The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tampa and Toronto interested in Chris Tanev, low offers so far

Rush17

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Nashville is not trading Ellis.  His off-season priority is to get him signed and Ellis wants to sign there too.  They seriously considered giving him the C and created the position associate captain for him - the other As are alternates. 

This was Friedman in May when asked about Ellis' availability  https://frshockey.com/nhl/predators/friedman-shoots-down-notion-of-predators-trading-ellis/

“I can’t see Nashville moving Ellis,” said Friedman. “I just don’t see it. He’s a Predator born and bred. He’s happy to be there. He’s one of theirs, right. I think they would try to sort out the whole situation with Ellis before they would consider moving him. I think he’s a very big part of their identity and who they are. 

“I think Nashville would exhaust every possibility about keeping him before they would consider moving him. And from everything I know about Ryan Ellis, he loves it there and he would make it work.

“Look, the contract he signed last time, he made it work. To me, the surest predictor of future behavior is past behavior. And obviously Ryan Ellis is a guy who loves it in Nashville, and what’s not to like. And as you and I have talked about, what’s the old philosophy? Don’t screw around with happy. And if you’re happy, you find a way to get it done. 

“Until I’m led to believe anything otherwise, I believe he’s going to be there forever and ever and ever amen.”

Yeah makes sense. I don’t see what’s in it for the predators to move him. 

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Here is a comment from a deranged Leafs fan on hf boards lol.

Some Canucks fans here are in some kind of beautiful fantasy land and it's not going to be pleasant when they come crashing back to reality. 

Liljegren
Kapanen+
Tyler Johnson
Cal Foote

Dream on.

I don't get these leaf fans. In his opinion Tanev is worth third tier prospects. It would be similar to us offering breezer and a 2nd for Gardiner.  Its unrealistic especially for the best shutdown shot suppression d man in the NHL.

Breezer and a 2nd would be a high offer by some of their fans.  

lol. Tanev is not the best shutdown defenseman in the NHL. No even top 5. If he was, there woulda been a bidding war for his service already and we woulda gotten what Mcdonagh or Shattenkirk got for their teams; which is about a 1st, a 2nd and a nice prospect. 

Edmonton may be looking for a cookie cutter RHPMD for a pick - but good luck with that.

But why the assumption that they can score their way out of their problems?

Klefbom could benefit from a solid defensive partner - doesn't necessarily have to be a pmd. 

A great transition shutdown D like Tanev is just as likely to complement that group.

Pet Chia gave Sekera 5.5 million per.  What do they have to complement him?

You already have a pair of D that have scored 35-40pts btw....

You have a LHD group of Nurse, Klefbom, Sekera.....and one top 4 RHD.

Edmonton, like Toronto, needs to keep the puck out of their net as much as anything else.  Larsson is one step, but not enough imo.

Their top 2 centers gave up a troubling amount of 5 on 5 goals against per 60 (among the worst on the Coil) ...here's an idea - do a better job of ending opposition possession...one Larsson on that team is not really enough.   Enter Chris Tanev.

Klefbom Tanev

Nurse Larsson

Sekera Benning/Russell

Adding a pmd may make the Coil more dangerous - but they're already dangerous - at both ends of the ice lol.

However be forewarned - that you're going to have to pony up for Tanev.  Seriously.  We're not in the business of strengthening division rivals.

And any bandaid moves to the lineup won't change that management group or coaching staff - so perhaps look at the real source of your problems, not the on-ice symptoms.

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Here is a comment from a deranged Leafs fan on hf boards lol.

Some Canucks fans here are in some kind of beautiful fantasy land and it's not going to be pleasant when they come crashing back to reality. 

Liljegren
Kapanen+
Tyler Johnson
Cal Foote

Dream on.

I don't get these leaf fans. In his opinion Tanev is worth third tier prospects. It would be similar to us offering breezer and a 2nd for Gardiner.  Its unrealistic especially for the best shutdown shot suppression d man in the NHL.

Breezer and a 2nd would be a high offer by some of their fans.  

Highlight reel fan that have no idea.

Canuck fans will not be disappointed - Tanev will either command a serious, "special" return, or he won't be dealt.

Leafs fans like this will be seriously disappointed if his Leafs do manage to acquire Tanev - at what the real cost will be.

if he believes they're getting a player like Tanev without moving a Liljegren or Kapanen at the very least, he's living in BlueKoolaidville.

