The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Russia Already Failing 2018 Olympic Drug Tests - Bronze Medal Mixed Doubles Curler Tests Positive

SabreFan1

24 minutes ago, apollo said:

How on earth can you justify doing roids for Curling... this can't be serious lol

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no kidding. I thought the only PED in curling was beer. 

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

He was busted for meldonium.  It keeps the muscles in your body oxygenated.  Athletes can use it to fight fatigue.

Google "meldonium".

33 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Google "meldonium".

We talking about curling though... 

Maybe if he was taking dexadrine or something to focus that would make some sense... but we talking about curling and muscles/fatigue?! CURLING! 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Maybe if he was taking dexadrine or something to focus that would make some sense... but we talking about curling and muscles/fatigue?! CURLING! 

The leads are the potential cheaters.  We had a guy caught for cheating from the Northern Ontario Brad Jacobs team a few years back.  I posted a picture of the Jacobs team, and those guys are huge.  Whether the drug is used as a masking agent, or simply to improve stamina there is certainly the potential for its use in curling.  

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The leads are the potential cheaters.  We had a guy caught for cheating from the Northern Ontario Brad Jacobs team a few years back.  I posted a picture of the Jacobs team, and those guys are huge.  Whether the drug is used as a masking agent, or simply to improve stamina there is certainly the potential for its use in curling.  

You may be right... the only time I curled was in high school as part of our PE class... I think once or twice. 

I still don't see how steroids can help your curling game though lol

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I did. It still doesn't make sense for curling :lol: maybe darts..... 

2 hours ago, apollo said:

I've watched curling off and on since the early-mid 80's but I can honestly say that I've never so much as laid a finger on a broom or a rock.  I have no idea if fatigue is actually a thing later on in a match...

18 minutes ago, apollo said:

You may be right... the only time I curled was in high school as part of our PE class... I think once or twice. 

I still don't see how steroids can help your curling game though lol

That would mean that he was using it for an increase in stamina since meldonium itself isn't an anabolic steroid. 

On 2/19/2018 at 10:43 AM, apollo said:

How on earth can you justify doing roids for Curling... this can't be serious lol

peds could be a variety of things, not just roids...And this is banned substance.

Just like when Nick Backstrom tested positive for a banned substance after taking CLARITIN for his allergy's in 2014 Olympics.  He wasn't allowed to play in the Gold medal game.  This is pathetic, the banned list is beyond stupid.

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think the people scoffing at his PED use for curling didn't watch any mixed doubles.  It's very fast-paced.  Also, proper sweeping can get pretty gruelling if you're doing it right.  And when youre curling two games a day for a full week, I can see it.

Exactly this ^^^^

Archived