The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

I don't know if this was already brought up, but I had to laugh, seeing Sportsnet's headline on its article about this game. It reads, "Fortunate Canucks take advantage of road-weary rival Bruins."

It sure is great that Sportsnet has Vancouver's back. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/fortunate-canucks-take-advantage-road-weary-rival-bruins/

7 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I don't know if this was already brought up, but I had to laugh, seeing Sportsnet's headline on its article about this game. It reads, "Fortunate Canucks take advantage of road-weary rival Bruins."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/fortunate-canucks-take-advantage-road-weary-rival-bruins/

Saw that.  I don't have a problem with commenting on a few fortunate bounces but come on...Boston had 3 days off before this game, came in on Friday and practised Saturday morning. The nucks were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights and had to travel Thursday.  If anything, the nucks should have been the weary team.

Local media not pumping up the team when they play well and embarrass one of the best teams in the league is disgraceful.  I'd like to see benning or Linden call out Mac over this one.

4 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

If you look around the league at Norris trophy candidate defensemen they come from one place only and that's the draft. Rarely do they come up in free agency or trades. the reason for that is the team that drafts them need a Norris trophy candidate as well. You draft D men first until you have your top 4 and then look for forwards. You can always sign those in Free agency or trade or draft at a later date. This years draft has a bumper crop of bigger D and we should focus on those in the 2018 draft. Stecher is coming along but he is not  a Norris trophy candidate and probably wont get there although a good Number 5. Offensive sniper types will come along again and we have a couple that are looking like they could be the next wave.Gaudette and Boeser. now we need to protect our net from being bombarded. As good a game as the Boston game was there were way too many grade A chances Nilsson had to stop. and they missed a couple empty nets as well as a few posts. Our defense is our greatest lack right now. Demko would be shredded as well.

Well the Norris winners over the last 15 -20 years are a real mixed bag from what I can tell. You've got Doughty, Macinnis, and Neidermayer in the top 5 then a whole bunch of mid to late first rounders then the Lidstrom/Subban types that were gems in the later rounds. Sure, lots of nominees aren't on the list that were also all really high picks but the list of Hart trophy guys is stacked with first overalls and top 3's. Not a lot of dark horses winning the scoring titles. That looks to  change as the Russians are coming.

Point is I'll take a bonafide number one Dman that can run the power play over high scoring winger any day of the week. But these players are often later picks that develop well. Top end goal scorers usually (I know, pretty big generalization here) usually aren't. I guess I'm still hoping OJ is the deal. I'm sensitive when it comes to my opinion on those 2 high picks (you know who I'm talking about).

48 minutes ago, Slegr said:

does it matter we won.   

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

Another reason Iain McIntyre is an oxygen thief. What a tool. 

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Another reason Iain McIntyre is an oxygen thief. What a tool. 

Meh, it is just a headline, nothing "bad' in the article. If web pages are like newspapers the reporters don't write them.

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

That aside the Edler - Gudbranson pairing really stood out for me. Not only were they making hits but I saw Bruins fore checkers actually turning away from potential puck battles. That pairing is physically intimidating. It makes me want a TAnev deal even worse.  

Edler seems like a stabilizing D (for whoever his partner is at the time) for much of this season.

7 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Nah lucic is bad on that. Eriksson now has more goals this season than lucic despite playing fewer games and not getting set up by McDavid. Lucic is so slow and defensively is miserable. He has a lot of hits which is nice, but both biega and del zotto hit more than him so take it for what it’s worth. Plus he has one extra year on his contract compared to eriksson and oilers are far more cap strapped than the Canucks. No idea why Edmonton fans like him but 21 games with no goals and 10 games with no points doesn’t spell “6 million dollar power forward” to me. 

also larsson missed like, 8 games? Doesn’t explain a whole season down the drain. 

Lucic was a disastrous signing for the Coilers... along with the fact Kassian has gone back into the toilet. 

Drake Caggiula has also come back to earth after last season.

And their defense has been exposed.

The Oilers are the worst managed team in the NHL... maybe in NHL history.  The number of #1 draft choices they have had and yet they are still at the bottom?

How could they think getting rid of Eberle and Hall and replacing them with Lucic and Maroon was a good idea?

Hall has 24 goals and 62 points,  Eberle has 20 goals and 43 points.

Oilers should have put their money into young defensemen instead of a big slow expensive slug like Lucic.

Their management thought they could win the Cup in two years... just stupid overconfidence.  Now they may never win one... when with some decent management and McJesus, they should easily accomplish that goal.

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Lucic was a disastrous signing for the Coilers... along with the fact Kassian has gone back into the toilet. 

Drake Caggiula has also come back to earth after last season.

And their defense has been exposed.

The Oilers are the worst managed team in the NHL... maybe in NHL history.  The number of #1 draft choices they have had and yet they are still at the bottom?

How could they think getting rid of Eberle and Hall and replacing them with Lucic and Maroon was a good idea?

Hall has 24 goals and 62 points,  Eberle has 20 goals and 43 points.

Oilers should have put their money into young defensemen instead of a big slow expensive slug like Lucic.

Their management thought they could win the Cup in two years... just stupid overconfidence.  Now they may never win one... when with some decent management and McJesus, they should easily accomplish that goal.

