The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Give Gud Hockey Net-Deal.

Nuxfanabroad

15 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

If that were true, then the analytics would show those benefits.  Because, we'd be scoring more goals and/or having less scored on us.  But, that's not the case.

but they don't yet for defensemen. Tanev doesn't have good possession numbers either, but we all know how important he is to the team. I haven't seen anything yet that resembles an independent analysis of d quality. Maybe you have and can post it, but simple possession numbers for defensive d never tells the whole story. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but they don't yet for defensemen. Tanev doesn't have good possession numbers either, but we all know how important he is to the team. I haven't seen anything yet that resembles an independent analysis of d quality. Maybe you have and can post it, but simple possession numbers for defensive d never tells the whole story. 

Defensive players in general. Same 'problem' people have with the Sutter trade (and contract). Undervaluing and poor measuring (or understanding of those measurements) what defensive leaning players bring to a team.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

Damn auto spell correcter wow that ended up making no sense, that's one reason I have so many edits.

Moneyball changed MLB, I guess hockey is right.  Who needs stats eh?

Nobody is saying that. Don't straw man.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You can't seriously know anything about analytics and think the two sports are remotely comparable in that regard.

Both of you are completely wrong.

Analytics work for every position in every sport.  Here, I'll prove it to you (although, aGENT will never admit that he's wrong, he'll just start attacking everyone like he's already been doing).  Let's take a sport that analytics shouldn't work on:  bobsledding.  You and I have equal times.  You take an old-fashioned approach and plan your slides based on what 'feels right.'  I, on the other hand, use science.  I analyze each turn scientifically/mathematically to find the best/quickest/fastest route through.  In all my practice-runs, I time each entry and exit to see which ones are fastest.  Then, I analyze those to see why they were faster.  Then, I put together the route that the analytics told me was best.

Who wins now?  Right, I absolutely slaughter you and your old-school approach.

8 minutes ago, Qwags said:

4mil/4-5 years. Please Benning.

That's then likely scenario.  Maybe 4.25-4.5 x 5, but he will be locked in as part of our next defensive core for sure.   Tryamkin will most likely return after his KHL contract too, so we will have the twin towers to look forward too just as this team kicks into high gear, all the youth peaking at the same time.

11 minutes ago, Qwags said:

He's either going to backpedal hard, or double down.

Botchford is giggling like Elmo in some basement corner of The Province building... he's going to have years of negative opinions to tweet now. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As soon as I saw that the link was to a Canucks Army article, I realized that the post wasn't worth checking out.

I don't think that we're going to have realistic stats on defensive play until they start doing actual body tracking of players. Until then I guess we always have Travis Yost..... 

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Damn auto spell correcter wow that ended up making no sense, that's one reason I have so many edits.

Moneyball changed MLB, I guess hockey is right.  Who needs stats eh?

Sorta the way baseball hasn't really figured out good defense metrics yet either.  Still a WIP.

Archived