The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Erik Gudbranson

On 2018-02-20 at 9:40 AM, Adarsh Sant said:

If Michal Kempny got a 3rd, Guddy could have fetched at least a 2nd

A bird in the hand is better than a bird in the bush..  we’ve got Gudbranson.. he is a decent Dman, still developing, and about to go into his prime.

In like a lamb, out like a lion.

Fair contract for team and player.

Hypothetically if we win the Draft lotto and pick Dahlin 1st, is he NHL ready. If so then do we wait another year for Juolevi or does he knock down the door and make the team?

If both make the team then what?

Edler Dahlin

Juolevi Tanev

MDZ Stecher

Pouliot Gudbranson

and our 4 million dollar man as the 7/8th D. I know we can always trade one of the above for assets but I like the look of those pairings IMO.

Please speculate on what you think would happen. Would Gudbranson displace Stecher just because of his grit and contract size?

7 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

Hypothetically if we win the Draft lotto and pick Dahlin 1st, is he NHL ready. If so then do we wait another year for Juolevi or does he knock down the door and make the team?

Edler Dahlin

Juolevi Tanev

MDZ Stecher

Pouliot Gudbranson

and our 4 million dollar man as the 7/8th D. I know we can always trade one of the above for assets but I like the look of those pairings IMO.

Please speculate on what you think would happen. Would Gudbranson displace Stecher just because of his grit and contract size?

This is one way of looking at it. Another way is that Dahlin is displacing Stecher, and both he, Pouliot, Del Zotto and Hutton (remember him?) become the bubble guys and get traded.

Or, Del Zotto gets traded, and someone gets moved to their opposite side.

Or Edler and Gudbranson pair up, which gives the team the opportunity to do a bit of grooming of Dahlin by not playing him in a shutdown situation in his rookie year, and would allow him to play a more offensive role.

There's also the "Tanev gets traded" scenario, which opens up the right side some. (No, I'm not saying he should be traded.)

Maybe Juolevi gets traded for a young forward, or, even though he could make the team he won't because of waivers etc.

And what about Biega? I'll miss him.

regards,  G.

9 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

This is one way of looking at it. Another way is that Dahlin is displacing Stecher, and both he, Pouliot, Del Zotto and Hutton (remember him?) become the bubble guys and get traded.

Or, Del Zotto gets traded, and someone gets moved to their opposite side.

Or Edler and Gudbranson pair up, which gives the team the opportunity to do a bit of grooming of Dahlin by not playing him in a shutdown situation in his rookie year, and would allow him to play a more offensive role.

There's also the "Tanev gets traded" scenario, which opens up the right side some. (No, I'm not saying he should be traded.)

Maybe Juolevi gets traded for a young forward, or, even though he could make the team he won't because of waivers etc.

And what about Biega? I'll miss him.

regards,  G.

Hey G, I did forget about Hutton, he has been easy to miss lately I guess. If my hypothetical were to happen I could not see Biega brought back into the fold unfortunately, unless they manage to get him on a Utica contract, or signed for league minimum and hope he slips through waivers.

As for the rest it is all speculation until it happens, but it would be a good problem to have

10 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

Hey G, I did forget about Hutton, he has been easy to miss lately I guess. If my hypothetical were to happen I could not see Biega brought back into the fold unfortunately, unless they manage to get him on a Utica contract, or signed for league minimum and hope he slips through waivers.

As for the rest it is all speculation until it happens, but it would be a good problem to have

1) Biega is pretty much right there, right now.

2) Biega is, in my mind, the perfect #7/ #8 dman. Every layer that makes up a 'team' needs to be addressed. It's a small layer, but Biega's value to a complete 23 man roster should not be overlooked.

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

When Gudbranson lays guys out like he was in Colorado, he's worth his contract. 100%.

But, but, small guys are the way of the future, and they're fast and more skilled and they're small and they have better hockey sense and ... so on.

Of the above claims, there's really only one which is absolutely true. They are small compared to a lot of other players.

regards,  G.

4 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

1) Biega is pretty much right there, right now.

2) Biega is, in my mind, the perfect #7/ #8 dman. Every layer that makes up a 'team' needs to be addressed. It's a small layer, but Biega's value to a complete 23 man roster should not be overlooked.

