The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Former Canuck would you Draft today to help this team

mikeyman109

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

At least we weren’t the only ones to miss.  We really deserve Dhalin!

But we passed on him 3 times! At least we took a couple of useful players in the first two rounds (Vaive and Ashton). I guess I might have hated Messier a little less if we had drafted him........nah, probably not.

39 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Would it be wrong to say that a young Luongo wouldn't be out of this mix?  Either that or Ohlund.  Love Bure, but we need back end help more than we need it at forward.  Tho if I could, I'd do one at each major position.  Luongo, Ohlund, and Bure would have made this years team a lot more enjoyable, and watching Bure and Boesser outscore the opposition would be exciting.

bure would simply force the other team to back up

go watch clips of him. i saw him live many times

he relieved a lot of pressure on our d

as the other team was mostly in conservative mode when he was on the ice

or he'd make them look foolish

other teams played a bit more like they were on a penalty kill when they faced him

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

He could have been if we didn't favor Ken Ellacott over him...............

3 47 Vancouver Ken Ellacott G Peterborough Petes [OHA] 12 0 0 0 0 1982-83
3 48 Edmonton Mark Messier C Cincinnati Stingers [WHA] 1756 694 1193 1887 1910 2003-04

When you look at the next round, it doesn't get much better when we favoured Art Rutland over Glenn Anderson... :wacko:

4 68 Vancouver Art Rutland F Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHA]            
4 69 Edmonton Glenn Anderson F U. of Denver [WCHA] 1129 498 601 1099 1120 1995-96

19 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

When you look at the next round, it doesn't get much better when we favoured Art Rutland over Glenn Anderson... :wacko:

4 68 Vancouver Art Rutland F Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds [OHA]            
4 69 Edmonton Glenn Anderson F U. of Denver [WCHA] 1129 498 601 1099 1120 1995-96

Wasn't all bad that draft year.  We did draft a Selke Trophy winner.   Unfortunately, he didn't win that trophy as a Canuck.  And Rick Vaive (other guy drafted that year) did have a couple 50 goal seasons (again, too bad it wasn't as a Canuck).

If you can draft two quality NHLers like that in a given draft year - you'd consider yourself lucky  (and Brent Ashton, another drafter NHLer that year, had a lengthy NHL career).  (key is you don't deal them & develop them properly)

As much as I hate to say this, Alf is right, Messier was the best player in the league for a couple years when the best competition ever was still in their primes.  Bure played half as much but would still be a good pick.  Not sure why so many are high on Ohlund, he was a solid all round defenseman no doubt but not HHOF material.  Mogilny would be my third choice, fourth Luongo, he was amazing his first stint in FLD, and with us too.   Then maybe Reinhart.  

Archived