The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Give Gud Hockey Net-Deal.

Nuxfanabroad

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Both of you are completely wrong.

Analytics work for every position in every sport.  Here, I'll prove it to you (although, aGENT will never admit that he's wrong, he'll just start attacking everyone like he's already been doing).  Let's take a sport that analytics shouldn't work on:  bobsledding.  You and I have equal times.  You take an old-fashioned approach and plan your slides based on what 'feels right.'  I, on the other hand, use science.  I analyze each turn scientifically/mathematically to find the best/quickest/fastest route through.  In all my practice-runs, I time each entry and exit to see which ones are fastest.  Then, I analyze those to see why they were faster.  Then, I put together the route that the analytics told me was best.

Who wins now?  Right, I absolutely slaughter you and your old-school approach.

roflmfao:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Both of you are completely wrong.

Analytics work for every position in every sport.  Here, I'll prove it to you (although, aGENT will never admit that he's wrong, he'll just start attacking everyone like he's already been doing).  Let's take a sport that analytics shouldn't work on:  bobsledding.  You and I have equal times.  You take an old-fashioned approach and plan your slides based on what 'feels right.'  I, on the other hand, use science.  I analyze each turn scientifically/mathematically to find the best/quickest/fastest route through.  In all my practice-runs, I time each entry and exit to see which ones are fastest.  Then, I analyze those to see why they were faster.  Then, I put together the route that the analytics told me was best.

Who wins now?  Right, I absolutely slaughter you and your old-school approach.

These competitions that you have in your head....are they fun?

posted this in a different thread but its more appropriate here - check out how thin the league is on top UFA RHD: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/all/defense/ufa/desc/1/right

If we don't re-sign Guddy our choices are overpaying massively for an older Mike Green, or maybe John Carlson but there's no guarantee either of them want to be here, and most likely they want to go to a competitor. 

Woodley says 4 million isn't a big contract number in today's NHL.  Easy to move if the asset under performs.  Imo he could be a steal at 4 million if he ends up playing like last week.  He's been playing like a 6 million dollar man.

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

posted this in a different thread but its more appropriate here - check out how thin the league is on top UFA RHD: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/all/defense/ufa/desc/1/right

If we don't re-sign Guddy our choices are overpaying massively for an older Mike Green, or maybe John Carlson but there's no guarantee either of them want to be here, and most likely they want to go to a competitor. 

Or get a left side D that can switch over the right side reasonably well. 

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Or get a left side D that can switch over the right side reasonably well. 

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Pouliot can do that. 

As can McEneny but I think we're all referring to guys who could play top 4 and do so next year and I think we can all agree that a natural righty would be preferred.

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Woodley says 4 million isn't a big contract number in today's NHL.  Easy to move if the asset under performs.  Imo he could be a steal at 4 million if he ends up playing like last week.  He's been playing like a 6 million dollar man.

I don't think you've seen the list of high end defensemen that have contracts in that range. The only players Gudbranson comes close to in that range are Bogosian, Johnson, and Petry who are all considered overpayments but provide more offence than Gudbranson does. Gudbranson is a fine NHL defencemen that could reasonably settle into a consistent top four role but he's not worth top pairing money in any case. 4 million is a very good number for a guy who averages 56 games a year, doesn't have a lot of playoff experience, hasn't found consistency in his game yet, and doesn't contribute a lot offensively. JB already has a few bad contracts he has to deal with, adding another wouldn't help matters.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As can McEneny but I think we're all referring to guys who could play top 4 and do so next year and I think we can all agree that a natural righty would be preferred.

sure but we probably won't have that option. We still don't have a "1D" pairing anyway for next season so not sure its that big a deal if we have a left shot Pouliot  on the right side at 6D. And maybe Biega again too. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but we probably won't have that option. We still don't have a "1D" pairing anyway for next season so not sure its that big a deal if we have a left shot Pouliot  on the right side at 6D. And maybe Biega again too. 

We won't have a 'legit' D group for a while yet. I'd prefer if we can sign a short term, vet to play top 4 right side if we're moving Tanev.

Edler, Gudbranson

MDZ, _____

Pouliot, Stecher

By all means Stech and Gudbranson could shuffle up or down as needed but I think I'd like a short term vet there (3 years'ish?) until we develop some guys to play there.

Wonder if we could convince Mike Green to sign for 3 years. $$ doesn't really matter as long as the term is short.

On 2/17/2018 at 10:29 PM, on the cycle said:

yeah, thought he was good this game. I just don't see him fitting into our future core. The Canucks need picks and prospects and a spot on the blueline for Juolevi.

Well Edler comes off the books after next year and there is the possibility of one or both of Tanev and Hutton being traded. Tanev slightly less so, IMO. That is assuming Juolevi makes the jump to pro next year which is by no means a sure thing.

I don't mind giving him more money for less term. 4.5 or even 5 for a 3 year deal? We will be needing cap space in about 4 years so a 3 year deal sounds like a good idea. Gud gets to earn a bit more money, which should be good for his pride.

19 minutes ago, khay said:

I don't mind giving him more money for less term. 4.5 or even 5 for a 3 year deal? We will be needing cap space in about 4 years so a 3 year deal sounds like a good idea. Gud gets to earn a bit more money, which should be good for his pride.

And keep the no trade clause out of the contract too.  Would like to have the trade option in his last year, without an NTC getting in the way.

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Let's not get tooo picky..just be nice if we don't squander the original assets.

That he's rollin with Eddie is timely, sweet justice, ain't it?!

It is great to see Edler doing well with a solid partner, who can cover off the physical side of play, letting Edler play to his strengths. That being said, I think Gudbranson also gives Edler a little extra mojo in his game too. Both were treating the Bruins like chew toys.

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Riff, How epic would JB's presser be if...

"Yeah uhhh, like, y'know..we feel Gud gives us that, like, physicality, y'know..so we decided to give him the hockey net-deal..he he he"

The best part is the fact that what I felt the day we acquired Gud will be repeated.

Thats both epic and real Gud.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

The best part is the fact that what I felt the day we acquired Gud will be repeated.

Thats both epic and real Gud.

Same. This team has desperately needed what Guddy is now bringing with regularity.

I have a feeling an announcement is coming shortly.

Archived