My mistake, looks like 2 years @ 825K per. I agree he is the perfect 7/8 D, work ethic alone should keep him with the big club, maybe it will wear off on younger guys

34 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

My mistake, looks like 2 years @ 825K per. I agree he is the perfect 7/8 D, work ethic alone should keep him with the big club, maybe it will wear off on younger guys

Not just work ethic, also versatility. When you can only carry 3 extra bodies on the roster, it's awfully nice when one of them can do a respectable job of playing either D or forward, as Biega does.

23 hours ago, Sedinery33 said:

Edler Dahlin

Juolevi Tanev

MDZ Stecher

Pouliot Gudbranson

Trade Del Zotto and Tanev. Recycle the older and the not core pieces out. Probably won’t be as effective when our team should be competing anyway. Trade them while their value is at its highest like every other rebuilding team does.

44 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Trade Del Zotto and Tanev. Recycle the older and the not core pieces out. Probably won’t be as effective when our team should be competing anyway. Trade them while their value is at its highest like every other rebuilding team does.

I'd say Stecher goes back to the AHL.  (No reason he couldn't, right?) Let's face it - his first season was better than expected but even then he was only on the team because we had such a crappy d.  This year he has regressed. I want to keep him in the system though since I love his work ethic and I see lots of potential in his game.  Hutton the same.  Both those guys could use further development and ice time.

Pouliot and Biega are the call-ups.

45 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Tanev is the far more difficult decision - and negotiation - because imo you need to get a particular return in order for it to make sense imo.  You can't simply gamble on dealing him to a contender for futures - their picks are late - imo you need to get a proven NHL asset plus futures - or at the very least an NHL ready bluechip prospect.  Most of the ideas - ie for Liljegren and/or picks type deals - are bad risks for this franchise to take (ie 20-25-30% odds with those types of assets).  A "bird in the hand" is worth more...

Del Zotto though - I agree with you.  I've liked him, he's been good, he works hard, he's versatile, he moves up in the lineup when there are injuries (might get a bit exposed at times) - but a good mid-range signing.  Still, if they can move him for a prospect or pick, I think you have to do so (and there were rumours Chicago were sniffing around, perhaps while they were still considering whether they could get in the playoff race...).   If there's a market for Del Zotto, would be nice to recover a future and try to bring back a replacement on July 1st - my preference would be to go after a guy like Sbisa who had only a year of term left at the ED - he'd be a good fit imo.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I'd say Stecher goes back to the AHL.  (No reason he couldn't, right?) Let's face it - his first season was better than expected but even then he was only on the team because we had such a crappy d.  This year he has regressed. I want to keep him in the system though since I love his work ethic and I see lots of potential in his game.  Hutton the same.  Both those guys could use further development and ice time.

Pouliot and Biega are the call-ups.

Every one of those D have to clear waivers. Biega is the only one that probably clears. For whatever reason I’m surprised no team has claimed Biega as I’m sure he’d be a better 7th guy then what most teams keep. The only reason we got Pouliot this year from Pitts is because he has to clear waivers. Can’t send Stetcher or Hutton down without waivers. You have to make some trades or in that previous guys post that I was referring to a very unlikely and unpopular decision of keeping one or both of Juolevi and Dahlin overseas for one more year until Benning can find them some trades instead of waiving assets and losing them for nothing.

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Every one of those D have to clear waivers. Biega is the only one that probably clears. For whatever reason I’m surprised no team has claimed Biega as I’m sure he’d be a better 7th guy then what most teams keep. The only reason we got Pouliot this year from Pitts is because he has to clear waivers. Can’t send Stetcher or Hutton down without waivers.

...interesting. And that includes the new season?  Cuz they can stay down there the whole season, or we also know they are adequate to step in permanently if required.  But if now that they are in the bigs they can't even start a season in the AHL then yes... Trades are emminent. 

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Tanev is the far more difficult decision - and negotiation - because imo you need to get a particular return in order for it to make sense imo.  You can't simply gamble on dealing him to a contender for futures - their picks are late - imo you need to get a proven NHL asset plus futures - or at the very least an NHL ready bluechip prospect.  Most of the ideas - ie for Liljegren and/or picks type deals - are bad risks for this franchise to take (ie 20-25-30% odds with those types of assets).  A "bird in the hand" is worth more...

