The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Erik Gudbranson

On 2/28/2018 at 6:14 PM, flickyoursedin said:

Every one of those D have to clear waivers. Biega is the only one that probably clears. For whatever reason I’m surprised no team has claimed Biega as I’m sure he’d be a better 7th guy then what most teams keep. The only reason we got Pouliot this year from Pitts is because he has to clear waivers. Can’t send Stetcher or Hutton down without waivers. You have to make some trades or in that previous guys post that I was referring to a very unlikely and unpopular decision of keeping one or both of Juolevi and Dahlin overseas for one more year until Benning can find them some trades instead of waiving assets and losing them for nothing.

If we happened to win the lottery and get Dahlin I could give a rats ass who we lose in waivers.  No one on our team is worth diddly squat compared to what Dahlin is going to become as a player.  And at the end of the day Biega would be the one exposed of the current crop of D. 

Also Biega hasn't been placed on waivers for over 2 years now.  

3 hours ago, Russ said:

If we happened to win the lottery and get Dahlin I could give a rats ass who we lose in waivers.  No one on our team is worth diddly squat compared to what Dahlin is going to become as a player.  And at the end of the day Biega would be the one exposed of the current crop of D. 

Also Biega hasn't been placed on waivers for over 2 years now.  

Yeah that was my bad I thought we put him through waivers this year. Yeah no doubt if we win the Dahlin sweepstakes he immediately becomes our number one dman and you make any trade or waive your worst guy to make room.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:13 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

When Gudbranson lays guys out like he was in Colorado, he's worth his contract. 100%.

He has played quite well since the signing and against the Coyotes, only he and Jake were awake in terms of players not in net.    He layed some nice hits and created some space that was not used by anyone other than Jake.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He has played quite well since the signing and against the Coyotes, only he and Jake were awake in terms of players not in net.    He layed some nice hits and created some space that was not used by anyone other than Jake.

Damn rights!

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Nice game for Guds last night. Hard to imagine the team without him on it. Glad he is here for at least three more years.

yes - 5 hits - very good 'underlying numbers' again, but more importantly very solid and continues to lead the blueline in on ice goals against / 60 at 2.1.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yes - 5 hits - very good 'underlying numbers' again, but more importantly very solid and continues to lead the blueline in on ice goals against / 60 at 2.1.

careful, the analytics-only group will scold you for saying things like on on ice ga and oisv% don't mean anything, particularly when it comes to Guddy. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

careful, the analytics-only group will scold you for saying things like on on ice ga and oisv% don't mean anything, particularly when it comes to Guddy. 

I really could care less about his numbers given the overall team this year but the optics since he did re-sign are excellent.   He is indeed hitting with regularity, making good first passes and jumping up even on occasion.   He looks engaged, he is smiling/joking at times on the bench (that does wonders for a team) and he seems to be pad whacking/butt tapping in a "let's go boys" way as he grows into one of the younger leaders on the team.    When the Canucks return to the playoffs he will be force.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I really could care less about his numbers given the overall team this year but the optics since he did re-sign are excellent.   He is indeed hitting with regularity, making good first passes and jumping up even on occasion.   He looks engaged, he is smiling/joking at times on the bench (that does wonders for a team) and he seems to be pad whacking/butt tapping in a "let's go boys" way as he grows into one of the younger leaders on the team.    When the Canucks return to the playoffs he will be force.

I can imagine that the contract talks were pretty tough on him, he really had some crap luck (and coaching in year 1 here) and it would be hard to shake that off and perform well every night, so now that the contract is out of the way I'm not surprised he's looser out there. I'm really happy he's part of the team. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can imagine that the contract talks were pretty tough on him, he really had some crap luck (and coaching in year 1 here) and it would be hard to shake that off and perform well every night, so now that the contract is out of the way I'm not surprised he's looser out there. I'm really happy he's part of the team. 

He is still so young for Dman too.   Just coming into his own.   He skates so well for a guy that size - a little more confidence and coaching and what a nice solid player at a reasonable price the Canucks have on their hands.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is still so young for Dman too.   Just coming into his own.   He skates so well for a guy that size - a little more confidence and coaching and what a nice solid player at a reasonable price the Canucks have on their hands.

for sure. That is a deal I think most GMs would have been happy to do. Well maybe not Chayka :lol: The only thing i don't like about his game this year is how he and Hutton play together, not sure why that doesn't work so well, but hopefully the Edler-Guddy pairing keeps going more next year. Maybe Juolevi-Guddy the year after that?

6 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Worst defensive d man that ever lived; so much indecision with the puck &  looks so uncomfortable in his zone. if only he had Troys smarts & battle in him 

Wrong thread.

Actually, wrong message board.

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Not sure if it's been noted but Guds can be traded three years from now at the deadline as well. Will probably get same value then as now. With no clauses in his contract it makes it an even better deal for the club. 

If you look at his performance since being re-signed - as he seems to get a bit healthier, a bit more settled into the lineup, getting in better game shape, etc - it becomes clearer that the 'risk' of his relative value increasing was a very good one to take - imo a no-brainer.

Just now, oldnews said:

If you look at his performance since being re-signed - as he seems to get a bit healthier, a bit more settled into the lineup, getting in better game shape, etc - it becomes clearer that the 'risk' of his relative value increasing was a very good one to take - imo a no-brainer.

Yip. He is really just entering his prime. Very happy to have him. 

if Gudbranson can play the way he has the last 2 games for us more often I’m much more confident in this blue line going forward, the way he played for Florida in the playoffs 2 years ago was warrior status and those are the kinda guys we need once we take that next step to being a playoff team 

Archived