The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks wishlist at trade deadline: A physical forward

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

You saw the Virtanen rush that led to the Dowd goal.  Or did you have your head in the fridge looking for beer?  That's why Virtanen was drafted.

I thought his pass after turning to get a saucer was even nicer. Dowd could have had two goals cause of Virtanen. 

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

You saw the Virtanen rush that led to the Dowd goal.  Or did you have your head in the fridge looking for beer?  That's why Virtanen was drafted.

Yes I did, and immediately commented on it in GDT. 

Once every month doesn't cut it. If he was doing those things more often he'd be playing more than 4th line minutes. And you wouldn't need to defend him and be rude in the process for no apparent reason. 

And my point stands. How many years ago was Virtanen drafted. 

7 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

:lol::lol: you're funny. Why in the world would Toronto make such an overpayment. 

That is not an overpayment. Tanev is worth a 1st+ great prospect. Martin isn't necessarily a cap dump at this point of time but he's not worth too much. Plus there have been multiple reports that Toronto an Babcock love Tanev. Out of curiosity what do you imagine Tanev is worth?

12 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

:lol::lol: you're funny. Why in the world would Toronto make such an overpayment. 

You're not funny.

Why would we gift Tanev to the Laffs for a 40% prospect, a cap dump (that is specifically not what Benning is looking for)  and a 20% draft pick?

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Once every month doesn't cut it. If he was doing those things more often he'd be playing more than 4th line minutes. And you wouldn't need to defend him and be rude in the process for no apparent reason. 

Sorry for the glib comment.  I was kidding.  But honestly, since the Archibald call up, players like Virtanen, Edler, Hutton (when he gets in), even Danny have been playing bigger.  Heck, even Goldobin was throwing hits.  With the right mix of players and some of these guys we've been hoping for, almost look like they're figuring it out.

Tonight I'm celebrating because the Canucks looked like they have soul.  I want to see more.  

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

And my point stands. How many years ago was Virtanen drafted. 

Every now and then Jake has a game where you think "Why doesn't he play like that every game?". I'm still fairly encouraged by Virtanen but man he needs to figure out he needs to play like that all the time or he'll never turn into a longtime NHLer. As I said though, at least he's shown he has the ability.

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Sorry for the glib comment.  I was kidding.  But honestly, since the Archibald call up, players like Virtanen, Edler, Hutton (when he gets in), even Danny have been playing bigger.  Heck, even Goldobin was throwing hits.  With the right mix of players and some of these guys we've been hoping for, almost look like they're figuring it out.

Tonight I'm celebrating because the Canucks looked like they have soul.  I want to see more.  

All good. But I totally agree on Archie comment. I was thinking that earlier as well. He's made a difference in a big way. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

All good. But I totally agree on Archie comment. I was thinking that earlier as well. He's made a difference in a big way. 

And I think that's what's behind Benning's comment about adding a physical forward.  Archie isn't his man but somebody like him who is a bona fide NHL player, would do wonders for the team.

41 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not a secret that is what we need, but interesting that he chose to name that one over some other needs, such as maybe some defence prospects, or a scoring forward.

Some interesting names on some common trade bait lists are Evander Kane, Patrick Maroon that fit that mould, but considering that the Canucks won't want to pay a premium and will likely want younger players, will be interesting who else they could be referring to.

The Canucks wouldn't and shouldn't pay anything for either of these guys. They are both UFAs at the end of the season. Wait and sign them after July 1 if that is what is desired, and no assets given up to acquire them.

regards,  G.

50 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I don't think he's looking for a rental.

This is a longer term acquisition.

Exactly, the only adding Benning's ever done at the TDL is for the future.  He's also said clearly, "We will be younger next year."

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

What do we have that Washington would give up Tom Wilson for? or Boone Jenner from CBJ?

This has been ON's wish for a while now.  16 points in 51 games and worst +/- on the team, his decline began when Torts arrived two years ago.  If he truly is in the Torts doghouse and with Columbus in a dogfight for the playoffs, maybe something can happen.  "Change of scenery" looks like the exact thing he needs.  They have Wennberg, Dubinski, and PLD to play C.  We need roster spots, so hopefully JB's working on a package and ideally without any picks going out.  Some combo of Baertschi, Goldobin, Granlund, Hutton, perhaps a prospect on the outs with us.

Looks like a prime buy-low target, and fits JB's description perfectly, as well as the ideal age (24).  $2.9mil and RFA after this season, but would certainly sign for less than Kane will get as a UFA, and is a C to boot.  Looks like a JB kinda guy.

Archived