But carry on.....who needs Tanev......you've got.....Jake Gardiner after all.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Poile and Laviolette but also players just really like their group and they can keep them together for a while - their window is wide open and there's really no reason to mess with that. 

Poile says that what he worries the most about is chemistry and that when players fit he wants to sign them long term.  A few years ago he was explaining that he made too many moves to try and bring in upgrades but that it never made a team.  He says chemistry is one of the hardest things to find.  

19 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The Preds recent moves:  Weber for PK, RJ for Jones, and bringing in Turris kind of caused their team to go backwards, especially in the playoffs.  Maybe Poille recognizes this and is trying to fix those mistakes?

This Ellis pipe dream is borderline ludicrous imo.

23 minutes a game, top 4, homegrown, playing for a contender.

3.8 on ice goals for per 60, 2.0 against = +1.8 gpg.

32 points in 44 games last season.  Better than .5 ppg over his last four seasons.

3.5 million cap hit ths coming season = outstanding value to a team in a Cup contending window.

Dream on Edmonton.

10th overall pick is outlandishly overvalued.  Not going to get you a Ryan Ellis, let alone from a contending team that has what motivation to deal a player like this for a draft pick?

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Tanev for 10th overall+ lucic. Bring it. 

Adding Lucic is a BIG deal that they should be paying for.

Tanev for 10th is another story.

That said... if Detroit really is sniffing around, I'd rather work out a deal for their #6 and then try and entice Buffalo with a deal around 6 & 7 +  for 1OA

Net is essentially Tanev, #7, + for Dahlin 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Preds recent moves:  Weber for PK, RJ for Jones, and bringing in Turris kind of caused their team to go backwards, especially in the playoffs.  Maybe Poille recognizes this and is trying to fix those mistakes?

They won the President's trophy.  They lost to Winnipeg in 7 games - that was the 2nd best team in the regular season.  They haven't taken a step back.

Last year they made the finals coming in as the 16th team that just barely qualified for the playoffs.  They were the underdogs.  This year they were one of the favourites.  It's a different kind of pressure and they have to learn how to handle that.  Nashville wants to bring back the same group next year and try again.

They had to get a C1.  Poile knew he was giving up a D1 in Jones but it just wasn't working for them.  Johansen has been very good for them in the playoffs.  Weber is not a fit in their system and Laviolette thinks that since they got Subban the team is going in the right direction - says he was one of their best players this season. 

24 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Edmonton may be looking for a cookie cutter RHPMD for a pick - but good luck with that.

But why the assumption that they can score their way out of their problems?

Klefbom could benefit from a solid defensive partner - doesn't necessarily have to be a pmd. 

A great transition shutdown D like Tanev is just as likely to complement that group.

Pet Chia gave Sekera 5.5 million per.  What do they have to complement him?

You already have a pair of D that have scored 35-40pts btw....

You have a LHD group of Nurse, Klefbom, Sekera.....and one top 4 RHD.

What is with obsession with scoring their way out of their problems?

Edmonton, like Toronto, needs to keep the puck out of their net as much as anything else.  Larsson is one step, but not enough imo.

Their top 2 centers gave up a troubling amount of 5 on 5 goals against per 60...here's an idea - do a better job of ending opposition possession...one Larsson on that team is not really enough.   Enter Chris Tanev.

Klefbom Tanev

Nurse Larsson

Sekera Benning/Russell

Adding a pmd may make the Coil more dangerous - but they're already dangerous - at both ends of the ice lol.

However be forewarned - that you're going to have to pony up for Tanev.  Seriously.  We're not in the business of strengthening division rivals.

And any bandaid moves to the lineup won't change that management group or coaching staff - so perhaps look at the real source of your problems, not the on-ice symptoms.

Oilers had the worst powerplay in the league last year converting at only 14%.   One of the biggest reasons for that was the fact that they couldn’t get zone entry as teams knew they just had to shadow McDavid like we saw Dorsett do.  They need a player from the back end that not only can carry the puck into the zone but someone who’s able to set things up and work the puck around.

There highest point defensemen was Nurse who finished the season off with 26 points.  They are desperate for some offensive from the back end, which intern will also help generate offense on lines that don’t feature McDavid. 

Could they benefit from a player like Tanev? Sure what team in the NHL wouldn’t from having an elite shutdown D on their roster….. but Tanev is not going to solve their biggest issue on the back end.  Nurse, Klefbom and Larsen are all the start of a decent top 4 D core and they all are decent defensive D in their own right…. but they all provide next to little offense, that’s why they are on the market for an offensive D and not another limited offensive guy and why they wouldn’t have interest in moving much for a player like Tanev.  They need a guy that can match the skill they have upfront.

