The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Flyers Neuvirth out with injury, Nilsson possible trade replacement

My favourite part of that article: 

“If Neuvirth's injury is serious, it puts the Flyers at the top of the list of teams searching for a goaltender before the deadline, since Brian Elliott (lower body) will be out until late March.”

We’ll have to wait and see how Neuvirth is. But if it is serious then I’m all for making a trade. 

2 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Will be interesting to see what happens with Nilsson. I don't see how the Canucks can move him without getting another minor league goalie at worst in return. Maybe a 4th round pick and a minor league back up is realistic?

I really strongly do believe Nilsson would be a better goalie partner with Demko.  Markstrom is arrogant borderline cocky and thinks he deserves the world. I dislike him especially the way he appears to be with Nilsson.  Nilsson is super calm, patient, waits for his opportunities.  he would be far better suited to play with Demko.  Do you really want an angry or resentful Markstrom sabotaging Nilsson?  Markstrom wants to be the man yet cannot be the man.  He is not going to be impressed when a young 22 yr old Demko shows up and tries to steal his spot. The fans will be cheering for Demko and Markstrom will hate it here.

Freeing up cap space next year by moving Nilsson (or Markstrom) seems wise since we eventually have to bring Demko up.  I don't think there is much of a return, even with him playing OK lately.

Playing Demko this year has pro's and con's.  He needs to get some NHL starts in order to see how ready he is and what he has to work on.  On the other hand, you don't want him getting destroyed game after game.  I guess as our back up you can protect him and give him more sporadic starts with lots of technical practice between to sharpen him up.

8 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Trade Nilsson but bring up Bachman as the backup.

Demko should play the entire year in Utica for the playoffs and be given a chance for Canucks backup next year.

Trade Nilsson or Markstrom doesn't matter to me but agree with what your saying for who to bring up to replace one of them. Demko shouldn't be called up and should finish the year with Utica, and I think that's what management wants to do with him anyways, just hope they do go through with that if they do decide to trade one.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Just more speculation from people that think other GMs are lining up to give Benning draft picks for our players, but the only think getting in the away is GMJB's stubbornness.  Getting their hopes up just fuels more whining and complaining when the Canucks don't go into the next draft with 20+ picks.

please elaborate? I wouldn't think of that term to describe any of Jim's moves. I thought that crowd thought Jim was too quick to make moves? I'm confused now. 

I think things are tightening up in the playoff races. St Louis/Min/Wpg/Ana/ SanJ/ Dallas/Toronto

Now is the time to trade in assets for picks. A goalie might be one of our strengths going in with Philly (or another bubble team).

Veteran D

Scoring depth

Git'R'Done Jimmy!

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

please elaborate? I wouldn't think of that term to describe any of Jim's moves. I thought that crowd thought Jim was too quick to make moves? I'm confused now. 

I think he was just being facetious. Many posters here think it is GMJB's fault when trades they think should happen, don't happen.

Archived