The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fans direct racist taunts at Devante Smith-Pelly

Toews

NHL statement:

NEW YORK - "Last night in Chicago, individuals directed racial taunts and abuse at Washington Capitals player Devante Smith-Pelly," said NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. "The National Hockey League condemns this unacceptable and reprehensible behavior. The League fully supports the actions taken by the United Center and the Blackhawks to eject the offenders and would expect the same response to any similarly unacceptable behavior at any of our arenas.

"While this incident was isolated in nature, no player, coach, official or fan should ever have to endure such abuse at one of our games. The League will take steps to have our clubs remind all stakeholders that they are entitled to enjoy a positive environment - free from unacceptable, inappropriate, disruptive, inconsiderate or unruly behaviors or actions and may not engage in conduct deemed detrimental to that experience."

15 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

This is the same org that still uses a likeness of a native person as their logo. I'm not  surprised. 

It's widely accepted, unlike for other teams, because it's an homage. 

From the NHL website: The Chicago Blackhawks team logo was created by Irene Castle, wife of team founder and coffee tycoon Major Frederic McLaughlin, in 1926 at the team’s inception into the NHL. McLaughlin chose the ‘Blackhawks’ nickname in recognition of his time as commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I. His Division was nicknamed “Blackhawk Division” after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Chief Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois. Throughout the franchise’s history, the logo has undergone minor changes but still closely resembles its original presentation.

3 hours ago, mll said:

It's widely accepted, unlike for other teams, because it's an homage. 

It's widely accepted by some, but there have still been many calls to change the logo. Some feel that the very premise of using the likeness of a native person is offensive. The same is true of the Seminoles in Florida, in spite of the fact representatives from the tribe were consulted when the mascot was designed/implemented. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/ct-spt-blackhawks-racists-ejected-names-rosenbloom-20180219-story,amp.html

for anyone that feels the incident was simply “stereotyping” and not really all that serious I suggest they read the article above 

this is how it’s being viewed in the local Chicago media. 

props to the Chicago Tribune for calling it like it is ....pure racism 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/ct-spt-blackhawks-racism-haugh-20180218-story,amp.html

I hope these guys get outed and are banned. I hope they lose their jobs.  

They sat their in their expensive seats putting down another human and now let’s let them suffer the consequences of their racist actions

the beauty of the digital age is they they will be identified 

13 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Busted 

Just as I thought. You can’t and won’t answer a straightforward question....,wonder why 

you my friend are a racist

oh and if you would ever like to “meet” in person feel free to pm me. I will gladly meet you any place and any time to finish this discussion in person 

I too share the dislike , disdain  for the unfortunate incident . there is NO place for this kind of thing in any sport.  no matter how strongly you oppose something ,of which you have every right to do so ,but YOU continually go after  one of the more respected poster's here on CDC who HAS vehemently denied being, having a racist/biased view point.  like there being NO place for racism in 'the game'   there's NO place for derogatory , hypocritical , THREATINING  response's  on CDC like the example above  and your reading something else into rif's and other poster comment's. this thread is not about YOU. its about the incident at a hockey game , further to that its about racism ,But your taking it some where it doesn't need to go ,  the original CHICAGO taunt  incident doesn't need more taunt's and does  SPEAK FOR ITSELF. 

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

I too share the dislike , disdain  for the unfortunate incident . there is NO place for this kind of thing in any sport.  no matter how strongly you oppose something ,of which you have every right to do so ,but YOU continually go after  one of the more respected poster's here on CDC who HAS vehemently denied being, having a racist/biased view point.  like there being NO place for racism in 'the game'   there's NO place for derogatory , hypocritical , THREATINING  response's  on CDC like the example above  and your reading something else into rif's and other poster comment's. this thread is not about YOU. its about the incident at a hockey game , further to that its about racism ,But your taking it some where it doesn't need to go ,  the original CHICAGO taunt  incident doesn't need more taunt's and does  SPEAK FOR ITSELF. 

Fair comments 

What I take exception to is people that instead of simply calling this situation for what it was .... a racist act go on the start a statement with “but” or “people have become so politically correct” or “it was wrong however it was only stereotyping” or “they were drunk” or to transfer attention off what actually happened to other “what if” scenarios 

trump is a pro at doing that very thing and I read it several posts in this topic 

On 17/02/2018 at 9:47 PM, Tystick said:

I find racist behavior like this is directly correlated with IQ.

The more intelligent you are, the less likely you are doing dumb crap like this.

People should travel more. Broadens your mindset.

51 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

What I take exception to is people that instead of simply calling this situation for what it was .... a racist act go on the start a statement with “but” or “people have become so politically correct” or “it was wrong however it was only stereotyping” or “they were drunk” or to transfer attention off what actually happened to other “what if” scenarios 

trump is a pro at doing that very thing and I read it several posts in this topic 

I see an unfortunate connection (similarity) between the reaction some have about the comments from the Hawk's fans, and the ignorance of those fans.  Those fans are singling out a black player in an angry/violent way.  Then we have those in society who react to the fans (who are clearly in the wrong) in an angry/violent way.  Maybe I'm reading too much into this one incident, but I see violent acts as the response to violent words?    

16 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Busted 

Just as I thought. You can’t and won’t answer a straightforward question....,wonder why 

you my friend are a racist

oh and if you would ever like to “meet” in person feel free to pm me. I will gladly meet you any place and any time to finish this discussion in person 

You're a joke, going into hyper liberal social justice warrior mode with little to no actual reason or basis for doing so.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I see an unfortunate connection (similarity) between the reaction some have about the comments from the Hawk's fans, and the ignorance of those fans.  Those fans are singling out a black player in an angry/violent way.  Then we have those in society who react to the fans (who are clearly in the wrong) in an angry/violent way.  Maybe I'm reading too much into this one incident, but I see violent acts as the response to violent words?    

Understand but I think people are at a breaking point now and having Trump stir the pot makes people that much more on edge 

with the deeper use of social media more things are public now as well and words and opinions spread quickly 

we are all in this together and frankly it’s a lot easier to get along than it is to divide and fight 

Gotta love how people that stand up to racism are painted as “liberal” 

this is code for “I am a racist but afraid to admit it so I will call you liberal instead” 

news flash and self respecting human will stand up to racism whether that citizen has left or right views 

14 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Gotta love how people that stand up to racism are painted as “liberal” 

Generalization. Par for the course.

14 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

this is code for “I am a racist but afraid to admit it so I will call you liberal instead” 

Code in what language? Your paranoid delusional language? Most people have the maturity to listen to what others say before jumping to infantile and completely erroneous conclusions on their character and personality. Then there's you.

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Good on the team for finally doing the right thing.  Pity it took them this long to make that decision.

I don't think that they dragged their heels on this at all. In order to contact the two (?)morons, they would have had to determine if they had seasons tickets or not.

They may have had to call the police to get identification and go through privacy law vetting, and consulting the team's legal counsel to determine what actions they could implement immediately.

Archived