7 minutes ago, mll said:

They won the President's trophy.  They lost to Winnipeg in 7 games - that was the 2nd best team in the regular season.  They haven't taken a step back.

Last year they made the finals coming in as the 16th team that just barely qualified for the playoffs.  They were the underdogs.  This year they were one of the favourites.  It's a different kind of pressure and they have to learn how to handle that.  Nashville wants to bring back the same group next year and try again.

They had to get a C1.  Poile knew he was giving up a D1 in Jones but it just wasn't working for them.  Johansen has been very good for them in the playoffs.  Weber is not a fit in their system and Laviolette thinks that since they got Subban the team is going in the right direction - says he was one of their best players this season. 

We won a couple of those President's trophies too.  I think the teams want the Cup.  The Preds want backwards in their playoffs this season.   Something was wrong with them against Winnipeg. The Jets got destroyed by Vegas!  I thin RJ is an okay center, as is Turris, but neither is a top line guy.  They have a 2 and a 3.  PK, although fun to watch, is not a winner.  There is something off with him.  I think the Preds would a have done better with Weber.  Renne would have been better with Weber.

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Oilers had the worst powerplay in the league last year converting at only 14%.   One of the biggest reasons for that was the fact that they couldn’t get zone entry as teams knew they just had to shadow McDavid like we saw Dorsett do.  They need a player from the back end that not only can carry the puck into the zone but someone who’s able to set things up and work the puck around.

There highest point defensemen was Nurse who finished the season off with 26 points.  They are desperate for some offensive from the back end, which intern will also help generate offense on lines that don’t feature McDavid. 

Could they benefit from a player like Tanev? Sure what team in the NHL wouldn’t from having an elite shutdown D on their roster….. but Tanev is not going to solve their biggest issue on the back end.  Nurse, Klefbom and Larsen are all the start of a decent top 4 D core and they all are decent defensive D in their own right…. but they all provide next to little offense, that’s why they are on the market for an offensive D and not another limited offensive guy and why they wouldn’t have interest in moving much for a player like Tanev.  They need a guy that can match the skill they have upfront.

their biggest issue is not their powerplay or zone entries on it.

and when you have McDavid, Draisaitll, the kind of wingers they do, Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera.....it's time to look at your coaching, not their age-old delusion that their solutions lie in the trade market.

The same group the previous season was the 6th best powerplay in the NHL.....but, it's the parts that are the problem.

Their primary problem is keeping the puck out of their own net.  They surrenedered one goal less than Vancouver, the second most in the Western conference.

Being myopic in this sense is classic Oiler-think.  'We need more scoring'!

They could use a complement to Klefbom every bit as much as a pmd.  A pmd may help their powerplay, may even help them with zone exits (as well as entries) -

but here's the catch - you're not going to acquire a pmd for anywhere near what you're offering - and no one sells those assets, particularly not teams in the window of contention.

That Edmonton would even float Ellis' name is par for the course - of how deluded and off target they are.

Looking at their solutions as necessarily an offensive D is typical Edmonton.  

Go ahead and add an offensive D to a pairing with Klefbom or Sekera and outscore your problems - but there's more than one way to team build - and this isnt' the 1980s.

Have a look at what a Tanev could actually do for that team..... and it's no more far fetched than believing an OD is their solution.

49 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

That said... if Detroit really is sniffing around, I'd rather work out a deal for their #6 and then try and entice Buffalo with a deal around 6 & 7 +  for 1OA

the + added on to the 6& 7 Pick would be something like Horvat or BB, OJ and Demko and even then Buffalo probably declines. 

52 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

lmao if you think Buffalo is going to deal #1 for #6 + #7.

You would think you would realize this when you type "Tanev, #7, + for Dahlin".  Unless that "+" is Boeser and Pettersson.

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

their biggest issue is not their powerplay or zone entries on it.

and when you have McDavid, Draisaitll, the kind of wingers they do, Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera.....it's time to look at your coaching, not their age-old delusion that their solutions lie in the trade market.

Their primary problem is keeping the puck out of their own net.  They surrenedered one goal less than Vancouver, the second most in the Western conference.

