The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

Went to some classes(after 1st p, scoreless!)..funny score to return home to.

Good for the stealth-tank:

- Sedins in OT

- Our PK!(sic)

- Forrest Gump Choc 'tending-tandem

<<Back a pg or two, someone mentioned Van's position/high cap-expenditure. We've got some vet placeholders(Like Mega Disaster Zone & Gags) taking minuses, overpaid..yet giving us time to grow our prospects..Patience y'all. It's better than rushing our youth, then having those kids marked with minuses & overuse-injuries.

The cavalry is coming. We're (Finally!) getting a lil tougher. Be getting bigger & faster too. Demko's a beaut.. & a Utica spring-run, might have his table set for success.

Eagerly anticipating next Fall!

GCG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lastly..**** the daft Lotto! Forget about Dahlin..forgettaboutit.

Don't count on that..we know how this league is run. One more top-7 pick for JB should get 'er done. The man will continue to unearth gems in unlikely rounds.

Just play the bums, & finish fairly low. Trade a few bodies for some extra picks. Next yr we start to run with the pack.

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Maybe a badly needed goalie coach change ;)

clouts1.bmp

I think that once you have reached a level in the NHL you don't really need a coach, you need an inspiration...Clootch isn't that guy. Our goalies need to be spoken to about making those big stops, making the clutch saves, being able to communicate with your team. etc...How much longer are these goalies going to allow Ed"turd" to screen them... I would be like if you want to be in front of me...CLEAR the front of me...If not get out of the way as it is easier to see around one player let alone 2...

12 hours ago, Slegr said:

For those frustrated with the goals against on the penalty kill, this is life without Chris Tanev. For those demanding we trade him, please come to expect many games like this in our future without his solid defensive presence. 

no One was demanding they trade Tanev, they were saying we should explore it and see what we can get for him. And not trade him unless we get a boatload back. Tanev isnt going to solve their problems in 4 years when the team starts to evolve.

Sat and watched the game last night uninterrupted. Some thoughts on things

Jake and Goldy are coming. I think Green has the formula with these young kids. Don't give them anything they haven't earned and make them work their damn butts off  to get it.

Archie looks like he belongs here . Third line minutes a goal and some punishing hits especially in the first minute.Right off the bat set the tone.

Boeser looks like he is playing hurt. He isn't shooting anymore instead trying to be the play-maker. If he is hurt then let him get healthy

Bo is looking good and continues to be dangerous.

The PK had a very bad night. The shots that beat Nilsson were fairly fine one off the post and In. The Team did not play well in front of him on the Kill.He is not Patrick Roy or Marty Brodeur for sure

Now the Sedins.... Its sad to see the decline of these great players. I know there are a lot of people on both sides of the argument of whether they should retire or not. I am on the retire side. Last night they chased the puck most of the night. if they win the face off in the O zone they are fine they can control the puck and make plays but when they lose the puck or the face-off to start they are a defensive liability and cannot get back fast enough to back check. They are not able to handle the speed of the younger players and teams are figuring that out.They are scored on more than ever before and when they are not scored on they give up penalties like never before.Refs are used to seeing this and when a player chicken wings the stick and falls down they call the penalty because that's what happens 90% of the time anyways.Its time . Its time to let them go and build with what is here. The speed of the game has passed them by.

4 goals scored last night not one Sedin Point. The Sedin line had 3 penalties last night and all three led to Colorado goals.

Green played a lot of people before the Sedins in OT, maybe he has seen enough

2 hours ago, rekker said:

I was a staunch supporter of having the twins back for next year but am definitely wavering on that now. It seems they are mostly pin cushions now for criticism. Some just. Some unjust. Ultimately I think it is time to turn the page now and develop the speed game ala the successfull teams in the NHL. Time to throw the kids into the fire. Sutter, Guds, Edler, Gagne, Loui, Tanev, MDZ, Bo, are there for primary leadership roles. Several players are ready to take over secondary leadership roles. I think it's time.

That's another part of it -- do we really want to see the Sedins go out on a farewell tour where they're being lit up by opponents exposing them?  They've been better this year, but games like last night are more the norm.  I don't think they want to go out that way either -- struggling to get minutes, limited sheltered TOI, etc.

image.png.87d2bc434d66d78ff12279f709d3d762.png

What happened to the PK? Just horrible, 5 goals. Is that an Avs or Canucks record?

The Sedins strongest attribute IMO is their puck possession. They can still occasionally do some great things with the puck, but without it, they are a liability. Speed is the name of the game now, and they are slowing down, and unable to keep up the intensity. I am hoping they do the right thing by either retiring at the end of the season or accepting a trade to win a Cup, giving some younger Canucks players a chance of their own. Burrows agreed to it, so should the Sedins.

Boeser is playing hurt, and should be resting. It's not worth the risk. The Calder is Barzal's anyway.

Horvat, Goldobin and Virtanen all looked good, this is very promising.

I love Archibald. Makes peanuts but has a big heart and gives his all. Really great to see him give out big hits and make opponents miserable. Biega is just like this too.

41 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

They gotta lose more game FFSake .... ran simulator 15 times ... 9/15 we draft 7th! 3 others at 6th.

They need to make trades to get picks and prospects...Vanek, Tanev, Gagner, LE, Edler, Granlund, Gaunce, Dowd, Sedins should all be shopped to see what is being offered.

With some of them gone, then the young guns will get some more ice time...that may translate into close games but losses...however, they might get better if some of the slow vets are gone and replaced with younger and faster players...don't know until it happens.

16 hours ago, oldnews said:

The Horvat Baer Boeser line has been getting owned lately - on a fairly consistent basis.  Green has consistently been tilting the ice for them, and they're fading / getting outplayed.Understandable if BB is fading somewhat in his first NHL season - a huge jump from college to that grind.

But I think that line might need a different winger than Sven.  I like him, but do they need a hard areas, hard on the forecheck, bigger body on Boeser's opposing wing?   That or more speed / or both.

Erikson plays good with Bo.  Loui gets most of his goals off rebounds infront of the net and Bo provides plenty of those.

7 minutes ago, Borderline Canuck said:

Erikson plays good with Bo.  Loui gets most of his goals off rebounds infront of the net and Bo provides plenty of those.

True.  Loui is also a better defensive forward, and like you said, better in the hard areas.

I think ideally they need someone that can get in hard on the forecheck, park in the paint and demand attention, with some speed/transition game - so that Boeser has some more space - essentially create more space for Brock - not unlike what the team has looked for in the past in a winger for the Sedins - someone to puck hound, get in on the opposing blueline - and take some of the defensive load.  Loui might be better than Sven in the short run, but I think longer term it might need to be someone like Jake, or a natural LW that they might look to acquire, perhaps dealing Baertschi in the process.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think ideally they need someone that can get in hard on the forecheck, park in the paint and demand attention, with some speed/transition game - so that Boeser has some more space - essentially create more space for Brock - not unlike what the team has looked for in the past in a winger for the Sedins - someone to puck hound, get in on the opposing blueline - and take some of the defensive load.

Something like a... Domi?

Archived