The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts - Canucks part

Outsiders

49 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Friedman and MacKenzie are the 2 best in the business.  Always informative and professional. 

Elliote Friedman is usually VERY profesional, unless of course it comes to SWIMMING events, and more specifically the last ever race for Michael Phelps. If you kindly rememeber, Mr Friedman got Phelps mixed up and had called the race with Phelps coming in fifth place. Meanwhile, it was Phelps who had actually won the race by about three lengths. It was the legends last ever race, and was one of the biggest commentating gaffs I have ever witnessed.

2 minutes ago, canucker1971 said:

Elliote Friedman is usually VERY profesional, unless of course it comes to SWIMMING events, and more specifically the last ever race for Michael Phelps. If you kindly rememeber, Mr Friedman got Phelps mixed up and had called the race with Phelps coming in fifth place. Meanwhile, it was Phelps who had actually won the race by about three lengths. It was the legends last ever race, and was one of the biggest commentating gaffs I have ever witnessed.

Don't watch swimming so I'll give Friedman the benefit of the doubt being out of his element.

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Always liked Elliott's thoughts on the Canucks. Seems to be one of the few journalists that actually seeks out real information. And when it's a guess he will phrase it as such. Pretenders like Dreger and O'Neil put little effort into what goes on with this side of the country.

Dreger is a farce who’s still lucky to be in the business. Not only has he not broken something in a while, he conveniently tweets his “breaking news” minutes after guys like McKenzie and Elliott. For some reason or another, Dreger has lost his insider sources and the public is starting to take notice. 

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Dreger is a farce who’s still lucky to be in the business. Not only has he not broken something in a while, he conveniently tweets his “breaking news” minutes after guys like McKenzie and Elliott. For some reason or another, Dreger has lost his insider sources and the public is starting to take notice. 

That's great. Hacks like him should fizzle out and disappear. 

Friedman with that always pretentious edge.

He doesn't know what the market for Gudbranson was, or whether the Canucks liked it or not.

Benning clearly indicated the intention to re-sign Gudbranson - Gudbranson showed his desire to stay in Vancouver - that is what is known.

Friedman's list of "big" players is a whiff.

Namestnikov is a 180lb guy.  Nelson is a bigger guy, but not particularly physical.

Not sure he understood what Benning was talking about.  Sounds like he's thinking of it as a "big" acquisition. 

I think Benning meant literally a big guy - physical - plays a heavy game - hard to play againts - that can still make plays -  that type of "big".

1 hour ago, mll said:

More likely Bjugstad.

so a bigger framed guy who plays like he is the size of domi?

I only take bjugstad if we can somehow dump eriksson. Bjugstad is over 4m cap hit, not something we should be going after unless cap is going back that way. He has underwhelmed since coming into the league imo

12 minutes ago, Yotes said:

so a bigger framed guy who plays like he is the size of domi?

I only take bjugstad if we can somehow dump eriksson. Bjugstad is over 4m cap hit, not something we should be going after unless cap is going back that way. He has underwhelmed since coming into the league imo

Bjugstad has 10 5 on5 goals, 29 pts (would be 6th on this team), would be 2nd among forwards in hits, 52.4% in the faceoff circle, and top 5 underlying numbers on the Panthers.

He has averaged 39 points / 82 as a 20 to 25 year old in the NHL.

What makes him underwhelming?  Maybe people have unrealstic expectations?

I'd take a 'risk' on him at the right price - particularly if that price is significantly effected by Florida's budget and need to drop cap - as has been the case in a few of their recent deals, including Reilly Smith (for a 4th round pick).

He was a 42pt/82g player, making similar money - (who now has 51 pts in 59g in LV btw)

Anyhow, I'd definitely be talking to Dale Tallon if the Panthers are looking like they won't be gaining playoff revenue.....and Bjugstad at the right price - you have to look at that.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Article] Elliotte Friedman's 31 thoughts - Canucks part

Archived