Context and actually watching oilers games are needed in order to determine a better understanding for that.  It’s not as simple as thinking they let in 262 goals last season = need better Defensive D. The 16/17 season that exact same d core only had 207 goals against. So it’s not like the just forgot how to play D all of the sudden. You need to watch them and understand to break it all down. 

Last year Talbot had a brutal season. sekeras missed the first half of the year. Klefbom play through injury the entire season. There pk was a huge reason for GA. Especially at home where Todd McClellan thought it was a good idea to get mcdavid on the #2 unit which often got them caught out of position as he was thinking offense. Kassian was on there top unit and he ended up with a whooping 9 total blocked shots in 74 games. Compare that sutter who had 32 in 61 games  letestu was under 50% on the draws during pk which forced them to use Leon. But that meant they were stuck with Leon on the ice during the PK.

There was a lot more going on with there defensive struggles than just not having good enough defensive D. 

Being myopic is thinking them saying there main focus on finding an offensive D is all they are going to d this summer. At no point did they ever say that all the will do is look to add one offensive D and then call it a summer, so what your suggesting is pure straw. If I’m the oilers I’m finding a top pairing D that can run a pp, dumping aged sekeras and going after a player vet player like hammer. 

They could use a complement to Klefbom every bit as much as a pmd.  A pmd may help their powerplay, may even help them with zone exits (as well as entries) -

but here's the catch - you're not going to acquire a pmd for anywhere near what you're offering - and no one sells those assets, particularly not teams in the window of contention.

I agree which is why I don’t see nsh having any interest in that. But Barrie has been connected with the oilers as well as dumba. Oilers have enough asset to potentially pry out a player like that. Or they can fall back on signing Alberta boy mike green. Either way it doesn’t take away from the fact that they need more offensive from the back end. 

Go ahead and add an offensive D to a pairing with Klefbom or Sekera and outscore your problems - but there's more than one way to team build - and this isnt' the 1980s.

Again when did they say that was there goal. That’s your own added flavor. It’s not even accurate. If the oilers were a top 5 offensive team in the league and still were looking for more offensive. You might have a point. But they weren’t. They only put up 229 goals last year (that’s with 100+ point mcdavid) they were 51 goals behind the top team. 

Have a look at what a Tanev could actually do for that team..... and it's no more far fetched than believing an OD is their solution.

Have a look at what tanev could do for every team in the league. He’s a top quality player. But his skill set is not a top need for them.  Next year they need a 40+ point D. They need to improve there PP. they also need an actual defensive minded center and not expect RNH to be there shutdown guy. 

its funny Becuase the only people trying to convince the oilers that the need more defensive minded D are canucks fans stuck on this idea that we could sell them tanev for a ransom. 

1 hour ago, Crimson said:

lmao if you think Buffalo is going to deal #1 for #6 + #7.

You would think you would realize this when you type "Tanev, #7, + for Dahlin".  Unless that "+" is Boeser and Pettersson.

In no way did I mean to suggest that the + there wouldn't be significant.  Just meant that 6 & 7 would start the conversation.  Bo, Brock, Elias, and Demko should be off the table from our perspective though.

Off their current roster Buffalo only has 8fwd, 5def and no goalie signed and they have about 9 RFAs to sign this year and next.  They need guys under control on reasonable contracts.

1 hour ago, Jayinblack said:

In no way did I mean to suggest that the + there wouldn't be significant.  Just meant that 6 & 7 would start the conversation.  Bo, Brock, Elias, and Demko should be off the table from our perspective though.

Off their current roster Buffalo only has 8fwd, 5def and no goalie signed and they have about 9 RFAs to sign this year and next.  They need guys under control on reasonable contracts.

There is literally a zero percent chance that Buffalo even considers trading #1 Dahlin ever. In the real world no team would ever / could ever offer what it would take to get Dahlin. It is fantasy land to think otherwise imo.

In every scenario Buffalo would choose to keep an up and coming generational D man that are literally almost impossible to ever obtain.

2 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

Just to add....virtually every trade in NHL history, its the team that got the best player that ends up being the credited winner.  Usually its an elite established player that wants out. Just like in Ottawa, when or if Karlsson is dealt away, they will most likely be regarded as the losers. And Dahlin is basically an iron clad top D out of the gate so it would apply to him as well.

On 2/18/2018 at 1:41 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Tampa Bay seems logical. Tanev has playoff experience that could help them especially through the later rounds, which is where I project them going.

How do you think Tanev would have helped Tampa against Washington? Anyone...

Archived