The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Third-graders Selling AR-15 Raffle Tickets in Missouri

nucklehead

14 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I'm going to answer honestly, so don't attack me for having a different opinion on guns. 

The purpose of having a semi automatic for me is the fun factor.  I have 2 semi automatic rifles, one is a .22LR which is a small caliber, and is what I let first time shooters start with.  In Canada, .22LR is allowed to have higher capacity magazines, mine carries 25 bullets.  It's a gun that's generally too small for hunting and mine is a recreation gun only, especially since I don't hunt.  It's a genuinely fun gun to shoot at paper zombies.  My other semi auto is an SKS, which I bought because it was all I could afford at the time I got my license.  Not accurate or long enough to hunt, there is no real purpose for the gun.  People do hunt with it, but in my opinion they shouldn't.  It has a maximum capacity of 5, which is the law, it is an out of date relic if a gun, and it's only positives are it's not uncomfortable to shoot and offers decent size round.  I wouldn't buy it again knowing what I know about guns, it really has very little purpose.   Really, semi auto is just a different style of loading, it's not really a matter a purpose.  Outside recreational target shooting, what is the purpose of any gun? It becomes a weapon as soon as it is being used on a living creature.  In my opinion, there isn't a semi auto rifle, restricted or not, that is suitable to hunt with, other than small game.  Hunting should be respecting the harvest and acting as humane as possible, which means not taking a shot unless you are confident and competent enough to hit a kill zone.  To do that, you need a hunting rifle, which usually much more powerful ammunition, have a longer range, and some kind of optics.  I don't think my semi auto ruger .22 is at all comparable to a restricted firearm like the AR-15. 

That all said, the AR-15 is basically a semi-auto civilian model of the M16.  I believe that is where the nostalgia comes from for hardcore war buffs and (with all due respect)  nutters.  It's more dangerous than other weapons of the same ammo because it is really easy to operate and has a lot of inexpensive upgrades to make it more dangerous.  Thankfully in Canada, they are relegated to appropriate ranges.  

Thanks for your perspective. You sound like a dedicated and responsible gun owner.

I appreciate you explaining to me about your passion / hobby.

My concern is when these guns get bought and resold to less honorable citizens - or stolen.

You have a hobby and i am sure take all the precautions.  I respect that. 

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Completely understandable.

I wonder if it would be safer.... if the ranges had guns (  the guns not used for hunting )  and people just went to the range and used the guns on site.....

Just thinking out loud.  

Relax... it's only a regular semi-auto rifle.  People treat it as if they're raffling off a RPG, a M134 minigun, or something.  

If someone really wants to obtain a firearm for nefarious purposes, a raffle isn't the best route to take.  

Some posters on this board has/currently own or has experience with firearms and while I don't always agree with their stance, I can understand their points of view.  But most of the time, people with the least amount of knowledge with firearms seems to have the loudest opinions about them. 

25 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I wonder if it would be safer.... if the ranges had guns (  the guns not used for hunting )  and people just went to the range and used the guns on site.....

Just thinking out loud.  

Makes perfect sense.

our ski gear is in a locker on the

mountain.

works great.

42 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thanks for your perspective. You sound like a dedicated and responsible gun owner.

I appreciate you explaining to me about your passion / hobby.

My concern is when these guns get bought and resold to less honorable citizens - or stolen.

You have a hobby and i am sure take all the precautions.  I respect that. 

You need to understand that the majority of gun crimes in Canada are not guns illegally brought into Canada.  And on top of that handguns represent the most crime, over 80%, where rifles (including semi auto) equate less deaths than knives.  Canada has super strict laws, and a really hard process that you need to go through in order to obtain a gun.  There's major penalties for breaking the rules.

I know you're very liberal and love the vice, so watch what they had to say about canada's gun laws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9El7gEvJWU

40 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just thinking out loud.  

Many of those guns are collectors and are very expensive.  I know people that wouldn't let me touch there gun let alone have a range keep them.  

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You need to understand that the majority of gun crimes in Canada are not guns illegally brought into Canada.  And on top of that handguns represent the most crime, over 80%, where rifles (including semi auto) equate less deaths than knives.  Canada has super strict laws, and a really hard process that you need to go through in order to obtain a gun.  There's major penalties for breaking the rules.

I know you're very liberal and love the vice, so watch what they had to say about canada's gun laws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9El7gEvJWU

Many of those guns are collectors and are very expensive.  I know people that wouldn't let me touch there gun let alone have a range keep them.  

If they are too  uncompromising to keep their guns safe at the range.... then do not allow them ownership.

New purchasers should be required to have their new weapons ( non hunting handguns and semi auto rifles.. )   shipped directly to the range for storage.. Not allowed out of the building.....

Only hunting weapons allowed for home storage.....

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If they are too  uncompromising to keep their guns safe at the range.... then do not allow them ownership.

New purchasers should be required to have their new weapons ( non hunting handguns and semi auto rifles.. )   shipped directly to the range for storage.. Not allowed out of the building.....

What reasoning is there for that?  What makes a range a safer storage, than my gun safe?  Does canada have an issue that would make us implement something like that?  Then on top of that, are ranges just going to store all those funs for free?  That would require a lot of insurance by the guns ranges for firearms that can cost upwards of 15k.  

Here's the thing with you, you don't really think things through before you make statements and then you lock your opinion in and don't budge even after someone points out the flaws.  You live in lala land and can't be concerned about reality.

P.S You can't hunt with a handgun, handguns are restricted firearms and can only be used at the range...There's a few other ways, but I don't think you're really interested in learning.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

P.S You can't hunt with a handgun, handguns are restricted firearms and can only be used at the range...There's a few other ways, but I don't think you're really interested in learning.

Exactly, thats why all hand guns should only be allowed to be stored at a range.  

54 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What reasoning is there for that?  What makes a range a safer storage, than my gun safe?  Does canada have an issue that would make us implement something like that?  Then on top of that, are ranges just going to store all those funs for free?  That would require a lot of insurance by the guns ranges for firearms that can cost upwards of 15k.  

Here's the thing with you, you don't really think things through before you make statements and then you lock your opinion in and don't budge even after someone points out the flaws.  You live in lala land and can't be concerned about reality.

Straw purchases ?   Are a concern ...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. 

I think it firearm safety and knowledge of firearm's should be taught in school, and it should be mandatory to take the firearms safety course.

Teaches you respect for the power of the gun, but more importantly respect for the people around you. Not to mention proper muzzle and trigger control.

19 minutes ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. 

I think it firearm safety and knowledge of firearm's should be taught in school, and it should be mandatory to take the firearms safety course.

Teaches you respect for the power of the gun, but more importantly respect for the people around you. Not to mention proper muzzle and trigger control.

They have enough trouble teaching grammar and spelling in school.

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

People often steal gun safes.  Even when bolted 

And people steal guns from ranges. Even when the doors are locked. 

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/8088291-firearms-stolen-from-gormley-gun-range-police-seeking-witnesses/

If the focus is to steal a semi auto or a hand gun, how do you target people that own those. Just keep breaking into homes and hoping you luck out. And then you got to figure out how to break open a persons gun safe. Or somehow steal something that bolted down from the inside. Without being able to get into the safe a person would have to basically burn down the house. 

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you are welcome

ask yourself why you even felt the need to respond to my post

and why you seem defensive about yours

you might gain some insight

Insight? You need to learn how to have a conversation. 

Do you generally join a conversation and talk about a terrible event despite that not being the discussion at hand?  What does that event have to do with a gun being more powerful. Oh right... nothing.

again great contribution.  

Archived