The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tampa and Toronto interested in Chris Tanev, low offers so far

Rush17

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Tanev + Vanek for Callahan + Foote and a 1st + conditional 2nd if Tampa makes the finals

The old Ryan Callahan I remember when he was traded to Tampa was one hard working fella.  I do not follow other teams as much as I should.  Is he still that same hardworking type just with less production?  He could in theory fit our mold of what we are looking for.  Only 2 years after this season at a cap hit of 5.8 million.  That too me looks like a situation that could work out for us.  As long as Boeser's extension doesn't cap us out we should be able to eat that contract and make our team better.  

That type of trade and return is probably the most realistic ive seen tossed around and I like it.

I have wanted a Tanev deal all season and quite honestly it was to get a 1st Rounder ++ in a strong draft year. Another aspect of having 2 1st Rounders is the flexibility it gives Benning in either trading up or down. If Gudbranson is resigned I do think Tanev will go if the offer is good enough. THe 2018 Draft will be huge for the Canucks. 

Tanev and the Islanders seem like they would be a match.

This is a move that would clearly speak to Tavares, and bringing in Tanev wouldn't break the cap...

To NYI:  Christopher Tanev, Ben Hutton, Thomas Vanek

To Vancouver:   Casey Czikas, Ryan Pulock, Kieffer Bellows, 2018 1st (the lesser of the two picks), 2018 4th

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

The old Ryan Callahan I remember when he was traded to Tampa was one hard working fella.  I do not follow other teams as much as I should.  Is he still that same hardworking type just with less production?  He could in theory fit our mold of what we are looking for.  Only 2 years after this season at a cap hit of 5.8 million.  That too me looks like a situation that could work out for us.  As long as Boeser's extension doesn't cap us out we should be able to eat that contract and make our team better.  

That type of trade and return is probably the most realistic ive seen tossed around and I like it.

Callahan is still a great mentor and has relentless work ethic on and off the ice. But his best years are behind him and his offensive game has dried up.

8 hours ago, teepain said:

Jvr + 1st rnd + prospect

tanev

Id do it and then flip jvr for more assets

to van: jvr, martin, 1st pick 2018

to tor: tanev 

martin would police the game for the younger talent 

to wpg: jvr

to van: poolman, 1st pick 2018, 3rd pick 2018 (conditional - if jets make it to western conference final) 

out: tanev, jvr

in: Martin, 2 first round picks, poolman, conditional 3rd rounder 

not a bad haul 

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Callahan is still a great mentor and has relentless work ethic on and off the ice. But his best years are behind him and his offensive game has dried up.

Sounds like a good winger to put with Archie and Sutter on the checking line.  That would speak the end of Granlund though.  also muck up the waters for mixing in young blood next season possibly adding another vet.

20 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I bet we could even take him.  Then retain half his cap hit then flip him to a contender.  He would do a contender possibly more then he would do for us.  Plus we would get more assets back and help Tampa get out under that contract.  If Benning did that I would be amazed.  Didn't another team do that last year with Flippula or something?

oops was this sorry:

This is not a typo: the Flyers retained 4.7 percent of Streit's remaining salary/cap hit in that Filppula trade. Just 4.7 percent.

UPDATE: The Lightning traded Streit to the Penguins before Wednesday's deadline

So Streit was flipped to Tampa then Tampa flipped him to the Pens.  We should do that with Callahan but retain 50% of his cap :D.  That would put Callahan's cap hit at 2.9 million for 2 seasons following this one.  We could keep him for a year maybe even 2 then flip.  Is Callahan a big part of their success defensively this season?  not sure u want to mess with your line up if your playing so well.  unless he's a negative factor on your play.

2 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

If you guys want a big-guy, Alex Tuch is going to be a beast (and can prossibly be had).

I wanted him in his draft.  Mostly because he was a huge solid skating RW but also because then I could say things like

Oh did you see that goal, he was untuchable

Or he was caught tuching himself on the play

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I wanted him in his draft.  Mostly because he was a huge solid skating RW but also because then I could say things like

Oh did you see that goal, he was untuchable

Or he was caught tuching himself on the play

Good play on words. It was quite tuching, if i say so myself. 

I think Tampa is the best fit for Tanev.  This is my scribbled reasoning below:  

Reasons why Tampa is the perfect trade Partner for Chris Tanev.
- Tampa is a top team in the nhl. Arguably the most consistent team this season.  This is Tampa's year they will clearly be the favorite this season even though the Bruins are on the rise.  They need a top 4 D RHD and can play without one. Tanev is a terrific defenseman but even if he does fall at some point in the playoffs tampa has enough d depth to cover an temporary injured tanev.  If he does stay healthy Tampa will be even more defensively strong with their already potent offense. 