Del Zotto though - I agree with you.  I've liked him, he's been good, he works hard, he's versatile, he moves up in the lineup when there are injuries (might get a bit exposed at times) - but a good mid-range signing.  Still, if they can move him for a prospect or pick, I think you have to do so (and there were rumours Chicago were sniffing around, perhaps while they were still considering whether they could get in the playoff race...).   If there's a market for Del Zotto, would be nice to recover a future and try to bring back a replacement on July 1st - my preference would be to go after a guy like Sbisa who had only a year of term left at the ED - he'd be a good fit imo.

Hehe, only to lose him in the next expansion draft.  He could be the 21st century version of Leif Rohlin, except he gets selected.

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Hehe, only to lose him in the next expansion draft.  He could be the 21st century version of Leif Rohlin, except he gets selected.

you mean again?  lose him to Seattle?  so be it.  is there a way around that kind of thing?

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

you mean again?  lose him to Seattle?  so be it.  is there a way around that kind of thing?

If Sbisa legitimately made his way back to the Canucks organization (such as through UFA) I don't see why they couldn't expose him and lose him again.  It would be odd, but still funny.  Although by the time the Seattle expansion draft happens there will probably be better players than Sbisa that the Canucks would be forced to expose.

On 2/28/2018 at 6:14 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Every one of those D have to clear waivers. Biega is the only one that probably clears. For whatever reason I’m surprised no team has claimed Biega as I’m sure he’d be a better 7th guy then what most teams keep. The only reason we got Pouliot this year from Pitts is because he has to clear waivers. Can’t send Stetcher or Hutton down without waivers. You have to make some trades or in that previous guys post that I was referring to a very unlikely and unpopular decision of keeping one or both of Juolevi and Dahlin overseas for one more year until Benning can find them some trades instead of waiving assets and losing them for nothing.

Biega's the perfect 7/8 D, I HIGHLY doubt we'd waive him. Nor are we going to leave a Stech or similar in that spare role instead of him. 

If we are to play with this theory of winning the lotto and landing Dahlin, trades will need to be made off that right side. Does Dahlin make Stech expendable? Do we move Tanev for likely the best return? I highly doubt we move Guddy given we otherwise lack his skill set and JUST re-signed him. Time will tell.

I wouldn't mind trying to target a guy like Mike Green for short 3'ish year term if we don't win the Dahlin lotto and land say Boqvist or Bouchard (who are likely a couple years off). My guess is Green heads to a contender but we might be able to throw more $$ at him (short term anyway). That could also make Tanev (or Stech, though I'd prefer to keep him) expendable and again, get us some other assets/futures.

Trades already need to be made on that left side regardless of what happens at the draft. We can't start next season with Edler, MDZ, Pouliot, Hutton as NHL capable depth top 6 and Juolevi, McEneny etc all knocking on the door. SOMEONE needs to go this summer (if not two someone's if we plan on targeting a short term UFA there too).

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Biega's the perfect 7/8 D, I HIGHLY doubt we'd waive him. Nor are we going to leave a Stech or similar in that spare role instead of him. 

If we are to play with this theory of winning the lotto and landing Dahlin, trades will need to be made off that right side. Does Dahlin make Stech expendable? Do we move Tanev for likely the best return? I highly doubt we move Guddy given we otherwise lack his skill set and JUST re-signed him. Time will tell.

I wouldn't mind trying to target a guy like Mike Green for short 3'ish year term if we don't win the Dahlin lotto and land say Boqvist or Bouchard (who are likely a couple years off). My guess is Green heads to a contender but we might be able to throw more $$ at him (short term anyway). That could also make Tanev (or Stech, though I'd prefer to keep him) expendable and again, get us some other assets/futures.

Trades already need to be made on that left side regardless of what happens at the draft. We can't start next season with Edler, MDZ, Pouliot, Hutton as NHL capable depth top 6 and Juolevi, McEneny etc all knocking on the door. SOMEONE needs to go this summer (if not two someone's if we plan on targeting a short term UFA there too).

I thought the exact same thing about Biega to start this year and was very surprised nobody claimed him then. While I do think Biega probably gets claimed I’d really like to avoid sending him down because he deserves to be here. Benning is gonna have to find some trades so hopefully teams needing dmen still have picks left to part with.

28 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I thought the exact same thing about Biega to start this year and was very surprised nobody claimed him then. While I do think Biega probably gets claimed I’d really like to avoid sending him down because he deserves to be here. Benning is gonna have to find some trades so hopefully teams needing dmen still have picks left to part with.

Biega wasn't waived.

Archived