The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Flyers Neuvirth out with injury, Nilsson possible trade replacement

I see Winnipeg being a great trading partner for Philly on this one. Nilsson won’t snag us a great return, not great enough that it’s worth pulling Demko out of the AHL playoffs. Unless, this trade becomes bigger and involves Guddy, Tanev, or Vanek.

2 minutes ago, Kubrick said:

I see Winnipeg being a great trading partner for Philly on this one. Nilsson won’t snag us a great return, not great enough that it’s worth pulling Demko out of the AHL playoffs. Unless, this trade becomes bigger and involves Guddy, Tanev, or Vanek.

Tanev + Nilsson for one of those top d prospects the Flyers have would be a nice starting point.  

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

please elaborate? I wouldn't think of that term to describe any of Jim's moves. I thought that crowd thought Jim was too quick to make moves? I'm confused now. 

I meant some people think JB keeps too many vets and is unwilling to trade them off for picks

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I meant some people think JB keeps too many vets and is unwilling to trade them off for picks

sorry, lame attempt at humour on my part.

I think people forget we had guys like Garrison, Burrows, Hansen  and Bieksa. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sorry, lame attempt at humour on my part.

I think people forget we had guys like Garrison, Burrows, Hansen  and Bieksa. 

Heh, saw the reply quickly on my new phone, haven't downloaded the humour translater for it yet I guess.:P

5 hours ago, 70seven said:

Eddie Lack got a late 3rd and a 7th.  He was playing better than Nilsson.

Best case scenario for Nilsson is a 4th or 5th imo. 

eddie was traded in the off season

this in season trade would be filling a pressing need

the bargaining value right now is higher for the team with the goalie

3 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

eddie was traded in the off season

this in season trade would be filling a pressing need

the bargaining value right now is higher for the team with the goalie

That’s a fair point, I just don’t think his value is very high considering that his numbers are horrible and he’s incredibly inconsistent. 

Better options out there imo, or within other organizations 

3 hours ago, Kubrick said:

Provorov. 

Perhaps it entices Nikita to come home.

um? :wub:

he is home already

that is why he left here

i think you are confused

maybe you also need to be reminded about the power of spouses

remember pronger.. remember why he left edmonton

well tryam was under similar pressure in leaving vancouver

and he went back home as a result

1 minute ago, 70seven said:

That’s a fair point, I just don’t think his value is very high considering that his numbers are horrible and he’s incredibly inconsistent. 

Better options out there imo, or within other organizations 

you could be right

but no matter what

flyers overpay if they make that goalie trade

I'd happily trade Nilsson for whoever if that means Demko can get a few games in at the end of this year with the Canucks. It'll be a good thing for Demko to see what he needs to work on and to see how the team responds with a young goalie in front of them. Demko can play with the Canucks this year and participate in Utica Comets playoff run. Those two things can exist in the same universe and it can be done especially since the Canucks won't be in the playoffs this year and the Utica Comets most likely will + the Comets do have Richard Bachman who can tend the net until Demko returns after a month's stay in the NHL (that's really only how long the Canucks would have him around for).

That said, as some other posters have mentioned, the Jets have a bit of a goalie logjam right now so they make sense as a trading partner. With Hutchinson's expiring contract, I could see the Jets flipping him for a pick to the Flyers. Although Hutchinson is currently injured, so it might be a harder sell.

And if the Flyers want a more "permanent" fix in Net, they may go after Aaron Dell, the Sharks backup. A guy who is legitimately challenging Martin Jones for the starters job in San Jose and looks like he should be a starter next season. (In fairness, I could see the Hurricanes making a run at Dell too possibly flipping Ward and  pick for Dell).

But yeah, I'm all for the Canucks getting more picks + prospects with whatever they can and so if that means Nilsson gets dealt for a 4th or 5th or 6th/7th, I'm all for it.

5 hours ago, Kubrick said:

Provorov. 

Perhaps it entices Nikita to come home.

Provorov plays for them now and averages like 23 minutes a game. He is the last of their good young dmen they’d move! Travis Sanhiem or Myers are the only two you could probably get and even Sanhiem might be tough. Maybe make them a nice package of Tanev, Baertschi and Nilsson for MacDonald, Sanhiem++

Philly is loaded with D prospects we could make a very interesting multi player trade with them something along the lines of gudbranson Markstom Vanek  for myers/Sanheim neuvirth and a 2nd 

i know a lot of people don’t think they would be willing to part with some blue chip D prospects but they already got ghost hagg Provorov manning on their back end and the likes of Sanheim Myers and Morin all knocking on the door and gudbranson gives them something they need now vanek adds a little depth and they get a goalie who can possibly steal Elliots job we get another 1b goalie a much needed dman prospect and a second rounder we can use to select a dman 

5 hours ago, coastal.view said:

um? :wub:

he is home already

that is why he left here

i think you are confused

maybe you also need to be reminded about the power of spouses

remember pronger.. remember why he left edmonton

well tryam was under similar pressure in leaving vancouver

and he went back home as a result

Minor difference Tryamkin wasn’t boning the weather girl here. Pronger made his own bed literally and figuratively. 

Archived