The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tampa and Toronto interested in Chris Tanev, low offers so far

Rush17

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/teams-asking-canucks-chris-tanev-ahead-nhl-trade-deadline/

(Video: 3:28 minutes in)

While the big defensive fish being dangled ahead of the NHL’s 2018 trade deadline are offensive dynamos like Erik Karlsson and Mike Green, the Vancouver Canucks have seen interest continue to rise on one of their own rearguards as Feb. 26 draws near.  General managers around the league continue to inquire about Vancouver’s Chris Tanev, according to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, though it appears the Canucks aren’t keen on moving the 28-year-old for anything less than a significant return.

“He’s hurt right now, which could potentially complicate matters, but what I’ve been told is that the Canucks have told teams — including, I believe, Toronto — ‘If you’re serious, it’s going to take a special offer to do this,’” Friedman said during the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday.

“I think the Canucks realize still that even though they are rebuilding, you want to give your young players a chance. And you’ve got to be serious, really serious, if you want to get Tanev out [of Vancouver].”  After finishing with the second-worst record in the league last season, the Canucks have enjoyed a modest revival of sorts in 2017-18. While team-wide success continues to elude them, Vancouver has seen rookie Brock Boeser emerge as one of the most promising goal-scorers in the game, positioning himself as a Calder Trophy favourite with 27 tallies to his name thus far.

Tanev has followed suit with a modest improvement of his own, posting 11 points through 38 games this season after putting up 10 points through 53 games in 2016-17. Though that sum isn’t putting Tanev in the running for a Norris Trophy, it is enough to match the best points-per-game pace of the eight-year veteran’s career. 

The long-time Canuck has two more seasons left on his five-year deal, carrying a cap hit of $4.45 million and a modified no-trade clause, according to CapFriendly.

Curious what you guys think might be "a special offer" or the right price. It appears Jim Benning and Canucks management may be open to moving Chris Tanev if someone knocked their socks off with an offer. We have heard from the beginning of the year they intend on keeping Tanev to pair with Juolevi for his first season. I  would find a trade difficult to make unless the return was simply to good to refuse.  I feel bad for even posting this because Tanev has been such a warrior for us.  I hope he stays in the blue and green but if we can get a King's Ransom it would be nice to see him compete for a cup.

I know we have a lot of Chris Tanev topics out there. Feel free to merge this with another if you feel its to much. Just wanted to make sure this didn't slip through the cracks.

1 minute ago, Cramarossa said:

So he's not being shopped, but JB wouldn't hang up the phone if the offer was really good? Slow news day, eh? That could be said for almost any player on the team. 

This.

Obvious headline is obvious. Standard attention grabber. 

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

It seems like Benning is now at a stage where he is open to looking at what a return might look like.

As the seasons go on and Chris Tanev breaks down physically in a regular basis that team inquiring 2 seasons ago is much less likely to offer a kings ransom or have shifted their sights elsewhere.

I love what Tanev brings but he holds more value to Vancouver now, maybe im wrong and Toronto or somebody trades a top prospect, top pick and roster piece?

But Vancouver needs to draft another highend defenseman or two this draft and keep a veteran presence to help them develop. 

Obviously, any player can be had for the right price...

I think if we re-sign Gudbranson and considering how he and Edler help each other, I think the following top 4 would be pretty good:

Edler-Gud

Juolevi-Tanev

Unless we get Dahlin and majority of new comers exceed expectation, I think we have one more top 10 draft pick coming in 2019 but this defence should be good enough to keep us decent. 

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tampa Bay seems logical. Tanev has playoff experience that could help them especially through the later rounds, which is where I project them going.

Tanev has no later round experience. He played one SCF as a rookie but only because it was an emergency, and he did it thanks to the 2011 core. He has never led a team anywhere past game 6 of the 1st round. 

Archived