The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans direct racist taunts at Devante Smith-Pelly

Toews

• 3 months later...

2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS

DEVANTE SMITH-PELLY AND MADISON BOWEY ARE THE 8TH AND 9TH BLACK HOCKEY PLAYERS IN NHL HISTORY TO WIN THE STANLEY CUP.

9 BLACK HOCKEY PLAYERS WHO HAVE WON THE STANLEY CUP:

01. 1984: Grant Fuhr (Edmonton Oilers)

02. 1985: Grant Fuhr (Edmonton Oilers)

03. 1987: Grant Fuhr (Edmonton Oilers)

04. 1988: Grant Fuhr (Edmonton Oilers)

05. 1990: Grant Fuhr (Edmonton Oilers)

06. 1990: Eldon Reddick (Edmonton Oilers)

07. 2010: Dustin Byfuglien (Chicago Blackhawks)

08. 2013: Ray Emery (Chicago Blackhawks)

09. 2013: Jamal Mayers (Chicago Blackhawks)

10. 2013: Johnny Oduya (Chicago Blackhawks)

11. 2015: Johnny Oduya (Chicago Blackhawks)

12. 2016: Trevor Daley (Pittsburgh Penguins)

13. 2017: Trevor Daley (Pittsburgh Penguins)

14. 2018: Devante Smith-Pelly (Washington Capitals)

15. 2018: Madison Bowey (Washington Capitals)

On 2018-02-17 at 11:09 PM, on the cycle said:

Again....how am I racist? Didn't say a single racist thing. What you are saying is moronic.

I was going to read the entire thread but I couldn’t handle reading another one of your posts. Defending racists is the same as being racist. You’re an idiot and you should speak less. 

On 2/17/2018 at 10:52 PM, on the cycle said:

I'm against political correctness. I am for people being conscientious and respectable.

I am 100% appalled by the actions these fans took, and am 100% against racism, but I too am against the intolerable PC culture that has developed over the past 5 years.

There should be no laws dictating what we can say, there should be freedom of thought and speech. Whether or not society tolerates them, or allows them in their establishments is also free speech and choice. You cannot hate on the above quoted person for standing against PC culture. 

On 2/17/2018 at 10:34 PM, Toews said:

There is no such thing as "super racist". Either something is racist or it is not. Shouting "basketball" at a black hockey player is just a way of saying 'hockey is not a sport for minorities'. 

No tolerance for such crap but wonder if there would be similar outrage if someone had yelled "hockey" at Steve Nash when he was playing?   Sometimes the outrage makes it worse - the idiot knuckle draggers like the attention.   Ignoring their crap is best way to fight it.   Further, while there are no real "degrees" of racism, I doubt S-P was devastated by it and probably was able to shake his internal head and chalk it up to another ignorant person versus wanting a media circus around it.

Anyway, I hope the "basketball" chanters watched the SCF where S-P was one of the more critical pieces for the Caps....he had an outstanding playoff and most certainly is a "hockey" player.  :)

3 hours ago, Rosalie73 said:

Devante Smith-Pelly and the Washington Capitals got their revenge in the best kind of way.

I wonder where are those same fans that ripped on him earlier this season. Shame on them.

Devante definitely got the last laugh here.

On 2/20/2018 at 10:15 AM, Toews said:

We are making progress against racism, so yes it can be eradicated. Your defeatist attitude is part of the problem, people like MLK and Rosa Parks fought for what they believed in and it resulted in meaningful change. They passed on the torch to future generations. Progress is incremental, we may not see racism eradicated in our lifetime but that doesn't mean there is not hope for future generations

Yeah, lets judge the state of racism by putting the dregs of society in a cage and seeing how they divide themselves. :rolleyes:

In this case the comment was racist, literally everyone with half a brain can see it is racist.

what do people with half a brain see in your stereotypical reference to inmates (in the real world, a diverse class of people imprisoned for a highly diverse range of reasons and crimes) - as the "dregs of society"?

11 hours ago, Honeydew said:

I wonder where are those same fans that ripped on him earlier this season. Shame on them.

Devante definitely got the last laugh here.

"Hey, guess who has a Stanley Cup ring now! From now on, you call me Mr. Devante Smith-Pelly."

Archived