn't mean there is not hope for future generations

There is no progress made. The only progress there is is making white people feel like they need to apologize for things that people have done and said in the past. You think colored people are not racist? They can be the most racist people out there and that is not being changed. You want to eradicate racism, it needs to come from all colors. The only color I am seeing in this fight is black and white. No one is talking about fighting for any other color out there.

17 minutes ago, Toews said:

Yeah, lets judge the state of racism by putting the dregs of society in a cage and seeing how they divide themselves. :rolleyes:

You can see things like this happening in workplaces not only jails. Jails is just the most prominent.

19 minutes ago, Toews said:

In this case the comment was racist, literally everyone with half a brain can see it is racist.

Again, thicker skin is needed. I've heard worse in just walking down streets.

35 minutes ago, smokes said:

What? So if the fan said go play golf would be better? Tiger Woods plays golf. What? Only black people play basketball? What about Jeremy Lin? What about Kevin Love? Maybe he sucks at hockey so bad he should try a different sport. 

I think you're deliberately ignoring context to defend your point of view:

1) If a fan yelled "golf" at him in the context of hockey, the insinuation would be that they're missing the playoffs.  (Also worth noting that when Tiger Woods started his career, there were (and still are) many golf fans who think black people do not belong in the sport.)

2) There are only a handful of black NHL players, not just in the league today, but throughout history--and all of them have endured racist taunts that insinuate that hockey is for white people only; and it's been done so in a very public manner. 

3) If the teams, the league, and society-at-large did NOT respond to that, then the message is to society-at-large is that people condone the notion that blacks should not play hockey and that there are limits to what blacks (and other minorities) should be allowed to do, regardless of their ability.

So is that what you believe?  That minorities, blacks in particular, should not play hockey?  That hockey, along with other things, should be for "whites only"?  By condoning this kind of thing, that's what you're saying

39 minutes ago, smokes said:

The issue is whether this is racist or not and it is. You hearing something worse does not make this any less racist. This isn't a competition.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

so DSP should have just accepted the racial slur? and 30 teams, of which most teams now have  visable minoritie's should let it happen? with all the crap going on in the state's right now ,with all the shooting's 'your a trump supporter your not a trump supporter' IT'S literally a country divided  , those 2 clowns are very lucky there was a glass partition separating everybody , BUT  DSP isn't a known  idiot on the ice , and in no way shape or form was this  justifiable !!!  now if it were George Laraque , He might have gone all mike milbury on the 2 clowns  or  worse some other fan comes in and now somebody is going to get hurt . i've read some pretty rediculous  things on these boards and this one is right at the top    great idea!

On 2/18/2018 at 9:56 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

i blame trump for this.  racism has gone up in the states since that clown took office.

I know what you are saying - but would clarify that in my view, the amount of racism in the US (or the world for that matter) hasn't actually changed at all - it's always been there in the background, hiding and waiting to raise its ugly head when the time was right.   Now the racists have been emboldened to show their true colors because their supreme leader is a racist himself.  Having a racist (and sexist) as the leader of the 'free world' sadly legitimizes racism and allows it to become mainstream.    But you are correct, incidents of racism as covered by the mainstream media have gone up unfortunately. 

12 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

The reason for nipping racism in the bud is so that future generations don't have to grow numb to it.

Impossible with the current level of world education and ignorance.  Maybe in 10000 years......maybe.   Humans love to hate it is our nature to fear difference I doubt it will ever change.

12 hours ago, smokes said:

Future generations need thicker skin sometimes.  Racism will never go away.

Yeah,  what was the point of opposing slavery,  or apartheid, or denying women/minorities the right to vote - those things are never going to go away,  right?   

You go ahead and do nothing while your thick skin protects you.   

Guys like DSP got this.......

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

Yeah,  what was the point of opposing slavery,  or apartheid, or denying women/minorities the right to vote - those things are never going to go away,  right?   

You go ahead and do nothing while your thick skin protects you.   

Guys like DSP got this.......

I don't know about 'thick skin'   maybe thick skull.......

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

I don't know about 'thick skin'   maybe thick skull.......

See here's the thing. So these three buddies go out for a night at a hockey game. The game is OK, they are drinking back a few beers. They see DSP in the penalty box and they want to taunt him. They not that smart right so they say the first stupid thing in their head. "Basketball." They did not use derogatory remarks, they did not say anything flat out against his colour. I've been in Canucks games where fans have yelled out worse. Fans say stupid things in hockey games. Things get said in the heat of the moment. Does those comments make them sound like racist people? We don't know who they are and yet they are judged off one word. DSP should have told them off while at the penalty box and kept it on the ice. It's making a mountain over a molehill.

4 hours ago, smokes said:

See here's the thing. So these three buddies go out for a night at a hockey game. The game is OK, they are drinking back a few beers. They see DSP in the penalty box and they want to taunt him. They not that smart right so they say the first stupid thing in their head. "Basketball." They did not use derogatory remarks, they did not say anything . I've been in Canucks games where fans have yelled out worse. Fans say stupid things in hockey games. Things get said in the heat of thflat out against his coloure moment. Does those comments make them sound like racist people? We don't know who they are and yet they are judged off one word. DSP should have told them off while at the penalty box and kept it on the ice. It's making a mountain over a molehill.

here's another thing, YOU may think it's harmless ,in fact you are the only one that thinks that, this incident had  racial over tones.  ;Racial overtones are general media implications of racism without outright saying something overtly racist         ,there  was an implication In the way they used the word 'basketball' it would imply that afro American athletes should be playing basket ball ,not hockey, since the one word had an implication attached    IT WAS DEROGATORY  : detracting from the character or standing of something.  Had DSP done something really dirty or injured someone it might have blown over , hard to say. but he's not that kind of player . No player from any minority should have to be exposed to that , on full display to everyone in the opposition's building,add the TV audience . had these clowns been sitting further back ,maybe nothing would have happened , but they were sitting pretty close to be that stupid .  not good optics ,not good for any one , or the game        

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

here's another thing, YOU may think it's harmless ,in fact you are the only one that thinks that, this incident had  racial over tones.  ;Racial overtones are general media implications of racism without outright saying something overtly racist         ,there  was an implication In the way they used the word 'basketball' it would imply that afro American athletes should be playing basket ball ,not hockey, since the one word had an implication attached    IT WAS DEROGATORY  : detracting from the character or standing of something.  Had DSP done something really dirty or injured someone it might have blown over , hard to say. but he's not that kind of player . No player from any minority should have to be exposed to that , on full display to everyone in the opposition's building,add the TV audience . had these clowns been sitting further back ,maybe nothing would have happened , but they were sitting pretty close to be that stupid .  not good optics ,not good for any one , or the game        

I'm aware of that but instead of freaking out about it, it's easier to just laugh at ignorance.

Archived