The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler stats watch

CrosbyGold

I think the biggest issue from the fans perspective is they only remember the bad plays... And I'm not including everyone in this statement... they expect 100% execution like players are in EA sports NHL2018 and they can just click the "pass" button and wala perfect pass. Or that the timing and opportunity to make that great play can just be duplicated if he "only" tried harder... :rolleyes:

Comments in this thread "One minute he is playing like a Norris type defensman, and the next minute a bone headed gaffe" (no offense) seemingly implying that Edler makes a boneheaded gaffe every other minute... when it's more like every other game if that. Edler plays a steady safe game in his own end, is decent in the offensive zone and is big enough to handle himself and throw the occasional hit. Never a Norris type of player to be honest, but never ever as bad as the CDC makes him out to be.

It's not Edler's fault we haven't drafted or traded for anyone better than him... but we should be glad to have him because who do we have that is better? :huh: Imagine for a second we didn't have him lol I wish him luck reaching every next milestone playing for the team... OUR team... that he WANTS to play for.

4 hours ago, thrago said:

I think it's because he was at one time expected to be the next Lidstrom and clearly that never happened.  It's like going to an ok movie with high expectations makes the movie seem like trash. Where as those types of expectations where never on Ohlund.  

Not fair for Edler as he has been excellent for his draft position. 

anyone that had those expectations of edler is not very smart. 

Ohlund was consistent.  He didn't have the offensive ability as Edler, nor did he skate as well.... but he was a rock in the backend.  

Ohlund was way more physical and his hits were more thunderous than those thrown by Edler.  Mattias Ohlund probably should have gotten at least a nomination for the Norris during his prime.... not saying he would have won it, but he was the tier of defenseman just below the Lidstrom, Prongers, etc.  

If I had to choose for my team between having a 2010 Edler or the WCE-era Ohlund... I still would choose #2.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Everybody has been saying that Edler is gone at the end of his term.  This is not a sure thing.

The decision to re-sign Edler or not will be made at the end of next year and will depend on how the team looks then.

It could be interesting, if Green struck gold in a partnership between him and Guddy... 

1. Edler could easily end up being re-signed, or

2. Be a massive bargaining chip at next years TDL...

11 hours ago, thrago said:

I think it's because he was at one time expected to be the next Lidstrom and clearly that never happened.  It's like going to an ok movie with high expectations makes the movie seem like trash. Where as those types of expectations where never on Ohlund.  

Not fair for Edler as he has been excellent for his draft position. 

That made me laugh at the time. Nothing like setting the bar ridiculously high. That's not predicting elite in the league, it's predicting elite among all-time d-men. Setting the bar too high just leads to disappointment down the road. It's why I tend not to make bold predictions what young players will become.

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Everybody has been saying that Edler is gone at the end of his term.  This is not a sure thing.

The decision to re-sign Edler or not will be made at the end of next year and will depend on how the team looks then.

I'm of the mind that one of him or Tanev needs to be moved this year or next to continue to move the rebuild forward.

If it's Tanev moving, I'd not be remotely surprised to see a 2 - 4 year, $4m'ish Edler extension and he can slowly move down the depth chart over that deal as kids develop. 

10 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

What I am saying is I hope we are in a position where we don't have to resign him at the end of his term.

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

What I am saying is I hope we are in a position where we don't have to resign him at the end of his term.

My comment wasn't directed at you in particular.

There have been assumptions about Vanek, Gudbranson, Tanev, Edler, Benning's contract (nobody has said what the term really is) and this gets passed down as fact by the media.  Unless we are aware that they are assumptions, many could be shocked and/or outraged if his actual moves are different.  Benning is projecting next years line up but actual moves to prepare for that are subject to opportunity and who knows, a desperate team may make him a crazy offer for somebody

On 2/18/2018 at 11:46 PM, smokes said:

So Edler, eleven seasons in has the same amount of points Ohlund has eleven seasons in. Ohlund never went to the SCF with the Canucks while Edler did. Ohlund was drafted 13th while Edler was at 91. So why is Edler so constantly ripped by the fans while Ohlund is in the ROH?

Stanley Cup Finals has nothing to do with how good an individual player is thats a team thing look at McDavid top 2 best player in the league and cant get his team to playoffs.

I wonder what both of the 2 would have been if they did not suffer career effecting injuries Ohlund with his eye and Edler with his back. 

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

My comment wasn't directed at you in particular.

There have been assumptions about Vanek, Gudbranson, Tanev, Edler, Benning's contract (nobody has said what the term really is) and this gets passed down as fact by the media.  Unless we are aware that they are assumptions, many could be shocked and/or outraged if his actual moves are different.  Benning is projecting next years line up but actual moves to prepare for that are subject to opportunity and who knows, a desperate team may make him a crazy offer for somebody

I didn't think it was directed at anyone in particular just a statement as you see it.

I agree with you that moves can and most likely will be drastically different than some would like here. Most likely based on lack of a willing trade partner to give up on what we really need which  is high draft picks. I think we are saying pretty much the same thing. The market this year is full of sellers and not many buyers. That means others can shop from team to team and not have to offer up much in return. Whomever we trade i hope we don't just trade to make a trade. If we cant get decent return trading one of the signed players is not worth it.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

I didn't think it was directed at anyone in particular just a statement as you see it.

I agree with you that moves can and most likely will be drastically different than some would like here. Most likely based on lack of a willing trade partner to give up on what we really need which  is high draft picks. I think we are saying pretty much the same thing. The market this year is full of sellers and not many buyers. That means others can shop from team to team and not have to offer up much in return. Whomever we trade i hope we don't just trade to make a trade. If we cant get decent return trading one of the signed players is not worth it.

IMO that will affect the lower end of the market (Vanek) more so than the upper end (Tanev...if we're even moving him).

Especially considering Tanev isn't on an expiring deal. We don't HAVE to move him. If someone isn't going to pay his worth, we simply keep him. It's that simple. We can explore options again in the summer, next TDL etc. Teams who could use him, will simply forego a year they could have used him in the playoffs. Their loss.

And no, only the armchair GM's on CDC, twitter etc make trades for the sake of making trades.

On 18/02/2018 at 10:19 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah probably.  Pretty crazy how much disrespect he has accumulated while working his way to the top of the all-time Canucks D stats.  I'd say he's up there for the most unappreciated...but nobody competes with Doug Lidster in that regard.

I think with Edler it was the sharp decline from what he was because of the back issues, and fans in general souring on the whole core post-2011. People love to compare Ehrhoff's one great season with Vancouver to Edler's numbers all the time, when any Dman with offensive upside would've looked like a 50 point power play stud with that group of players that year. 

I'd have never called him a Norris candidate, but if every team had to pick their own Norris winner, he was that guy for several seasons.

I still think the Canucks could've done better finding a top pairing dman during the window of opportunity to win, but he's proven to be the Canucks best all around d guy year after year. Consistantly in that 30 point range logging big minutes. No one is pushing him down the depth charts, even if he is only 80% of what he could've been.

Archived