The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VIDEO: Erik Gudbranson will be a locker room leader and culture carrier

Canuck Clay

He'll be one of the faces of the franchise. He's even in the pepsi ad without having done much on the ice for the team. 

It helps when he's probably one of the best looking guys in the NHL. He's very marketable. 

What a beauty...

Image result for erik gudbranson

There is no way the Canucks could have traded him and recouped equivalent assets to what they paid in acquiring him: McCann, second and fourth rounder. Signing him for 3 years at $4 million allows them to save face, have one big guy on D and trade him later if needed with certain term and salary. Altogether better than letting him go for a third round pick or whatever scraps are being offered in this poor TDL market. I do hope they can trade some UFAs for picks or prospects this year.

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

There is no way the Canucks could have traded him and recouped equivalent assets to what they paid in acquiring him: McCann, second and fourth rounder. Signing him for 3 years at $4 million allows them to save face, have one big guy on D and trade him later if needed with certain term and salary. Altogether better than letting him go for a third round pick or whatever scraps are being offered in this poor TDL market. I do hope they can trade some UFAs for picks or prospects this year.

When i heard he signed for 4 mil...

I thought it was 1. 3 for each of 3 years......  Seems about right for a  6/ 7 D man. 

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

I think before he's done Vancouver is going to come out looking like thieves.  Every team wants a big defender, he's still very young and we've likely not seen the best he has to offer yet.  Just in case he doesn't improve the team should still get decent value ( as long as he stays healthy) and isn't anchored with a long burden.  Guddy comes across as a guy who wants to get better and improve himself.  Reminds me of a young Willie Mitchell.

Nice take, Clay and I agree. Keeping him right now just makes sense.  He fills a toughness and leadership role extremely well as we transition in the kids.  Directly related to the “development” half of draft and develop that the negative nellies disregard.

Whatever assets we don’t get today by trading him one would assume can be recouped in the future.  His cap hit isn’t prohibitive to making future signings or trades by any means and the term works.  Our RHD situation is decent with Tanev, Stecher and Guddy but beyond them it’s pretty thin - so there’s a literal spot for him as well.  A team is more than the sum of its parts and ours gains a lot from adding that dash of veteran toughness - especially if we want Jake and later Gaudette/Gadjovich to play that way as well. 

On that note, I think we haven’t seen the best of EG yet.  He’s had some tough luck since the trade and has looked pretty good lately.  Getting healthy and with a decent D partner should go a long way. Let’s hope it continues.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

When i heard he signed for 4 mil...

I thought it was 1. 3 for each of 3 years......  Seems about right for a  6/ 7 D man. 

Totally.  I'm just still in shock that our dimwit management team would sign a guy for a mil or so less than what he would go for in free agency.... what a bunch of idiots.  

This sets him up for a monster contract to close out his career, should be become more than a 4 million dollar stay at home guy.  And the contract sets us up for a potential big time trade at some point in the future.  Win, win.

Gud job, Mr. Benning!  And Gud luck, Eric!

12 hours ago, canucker1971 said:

I am glad Gudbranson is good off the ice because tonight he is awful on the ice

Not a tanker I take it.  Give it time, with the right partner (Juolevi?) the pairing should level out and become pretty solid.  This team needs more toughness, and he bring that.  It's too bad he hurt his wrist as it probably will affect his willingness to drop the gloves, but everyone knows how dangerous he is, and if he commits to dropping them they risk a beat down.  His fight with Martin (a win) was one of the highest ranked fights of the year on hockeyfights.com, his reach and Jovonoski like fury makes him one tough customer.

Who else do we even have that can do that?  Nobody.

Just now, IBatch said:

Not a tanker I take it.  Give it time, with the right partner (Juolevi?) the pairing should level out and become pretty solid.  This team needs more toughness, and he bring that.  It's too bad he hurt his wrist as it probably will affect his willingness to drop the gloves, but everyone knows how dangerous he is, and if he commits to dropping them they risk a beat down.  His fight with Martin (a win) was one of the highest ranked fights of the year on hockeyfights.com, his reach and Jovonoski like fury makes him one tough customer.

Who else do we even have that can do that?  Nobody.

Which is complete craziness to me because Benning came from the BIG bad Bruins. Just crazy soft here.

Archived