It is fun to watch the Coil flush down the drain though, isn’t it?  

Probably the worst deal the Coilers have pulled off is trading Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome... Eberle is the type of player who can be a game-breaker... he is an elite forward, capable of changing the dynamics of a game.  What has Strome done???  :blink:

But the trade where Taylor Hall went to New Jersey is close behind.  Hall is a genuine star in the league.  Having both him and McJesus on the same team guaranteed the Oilers would be an offensive powerhouse for 5-10 years.  Yeah, Larsson is a good player, but he is not the same caliber as Hall.

Keeping Nugent Hopkins instead of Hall or Eberle was a mistake.  Hall is clearly much better... all three were making $6 million last year.

From my perspective the Oilers should have done the following:

Accept the team would take 4 years to become a Cup Contender

- Keep Hall and McJesus as the foundation of the team.  Sign Hall to a multi year deal for $6.5 - $7 million a season... they could have done that the last year Hall was on the team... Hall wanted a Cup he understood McJesus was the way to get there.  Put a low rent supporting cast around them.

- Trade one or both of Eberle or Nugent Hopkins for multiple bluechip defensive prospects.... but don't try to get a premium blueliner like Larsson that will be a big cap hit.  Both Eberle and Nuge were making $6 million... big cap savings.

- Stockpile the draft choices

- No big money free agent signings

- Wait for the defense to develop and mature...  keep the costs down.

Instead they have loaded themselves down with Lucic's salary, and lost Hall, who could have been the Messier to complement McJesus's Gretzky.

Lack of patience... stupid management may have blown a real chance at multiple Cups.

7 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Probably the worst deal the Coilers have pulled off is trading Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome... Eberle is the type of player who can be a game-breaker... he is an elite forward, capable of changing the dynamics of a game.  What has Strome done???  :blink:

But the trade where Taylor Hall went to New Jersey is close behind.  Hall is a genuine star in the league.  Having both him and McJesus on the same team guaranteed the Oilers would be an offensive powerhouse for 5-10 years.  Yeah, Larsson is a good player, but he is not the same caliber as Hall.

Keeping Nugent Hopkins instead of Hall or Eberle was a mistake.  Hall is clearly much better... all three were making $6 million last year.

- Keep Hall and McJesus as the foundation of the team.  Sign Hall to a multi year deal for $6.5 - $7 million a season... they could have done that the last year Hall was on the team... Hall wanted a Cup he understood McJesus was the way to get there.  Put a low rent supporting cast around them.

- Trade one or both of Eberle or Nugent Hopkins for multiple bluechip defensive prospects.... but don't try to get a premium blueliner like Larsson that will be a big cap hit.  Both Eberle and Nuge were making $6 million... big cap savings.

Instead they have loaded themselves down with Lucic's salary, and lost Hall, who could have been the Messier to complement McJesus's Gretzky.

Lack of patience... stupid management may have blown a real chance at multiple Cups.

Charelli was so overrated when he got hired it was ridiculous. He has been a pompous ass and the loser team he has assembled looks good on him. I see no end in site for that steaming pile of $&!# team and fan base. My support for other Canadian teams turned after 2011. The lack of support our team got from other teams fans will never sit well with me. All while trying to win our first cup. Oilers fans with all their cups and legendary past couldn't find it in them to support the last Canadian team standing in 2011. Of all the Canadian teams I love seeing what a sadsack excuse of a franchise they have become the most. With no hope in sight. 

16 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

I donno. If he is sitting there at our pick (possibly 4th or 5th), it's gonna be hard not to pick. 

And I have a feeling Boqvist may be already gone before him. 

I am ok with Boqvist gone , we need bigger tougher D that can skate. We have OJ to play the small offensive defense man spot. Lets beef up the blue line and find younger Gudbransons or another Kevin Bieksa. I like Bouchard and Wilde in this years draft. We may not get both of them but they would sure look good in our jersey. Bouchard is ranked right behind Boqvist has had better development in the OHL and played 68 games and playoffs last year . This year he has better point per game production than Boqvist and is 6'2 200

14 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

This what happens when you try to find a quick fix for a problem. Imagine if the oilers had of kept eberle and instead traded Nugent hopkins to Montreal for sergachev instead of Tampa trading Drouin. suddenly the oilers have a much better D core with two really good RHD (serg and larsson), one of them still on an ELC for two more years. then they still have a winger in eberle who is capable of putting up 50 points. What if they had gotten NJD to add a second rounder on the Hall - Larson trade? maybe the could have drafted a young Dman .They had all these great assets and pissed them all away. 

5 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

This what happens when you try to find a quick fix for a problem. Imagine if the oilers had of kept eberle and instead traded Nugent hopkins to Montreal for sergachev instead of Tampa trading Drouin. suddenly the oilers have a much better D core with two really good RHD (serg and larsson), one of them still on an ELC for two more years. then they still have a winger in eberle who is capable of putting up 50 points. What if they had gotten NJD to add a second rounder on the Hall - Larson trade? maybe the could have drafted a young Dman .They had all these great assets and pissed them all away. 

Drouin is from Quebec - re he speaks French.  It was also in part a PR move by Montreal.  

They were not willing to include Sergachev to get Duchene.

Archived