The Lightning have a 2 year window with Tanev part of their group with his great cap hit at 4.5 million.  If tampa comes close there is a good chance Tanev may take a haircut once again so he can have another shot at a cup.  Tampa has arguably the deepest talent pool of prospects and young nhl players.  Toss that in and suddenly it makes  a lot of sense why these 2 parties would be the perfect fit.   Toss in the history of many long time Canucks defenseman ending up in Tampa it only adds another layer of intrigue to the prospect.  A Tanev deal to Tampa would be costly but it could pay off in spades. Possibly with several cup contentions and may be even some rings.

5 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

If you guys want a big-guy, Alex Tuch is going to be a beast (and can prossibly be had).

What kind of game does he play? Was actually wondering if Brannstrom could be had....Brannstrom (essentially a 1st) & Tuch (good size, but no idea how he plays) not sure if anything could be included. JB has shown a willingness to trade within the division. McPhee would go down in history if he could bring Vegas a Stanley Cup in their 1st year.

1 minute ago, canucklehead80 said:

What kind of game does he play? Was actually wondering if Brannstrom could be had....Brannstrom (essentially a 1st) & Tuch (good size, but no idea how he plays) not sure if anything could be included. JB has shown a willingness to trade within the division. McPhee would go down in history if he could bring Vegas a Stanley Cup in their 1st year.

Would take tuch in a heartbeat.  Physical hard forechecker.  0.5 ppg.  Solid rookie year.  Have him in my pool.  I watch a lot of Knights games.

I like the assets Toronto has the most and believe they have strong interest in Tanev.

1st + Liljegren + Martin for Tanev + Goldobin

Rielly - Tanev

Gardiner - Zaitsev

Dermott - Hainsey

Liljegren who's having a strong year in the AHL as an 18-year-old would give us that puck moving PP QB d-man, the first round pick in a deep draft to bolster our prospect pool. Matt Martin would add toughness and a strong presence on our 4th line, and you could send back Archie for Utica's playoff run.

5 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

That combo looks amazing.  I would be stumbling over myself to get that deal inked.  That is 2 blue chip prospects imo. Even if Tuck ended up being a 3rd liner and Brannstrom a top 4 d man we win that deal every day of the month.  If that was an offer I'd be all over that as a GM.

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Would take tuch in a heartbeat.  Physical hard forechecker.  0.5 ppg.  Solid rookie year.  Have him in my pool.  I watch a lot of Knights games.

Do you think Vegas wants to move some young players though for a Chris Tanev? that would be like a complete flip in philosophy.  

Just now, R.Dahlin26 said:

I like the assets Toronto has the most and believe they have strong interest in Tanev.

1st + Liljegren + Martin for Tanev + Goldobin

Rielly - Tanev

Gardiner - Zaitsev

Dermott - Hainsey

Liljegren who's having a strong year in the AHL as an 18-year-old would give us that puck moving PP QB d-man, the first round pick in a deep draft to bolster our prospect pool. Matt Martin would add toughness and a strong presence on our 4th line, and you could send back Archie for Utica's playoff run.

Wonder if there'd be anyway we could include JD Greenway.....and then convince Jordan to stay 1 more season at college and sign with us afterwards.::D

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

That combo looks amazing.  I would be stumbling over myself to get that deal inked.  That is 2 blue chip prospects imo. Even if Tuck ended up being a 3rd liner and Brannstrom a top 4 d man we win that deal every day of the month.  If that was an offer I'd be all over that as a GM.

Do you think Vegas wants to move some young players though for a Chris Tanev? that would be like a complete flip in philosophy.  

Would actually be surprised if they did. They don't really need to. This season's success is unexpected, although winning a Cup this early would definitely help cement interest in the area before the Raiders and NBA move in. They definitely did well enough picking up picks and prospects before the season to at least make it possible. 

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I have wanted a Tanev deal all season and quite honestly it was to get a 1st Rounder ++ in a strong draft year. Another aspect of having 2 1st Rounders is the flexibility it gives Benning in either trading up or down. If Gudbranson is resigned I do think Tanev will go if the offer is good enough. THe 2018 Draft will be huge for the Canucks. 

I agree, another 1st has to be the cornerstone of any Tanev deal, but I also think they need a top prospect too.  Tanev might not be a flashy dman who puts up points, but he's a rock and in the prime of his career.  Best of all, his low point production makes him affordable for a lot of teams.  The more interest there is, the higher his value.

If they pick top 10, I could see JB making a play for a top 2-3 pick.

Archived